PDA

View Full Version : Fancy DVD Menus with Encore.....?

kleima
10-05-2004, 12:02 PM
I am used to doing fancy DVD Menus with Pinnacle Impression. But, it couldn't do copy protection and subtitles, etc. So, I "upgraded" to Adobe Encore....
Now, all I read about is 3 one color button highlights which is not my idea of a creative menu. Now, I know that some will say, "but that's the limitation of the DVD specification." But, here are samples of the ways my menu button highlight, and they have all worked just fine on everyone's DVD players.
I want to do this same thing in Encore!! Can anyone give me some pointers??
(The menus and buttons are all designed in Photoshop for both Impression and Encore - it is just a matter of layer naming conventions.)

Ivan
10-05-2004, 12:50 PM
What you are doing in Impression should work very much the same in Encore. Try a tutorial and see. My guess is that you would have the color image up and a mask without the star or highlight for the default image and the mask with the highlight for the selected image using the same color image for all. Once you understand how it works, you can do some really cool stuff.

I hope this helps.

Ivan

Pryzm
10-05-2004, 02:17 PM
I didn't seem anything in your menus that couldn't be done in Encore (at least ways that I could think of). Most of the menu processing is done in Photoshop (with naming conventions) and imported into Encore.

Let me know if you want to teak any of your Menus in Encore and I'll see if I can help you out.

bruce

kleima
10-05-2004, 09:07 PM
Well, what I was doing, was having different images that came on with each button selection. Then, I also had feather text highlighting the button text.
But, with Encore, I only read about the (+) to specify a button, and the (=1) to indicate the first highlight color. What do I name the image layer for a buttons selected state, if I am not using a single highlight color? (In Impression, it is (#) for non-selected state and (@) for selected state.)
I am using Photoshop for the menu design for both programs.

Pryzm
10-06-2004, 07:55 AM
You are correct. In Encore, (+) to specify a button, and the (=1) to indicate the first highlight color are the correct naming conventions for these states. If I understand correctly what you want to do, (=2) and (=3) will get you what you need. Each one is its own subpicture and can be any color or shape separate of each other.

If you want a greater explanation of this go to Encore help and click contents. Then click:

Working with Menus: Beyond the Basics-->Working with Adobe Photoshop-->Understanding layer name prefixes for Photoshop menus

Read through that page, then click on "Requirements when designing your own subpictures". This is also a good (albeit, possibly confusing) resource to explain the reasons behind the spec.

bruce

kleima
10-06-2004, 12:00 PM
Well, I read that stuff and this is what I am finding confusing. It is saying that you can only use ONE solid color with NO antialiasing or gradients for each of these three button highlight colors.
What I have been doing, is using full color images that appear, instead of a one color button highlight.
This is why I can't figure out what naming convention accomodates this in Encore. Now, maybe I should just try using my full color images for the (=1) one color highlight, and see if is accepts it. But, from my reading I don't think this will work, because it gives a palette of the only colors you can use. Maybe it will still accept different images for the selected state than for the unselected state whether or not a "highlight color" is used...??

Pryzm
10-06-2004, 12:25 PM
I think I now know what you would like to do, and the verdict doesn't look good. I do remember being able to use full color images in impression. Don't know why, it just worked. Then moving to Encore the capability was lost. I've tried a few tests since you posted (brought back memories), and unless there is a work-around it doesn't look promising.

I'll keep looking...

bruce

kleima
10-06-2004, 12:42 PM
That's what I was afraid of! Seems a little ridiculous if that is indeed the case.