PDA

View Full Version : Video sync trouble - A4000

mjvipond
10-05-2004, 08:43 PM
I broke out my old A4000/VT computer. It's been in storage for 6 years. I bought it brand new in 1992 for what seems like an incredible amount of money today. I could never part with it, but I no longer have a Commodore monitor and the two others that I have won't sync to whatever the video card's refresh rate/ resolution is. I can tell that it's making video, but that's about all.

Is there some boot-up key combo that will allow me to boot into the system to set the resolution and refresh rates to something my monitors can handle?

thx

Jockomo
10-05-2004, 09:37 PM
You might try the outputs of the VT, specifically the preview if I remember correctly. Just plug it into a regular video input (RCA input on a TV or VCR). Depending on what your settings were I think you might be able to see the screen.

Yes I remember spending somewhere around $7,000 on my A4000 and VT setup... all I really needed was lightwave. That was one hell of a dongle.

I sure wish I had a way to get the stuff off of it (the system doesn't boot anymore and just sits in the closet. I have some cool old animations on there, like one I did for the Desktop Images tapes.
http://www.3danimationonline.com/ntk.gif

robewil
10-05-2004, 11:06 PM
You might try the outputs of the VT, specifically the preview if I remember correctly. Just plug it into a regular video input (RCA input on a TV or VCR). Depending on what your settings were I think you might be able to see the screen.I don't believe that will work because you have to run the Toaster software first to put it into genlock mode to see the workbench on the preview monitor. This is a rather tough dilemna for A4000 users. At least te A2000 and 3000 had mono composite out but Commodore left out that particular feature in the 4000.

One possible solution is to try to borrow someone's Amiga monitor and put the Toaster program in the Startup drawer so when it boots, it runs the Toaster and enables you to use the preview out as your primary display. If you do this, don't forget to set preferences to that setting. Once you have that set, you can return the monitor.