PDA

View Full Version : how 2 give cloned item different surface

JanDeVries
10-05-2004, 12:57 AM
perhaps a dumb question but here goes,
i need a bunch of cd's in a scene. each cd should have a different label. i can can't seem to figure out how to change the surface of individual cloned items.
so i duplicate the objects on my hd and then load them into layout... is there an other, more economical, way of doing this...?

Hervé
10-05-2004, 02:56 AM
I dont think it is possible... but I may be wrong...

Darth Mole
10-05-2004, 04:43 AM
You can do this - to a limited extent - with Worley's G2, although it's sort of random.

It would be great if you could have multiple instances of the same surface (ie, surfacename (1), surfacename (2), etc, based on the increment value of the clone).

JanDeVries
10-05-2004, 05:21 AM
alas, random won't do. cd labeling seems to a precise $cience.. ;-)

Jimzip
10-05-2004, 06:16 AM
Yeah, it's a common problem, but with something like a CD, could you not simply make additional surfaces copied from the first one, just with different images? You don't have to make any new UV's, or models, just copy the one model and it's surface as many times as needed? I know it's not the most efficient way to solve the problem, but it's the most obvious and easy solution!

Jimzip :D

JanDeVries
10-05-2004, 06:40 AM
i'll see how that works.
it was basically the LW mass production approach that i couldn't understand...
all T-Fords the same color...

The_Eye
10-05-2004, 08:53 AM
Only way this can work is to have different copies of the object on your drive (cd001, cd002, etc.). You don't have to change the name of the surface for each, but it's probably a good idea to keep things straight. What I'd do is...

1) Create CD object in Modeler and save as cd001
2) Change label surface name and save as cd002
3) repeat until you have as many cds that you need

Now assuming you have your scene setup already (that's the way it sounds) then one by one you replace>object and bring in all your cds.

It's not really that difficult, but it's more of something you get done in Modeler BEFORE you go to Layout. Of course, you still have to make all those different cd labels in PS...

JanDeVries
10-05-2004, 09:14 AM
Yep, thanks. Thats the approach ive addopted. more or less. ive build one cd in modeler. i copy & rename em on my hd. easy just a few keystrokes. (so i keep de surface 'label'.) replace objects in layout in the existing scene. go to surface. objects show up under their respective names > change image for the label. tweak the cd positions, etc.
i was mearly wondering if it was me or lw that could not change...
i can live with the solution.
thanks again all!