PDA

View Full Version : Files Wont Save

xtremeskier_
10-06-2004, 06:37 PM
Yea, I thought my small network farm was all set up and I did a sreamernet II render, and it looked like everything was goin all good, then it finished and the files weren't saved to the directory. I updated all the plugins, checked all the batch files for proper coding, everything looks fine. My farm is setup by following the instructions in INSIDE Lightwave 8 if that helps. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

etobiason
10-07-2004, 03:14 PM
Make sure the render nodes have write access to the location where the files are supposed to go.

Make sure the filepath name is unique. For example, if all of your nodes have the same hard drive name, they won't know where to write the file.

Make sure you actually have checked the radio box for writing sequential RGBs. Screamernet can't make movies. You have to take the sequential files into another program like Quicktime Pro (or as a background image in LW) to write one movie file.

There may be other things to check...

xtremeskier_
10-12-2004, 10:05 PM
Thanks for the suggestions... Altho im still havin problems. All the nodes are rendering everything okay and it will even say at the end of a frame somethin like
"writing RGB file to c:\lightwave\screamer_save" But then i go look and its not there. But here is what i noticed: When it first starts a render process, i look at the dos screen on the node and it will list a bunch of plugins that it cannot find. So i went into my lightwave and re-scanned for all the plugins but it did not fix the problem. What should i do?

BeeVee
10-13-2004, 02:09 AM
Your main LightWave might be able to find all the plug-ins, but are you sure that the nodes can? If the path for a plug-in is c:\plug-ins\plugin.p your node is going to look on its own C: drive, not the host computers.

B

etobiason
10-13-2004, 08:25 AM
Ditto for the save path. If the node is looking to save to "c:\lightwave\screamer_save" and there is no lightwave\screamer_save on the node's own c drive, then that may be why it isn't saving anything.

BeeVee
10-13-2004, 08:31 AM
And doing it that will will also make you files on all your nodes, but the nicest thing is to have them all gathered on your host machine, so make sure you use network paths for *everything*.

B

PS. Look at Matt Gorner's video tutorial linked from the sticky at the top of the Screamernet forum: http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=24065

Matt
10-14-2004, 07:55 AM
Yep, the video tutorial follows the exact method I wrote for Inside LightWave 8, check it out!

Cheers
Matt

xtremeskier_
10-14-2004, 09:58 PM
Dudes, This is awesome. I got the files to save! The video really helped clear some things up for me. THANKS!!!

But what do u know... Nother problem. The jpegs that were saved are just solid purple images... Actually the color of the volumetric light that is in the scene. What am I doing wrong?

etobiason
10-14-2004, 10:09 PM
I take it that the F9 render is not purple? Maybe a setting got changed by accident, it happens. Try F9 again and see what's up. Otherwise, I'm not familiar with any erratic volumetric light behavior linked to distributed rendering... sorry I can't be of more help. Maybe one of the other guys subscribed to this link can give a better answer.

xtremeskier_
10-14-2004, 11:25 PM
Went ahead and tested a simple non volumetric scene and ended up with an all black image. Looks like its not the volumetric thats the problem. It seems like its rendering it just fine, and it saves and then its just solid black. Very strange. I will do some furthur testing, but if anyone has any idea, go ahead and throw em on here. Thanks!

etobiason
10-15-2004, 09:18 AM
I wonder...since you were having trouble with file paths...are your object files located in a place where the filename is apparent from each node? Maybe they aren't loading the models...I don't know if a scene will open and render with no models though. It's just a thought I just had.

xtremeskier_
10-17-2004, 06:30 PM
I wonder...since you were having trouble with file paths...are your object files located in a place where the filename is apparent from each node? Maybe they aren't loading the models...I don't know if a scene will open and render with no models though. It's just a thought I just had.

You were right!!! Thank you sooo much guys! This is why I choose lightwave over maya. This community rocks because you all are so helpful! Sorry for bein such a friggin noob.

Thanks again!:D