PDA

View Full Version : High Bit-Depth saving + Photoshop?

monovich
10-06-2004, 04:03 PM
Are there any high bit-depth formats that I can save LW renders to that I can open in Photoshop CS? I'd like to work on tweaking some things in 16bit mode just for fun.

I've been working with Camera RAW 12 bit files, and I love the lattitude they offer.

thx.

Steve

toby
10-06-2004, 09:45 PM
there's the PSD exporter plug-in under 'Processing tab/ Add image Filter' - you just check 16 bit - I think that's the only option right now.

Lightwolf
10-07-2004, 12:51 AM
There was also a Photoshop .flx plugin around some time ago, and there also the option of using openEXR.

In the case of .flx you might search for the PS Plugin at www.flay.com.
In the case of openEXR, www.openEXR hosts a PS plugin, and the LW plugin can be found through flay as well.

This is all PC btw, currently there is no Mac .flx plugin for PS, nor a Mac openEXR plugin for LW.

Cheers,
Mike

monovich
10-07-2004, 11:15 AM
Thanks for the replies.

It looks like I'm more or less foiled on both accounts, then, because I like to use fprime for my renders most of the time, and it can't do the image processing function. I'm basically all Mac here, so I can't use FLX.

edit: there appears to be an EXR plugin for PS Mac here:

http://savannah.nongnu.org/download/openexr/

Lightwolf
10-07-2004, 11:17 AM
edit: there appears to be an EXR plugin for PS Mac here:

I know, but there is no openEXR plugin for Mac LW...

cheers,
Mike

monovich
10-07-2004, 12:21 PM
sorry. in my haste, I missed that bit.

for shame. Mac gets the shaft once again.

Horray for Mac! It's for creative people who love being stymied and forced to use workarounds!

I guess I can use the one PC we have at work. But at home, where all great thought and experimentation happens, I don't have a PC. That may change soon. Between HDRI work and this type of thing, it's nearing time to get a PC.

-s

Mylenium
10-07-2004, 02:21 PM
The LogLUV Tif will save to 16 bit and Cineon is 10 bpc logarithmic, which comes close to something like 14 bpc linear color dynamics. You should be able to get both those into PS (you might need to find a free extra plugin for Cineons on the web). Also think of other alternatives such as HDRShop or Cinepaint (if it's available for Mac) - you could always render a HDR and then convert it there so you can use it in PS.

Mylenium

Thomas M.
10-07-2004, 03:04 PM
I recently started to save everything as a .hdr. 16bit is nice in terms of color space, but it doesn't help you with these extra bright highlights or dark shadows. Using HDRShop is quite convinient so far and I couldn't figure out any disadvantages. Well, did anybody have any negative experiences with .hdr's?

monovich
10-07-2004, 04:33 PM
thanks for the tips. Will check out Cinepaint. Never really read much about it.

been working with .hdr a bit, and just now getting started creating my own light probes, which is sort of where this all stems from; I'm sponging up all things I can read about high bit-depth.

HDR Shop looks great in the 2.0 form, much more user friendly than 1. Too bad it's not available to educational or personal uses yet. :(