PDA

View Full Version : could someone PLEASE help me decide?

old fashioned d
10-06-2004, 09:16 AM
I want to learn character animation and have LW8. I want peoples honest opinions on how well LW8s character animation tools compare with Motionbuilder and Messiahs.

I dont mind getting another app if thats a better path but if LW8 is TRUELY much better than LW7 and can compare with the other apps i'll just stick to it.

Please turn this thread into a long,deep discussion on LW8's character animation capabilities and why I should/shouldnt use it instead of MB or M:A

Dave

old fashioned d
10-07-2004, 07:44 AM
oh well...

not much luck here with any advice. I have asked around in other forums and have come to the conclusion that Messiah Studio is not yet ready for primetime,too many bugs so I think i'm going for XSI Foundation.

I'll keep LW8 though...

Usually this forum is pretty helpful but as of late I get no respect :rolleyes:

P Jespersen
10-07-2004, 09:20 AM
Have you checked out any of the tutorials available about character animation in LW?

bobakabob
10-08-2004, 04:58 AM
Lightwave is a superb animation tool. You should follow P Jespersen's advice, dive in there and spend time checking out the features so you can form an opinion. This can take hours of hard work, trial and error - as with any app.

You will hopefully find it user friendly and perfect for what you want to do. I wouldn't buy another app until you have a sense of LW's capabilities.

Bob

SplineGod
10-10-2004, 03:21 AM
How familiar are you with character animation or character animation in 3D?
Many times people get rigging and animating kind of mixed up together. While theyre related theyre not really the same thing.
I also have a very extensive course on character modeling, rigging. texturing and animating available on my site that comes also with unlimited online support. :)

pooby
10-10-2004, 04:39 AM
It's tempting to go over to XSI or Messiah just because you've heard they're great for animation.. But it's always worth breaking it down into logic..
Why are they better? What do they have that you want that you can't do in Lightwave?
Otherwise, you're just doing it because it 'sounds' better.
Personally, I think lightwave could be improved. You have to work out your own solutions a lot of the time rather than having ready-made ones,

But I don't think that Messiah or XSI would make my work look better. I used to use Messiah for animation, when I worked at Passion Pictures, But I dropped it, finding Lightwaves own system as capable for most work..

I nearly switched to XSI earlier on this year after being terribly disappointed with L8.. After calming down for a few months, I realise that my reasons were mainly reactionary. It being tempting to think a software switch will improve everything, but it's not necessarily the case.