PDA

View Full Version : Easy Quickie plea from PC user

10-05-2004, 08:20 AM
I'm very PC based, and accustommed to sending PAL or NTSC resolution AVI files (usually using DIVX) by email or CD to our clients. But we're working with an exclusively MAC (VIP) client who claim to be unable to play anything that is not a .mov file.
Question, which of the (limited & unexplained) .mov compressor choice & options in LW8 will give me a reasonable file size & quality whilst still being viewable by a technophobe with a shiny new MAC?
Having no access to a MAC of any description, I'm unable to trial-and-error on this.

The_Eye
10-05-2004, 08:44 AM
divx is available for Mac.

I'm on a Mac and I have techno-illiterate clients that are PC and Mac. I usually make them install divx.

If that's too much, then got to Apple's site and get Quicktime for PC (probably best to spend the $20+ for the pro version). I'd still render sequences, but then use your editing program or just Quicktime player to import the sequence and output as probably Sorrenson.

I've found Sorrenson quicktimes are about twice the file size for the same quality as a divx avi, but for some reason half-sized clips look better in Sorrenson. Divx looks best for broadcast size.

marble_sheep
10-05-2004, 09:55 AM
I agree with The_Eye... tell your client to get DIVX for Mac, maybe even send them the link for it. They can then play DIVX movies right from Quicktime Player or their web browser, no hassle.

However, if they are unable to figure it out, then the responsibility falls on you to provide your client with what they need... in this case, buy the Pro version of QT, then just import your sequences into the Player and export them as a Sorenson or Sorenson3.

toby
10-05-2004, 12:53 PM
You must have Premiere or After Effects, right? They should both be able to output Quicktimes, use mpeg 4 or Sorenson 3 - if you use keyframes correctly the files are about the same size as divx -

Ryhnio
10-05-2004, 03:12 PM
just use a mpeg 4 .mov file-

eblu
10-06-2004, 02:47 PM
pixlet.... o right... your on a pc. scratch that then, do Mp4