View Full Version : Games in Development

turbo
10-06-2004, 03:06 PM
So what games are people working on?
Any indie's?

jasonwestmas
10-06-2004, 03:58 PM
Hi Turbo,

I'm working with a programmer on a Fantasy RPG using the Quake II engine with Md2 and .x file formats. We just started making the script and concepts so no 3D going on yet. We are using Lightwave 7.5d and ZBrush2 for all the modeling, Texturing and Animation and we are looking for a lot of help later on. No pay however. This is a long term investment that we will share with any artists/ programmers who contribute. Let me know if you're interested.

Jason

turbo
10-06-2004, 04:06 PM
My time is spoken for with KWIC and KrabbitWorld for years to come, I'm afraid.
Its an MMO, and resources are limited. Its cross platform and the modeling and animation are all done using Lightwave on a mac. Our concept and art are completely original.

Its pretty challenging to work with volunteers, especially getting a good match with knowledge, skill and passion. So we are probably going to avoid too much more of that. Rather work towards a small saleable, upgradeable product and bring in staff with the revenue.

Kool to get this section going. :D

A.Russell
10-14-2004, 07:44 AM
I'm working on a simple pachinko game. At least, it was supposed to be simple, it has taken me five months so far. I'm getting near completion now. I hope to get it out by the end of this month.

Some screenies:

http://www.3dgamesforkids.com/pictures/pachi_dancer1.jpg

http://www.3dgamesforkids.com/pictures/PachiBonusGame.jpg

http://www.3dgamesforkids.com/pictures/pachi_level_2.jpg

I've done almost everything on this myself (as Turbo says, working a team of volunteers is a good way to get nothing done, so I pay for any resources I need). It's built on the Acknex A6 engine. Artwork was made in Lightwave and exported using Greenbriar Studio's tools.

I've found some 2d pachinko simulations, but this might just be the world's fist 3d sim.

turbo
10-14-2004, 11:10 AM
Interesting.. tho I have to plead ignorance.. not knowing what a pachinko is.... :p
Is this single player? And what platoform/s?
Looks quite psychedelic, too. :D

Lamont
10-14-2004, 11:28 AM
Pachinko means: Bright lights and a lot of chain smoking with a ton of silver balls in Japanese :)

Nah, it's more like slots here in America... I never went inside a real Pachinko parlor because of the smoking. But I did go into a few small ones in bowling alleys because my father-in-law made me.

Here is an MMORPG I am working on in spare time. Almost all the people on the team work for a game developer. We have been around for a loooong time. Although I haven't done much lately, besides a tile-able texture pack of about 100 I did a few weeks ago. But I am very scarce because of work.

Everything is from scratch, engine, a sweet terrain tool/level editor. But I am the only artist and art is always the lagging part. :)

http://www.brickhousetrading.com/arcanity/news.php

turbo
10-14-2004, 11:38 AM
ah.. ty for the definition, Lamont.

I checked the Arcanity site and can see a lot of time, thought and work has gone into your game. Good luck with it as well. :)

What's your character polycount?

Lamont
10-14-2004, 12:13 PM
Yeah, Jason and Rich are die-hard MMORPG guys, I just tag along because they know what they are doing and are great friends :D

But I am moving to another company soon, and it would remove the need for me to do contract work, thus give me more personal time at home.

evilemil
10-14-2004, 12:27 PM
hi,
I am also working on a game, but I can not tell the name.
But it is done by Crytek (Far Cry) for EA.

It will be pretty amazing, like Far Cry.

Unfortunately, there is nobody out there, who is interested to program the Object exporter for LW. Schade.

Michael

A.Russell
10-14-2004, 12:34 PM
I know someone who might be interested in coding that for you. I'll get back.

Must be a pretty cool game to get to work with the Cry engine.

A.Russell
10-14-2004, 12:51 PM
Also, this is a real pachinko machine:

http://www.3dgamesforkids.com/pictures/Pachinko_Lupinethe3rd.jpg

In the centre is a video display that has a kind of animated slot game. The balls shoot out the top and clatter down to either fall in a winning hole or go down the gutter. Getting balls in the centre tulip start a slot game.

I think it is more exciting than a regular slot machine, because it's also a bit like pinball. You don't get a lot of control over the balls, but more than with a one arm bandit. The slot games are more exciting. You get a lot of "reaches" where you almost get the last number. It's very dramatic, and when you hit a big jackpot the slots keep coming up winning numbers every time and thousands of ball bearing spew from the machine which you catch in buckets. Last time I won, the machine jackpotted for nearly half an hour. I filled four buckets with ball bearings, which I then cashed at the shady little hole in the wall around the back for $250.

Pachinko generates more revenue than the Japanese car manufacturing industry and also supports the Yakuza and the North Korean nuklear missile programme, I am told.

Lamont
10-15-2004, 09:50 AM
Dude, I was at a hotel, and I played pachinko. Then I won the jackpot!! Then my wife was like "It's just for play, you do not get anything from this one..". I was pissed... :mad:

The Yakuza? Yeah, would not surprise me. :D. But the video's that play to add to the drama are funny. I have a few Pachinko games on the PS2 and, it's hillarious.

And generating more revenue than the car industry would not surprise me.

Fozz
10-15-2004, 05:17 PM
I've recently finished work on Richard Burns Rally.
Now I'm working on....something else.

shaol
10-16-2004, 02:03 PM
I would be interested in modeling,textureing. When your ready E-mail me and will talk.
[email protected]

tiler
10-19-2004, 02:19 PM
nice to see a topic on game stuff, im not into moding or c++ im not that intelligent
this is just hobby stuff ,ive been trying this for a while, its very buggy, ive shelved it over and over again but i always seem to go back to it, some people here may have seen some early test stuff of this…and this is still early test stuff :)
just a bit more on collisions

playable little qerky thing

http://www.btinternet.com/~coloured.pixels/kid_1.04.zip

Lamont
10-19-2004, 06:12 PM
Can you tell us how you get content into the engine? Any details about the project would be cool, unless you have a website for it.

Dodgy
10-19-2004, 06:20 PM
I built a lot of the objects for worms3d in LW, including graves and some weapons. We export from maya, so I port using deep exploration and animate in maya.

tiler
10-20-2004, 08:12 AM
the project was an idea by my kids, but since its taken me ages to figure out the collisions they have lost interest...all i keep hearing is "dad when can we play are game"

it was originaly called "Kid X and the Fiction Machine", because kids come up with all sorts of different ideas like manga robots/strange dragons and weird flying objects and a kid who uses lots of different weapons, i had to think of a way to put it all together
so its basicly about a weird scientist who invents a fiction machine that he feeds peoples nightmares or pictures of Fictitious monsters and the like
The Fiction Machine turns then into reality so the bad guys could be anything, animal vegitable or mineral, he then sends them off to take over Game City, kid x has to stop him using loads of different weapons and other stuff like x-o frames and flying machines, i screwed up on the model here originaly he was one mesh but since he has to use different weapons i will have to split him into upper/lower body so he can run/jump and still have different anims for the torso, ie: gun in/out/fire and so on.. (lesson learnt there)
but unless i pull my fingure out and figure it out..they are guna have to wait a
long time..i did team up with a few coders but they all seem to give up.
its actualy done using Blitz3d which is a cross between basic and C, i thought it would be easy ..but im finding collisions a problem.

getting the media into the engine is easy theres a free LWs to blitz3d converter
i should have stuck to animation less headaches :confused:
i do have a graphics dump(literally) where i post updates on this
www.colouredpixels.com

the kid is going thru a few changes at the moment i didnt like the hat it looked like weird blue hair
poly count on kid 1800 tris blitz can shift quite a few thousand at a time depending on how you split the level stuff up, so only the objects the camera can see will be processed and drawn..i guess i will keep at it.. its pretty addictive

the first animation test on the model i did a while ago, the codes a little weak on the anim test the jump/gravity needed work but you get the idea

FenrirWolf
11-03-2004, 05:00 AM
Hi Turbo, nice to see you on here. Another Torque user. :)

I also am working on a few indie games, with currently just myself on the team and one (2D media) artist helping me on occasion. I use Lightwave extensively for my game work, from actual ingame modeling to creating promo artwork to use on my website.

I'm pretty happy with LW's UV mapping tools, what I see in modeler almost always reflects what is visible inside the game.

Currently, I'm doing just straight-up UV mapping with no normal or specular mapping. I'm waiting for Torque Shader Engine to become a little more mature. :)

Here's some screenies from two game projects that I'm working on.

Lamont
11-03-2004, 07:11 AM
You never answered my e-mails!!!

I'm like that kid on Better of Dead... that newspaper kid.

turbo
11-03-2004, 08:18 AM
Hi Turbo, nice to see you on here. Another Torque user. :)

I also am working on a few indie games, with currently just myself on the team and one (2D media) artist helping me on occasion. I use Lightwave extensively for my game work, from actual ingame modeling to creating promo artwork to use on my website.

I'm pretty happy with LW's UV mapping tools, what I see in modeler almost always reflects what is visible inside the game.

Currently, I'm doing just straight-up UV mapping with no normal or specular mapping. I'm waiting for Torque Shader Engine to become a little more mature. :)

Here's some screenies from two game projects that I'm working on.

Wow, cool! This thread has taken off nicely.. I've been working away and hadn't kept up to date. :o
Werd @ everything you've said, FenrirWolf. Its a pretty comfy toolset. LW, the DTS Exporter and the Torque Engine.
We don't use the Shader Engine as it's not cross platform but have incorporated a pretty nice lighting pac. I've been using different lighting set ups in LW, Surface Baker and in my exports sometimes using specularity and reflection and getting some good results. Yay torque community! :) :cool:

shandaman
11-06-2004, 07:59 AM
Hi there im in the proccess of making a game using lw models everything is lw accept the levels. We are using the blitz 3d engine which we purchased a liscense. The game is called pin point paint ball. Im also going to very soon come out with a small game making proccess pdf if anyone is interested.

Emmanuel
11-06-2004, 11:10 AM
Hi,

nice to see Blitz3D users here :)
For art college, I chose my own project for this semester, its gonna be a little WipEout-like futuristic racing game featuring a character I created years ago and finally will use for something useful :)
The coding is done with Blitz3D, the art all in LW 7.5d.
Its probably gonna be in Alpha by mid of february 2005 and hopefully finished until march.
Nothing big, though, I need to keep it simple.

tiler
11-06-2004, 03:32 PM
thought i was the only one using blitz3d....nice to see other blitzers

shandaman
11-06-2004, 04:09 PM
yup hey guys if your interested i might be able to find a place for you on my team. we currently only have 1 programmer and he is occupied with other work soemtimes so you could always fill in. You might even be able to help him learn the engine better. ?

tiler
11-06-2004, 05:19 PM
as far as coding goes im still learning, collisions are proving to be a pain in the ***,
im more an animator than coder, do you post on the blitz forums im sure you could get some help there if you have a small demo to show

this is how far ive got
http://www.btinternet.com/~coloured.pixels/kid_1.04.zip

shandaman
11-06-2004, 05:24 PM
well im not the programmer lol im sure there are lots of talented artists on there but i was just offering to you lw users.

veljko
11-07-2004, 11:39 AM
Hi tiler,
ive downloaded the exe you posted and i tought it was quite well made- the
low poly kid and the anims-
but i know from my own expirience that this is a LOOOOONG way from making
a product-
Anyways, im keeping my fingers crossed for you and just wanted to say that its looking first class so far!

:)

tiler
11-07-2004, 01:14 PM
thanks veljko
yeh i know im way off even getting a demo done, unless i team up with a coder,
im realy just into animation and not very good at coding..but its fun learning
:)

Whit
11-08-2004, 07:50 PM
I downloaded the Torque demo and tried it on my Mac. It wouldn't run, citing an OpenAL problem. I downloaded and installed OpenAL. Then the demo ran, but not for long. The demo crashed several times. I gave up and tried the Window Torque Demo. It ran better, but still crashed.

I assume that if people are developing games with Torque they must not have had crash problems, or they figured out how to avoid crashes. I'm very hesitant to spend time learning an engine that crashes with the demo.

Have those of you using Torque had crash problems and, if so, what have you done about this?

--Whit

turbo
11-09-2004, 12:11 AM
You don't need OpenAL to run the demo. We've run it on several systems without.
We've tried it on at least 4 macs here and a couple out of house, all without OpenAL.
We've never had any crash problems whatsoever.

Our systems range from laptops with 16 meg ATI video cards, to 32 megs, to my DP G5 with its little stock ATI 9600 video card and my DP G4 500 with 64 meg ATI.
All with OSX. No problems..

I've been using the Torque Editor and we've been running our own Torque client for a couple of years now. No problems.. just a lot of development fun.

I'd maybe ask what your system is and configuration/specs.
Last time you Disk Warriored, etc.. or done the permissions and cache cleanup thingy.

As for the demo on the website, we last downloaded and ran it in June before deciding to upgrade to the new version.

Whit
11-09-2004, 07:36 AM
Turbo--

Thanks for the additional information.

You don't need OpenAL to run the demo. We've run it on several systems without.
We've tried it on at least 4 macs here and a couple out of house, all without OpenAL.
I'm puzzled then. When I started up the demo with OS X, I got an error related to OpenAL before I could navigate to any parts of the demo. I found OpenAL on the web and installed it and then got further into the demo.

Our systems range from laptops with 16 meg ATI video cards, to 32 megs, to my DP G5 with its little stock ATI 9600 video card and my DP G4 500 with 64 meg ATI.
All with OSX. No problems..

I've been using the Torque Editor and we've been running our own Torque client for a couple of years now. No problems.. just a lot of development fun.
That's what I wanted to hear. The price/features ratio looks great, I just don't want to spend time with it if I am going to have endless grief.

I'd maybe ask what your system is and configuration/specs.
Last time you Disk Warriored, etc.. or done the permissions and cache cleanup thingy.

I tried it on a G4 dual 1GHz , 1.5 GB RAM, with GeForce4 Ti 4600, OS 10.3.6.
The Windows machine I used is a Pentium 4, with 3.2 GHz, 2 GB RAM, NVidia GeForce FX 5200, XP Home Edition.

I haven't used any disk utility for awhile, mostly because everything has been running very smoothly. I read in the forums about people crashing several times a day, I just haven't had those problems. If I have a program quit "unexpectedly" once a week it is unusual. I did run the permissions thing a few days ago after installing some new software.

I tried the demo on a G4 dual 1GHz , 1.5 GB RAM, with GeForce4 Ti 4600, OS 10.3.6.

The Windows machine I used is a Pentium 4, with 3.2 GHz, 2 GB RAM, NVidia GeForce FX 5200, XP Home Edition.

I notice that the machines you describe use ATI cards while both of the machines I used had NVidia cards.

I don't know what to think.

--Whit

turbo
11-09-2004, 11:03 AM
Oops.. I forgot.. I swapped out the 64 meg ATI card in my DP G4 500 back when I was having all the LW modeler / ATI grief last year. In its place is a 32 Meg NVidia card I bought on Ebay.

Whit
11-09-2004, 03:11 PM
Join garage games forums and post the questions there. They respond pretty fast.

Good idea, I'll try that.

*Chuck, can you split this thread please? Maybe to another one under game engine or torque problems.. so as not to wander from the topic of games in development. Thx.

Good point, sorry.

--Whit