PDA

View Full Version : Kaena The Prophecy: dvd

cresshead
10-04-2004, 02:34 AM
just a heads up about the release of Kaena The Prophecy on dvd, it's a full length 3d cgi character driven film made with 3ds max 3 and some commercial plugins or apps such as character studio, shag hair and real flow.

i must say that i'm impressed with the render quality and the intense world they created for the characters in the film..it may have took a while to come out but it's now the second full cgi film to be released created with off the shelf software and not propriorty in house tools such as iceage, final fantasy, shrek, toy story etc.which means it's possible with the tools installed on your pc.

worth a look on rental or get it on dvd for your collection..it's delivery is more akin to anime rather than disney which is a good thing in my book and the characters and fx are well modeled.

http://www.vocanson.com/A5_reportages.htm

http://www.vocanson.com/tm/A/A5_reportages/2003/creation/kaena/01_kaena.htm

links

http://cgw.pennnet.com/Articles/Article_Display.cfm?Section=Articles&Subsect
ion=Display&ARTICLE_ID=174585

cresshead
10-04-2004, 02:44 AM
main site with trailers...choose the english version if you speak english..

http://www.kaena.lycos.fr

jevinstudios
10-04-2004, 08:50 AM
I bought it and have watched it twice already. Very nice piece of creative CGI! Some of the water ripples get a bit distracting at times, but overall, quite impressive. A must have for any 3D film library!

WilliamVaughan
10-04-2004, 08:53 AM
I thought it was interesting....but the character design of everyone but the main character was lacking IMHO. I really liked th environment design tho!

jevinstudios
10-04-2004, 09:06 AM
I thought it was interesting....but the character design of everyone but the main character was lacking IMHO. I really liked th environment design tho!

I'd have to disagree. I thought the old man (Ilpo?) had a lot of character. There were spots where the bone weights could've been set much better to create more realistic deformations, tho....

I also loved the worms. I thought their faces were quite cool.

Kaena had a body like Pamela Anderson, which was a bit hormonic -- I would've toned it down a little to make her less of a sex pot and more of a primitive teenager, however....

Was curious if Brazil R/S was used for rendering. Anyone know? Max's native renderer is as crappy as Maya's from what I understand. Would have to revisit my opinion on that, tho, if the native renderer was used for this movie. I thought it had a beautiful, smooth feel to the final cut...

cresshead
10-04-2004, 10:12 AM
hold on to your hats!...was max 3.1 scanline renderer!...yup...and i have max 3.1 and have yet to get such beutiful renders and lighting from it to this quality.
they really pushed 3dsmax and it's renderer...and they stuck with max 3.1 thougout the project even though max 4 came out halfway thru to keep continuity and also make sure plugins worked as they should.

re the character design..there's a mix in there..the main character, old man, worms and bad guy's were all pretty cool esp the "marurder" that chased kaena.
the other characters such as the priest and the villagers werenot in the same league.

the environments were ace and most of the special fx were very well done..i think that some additional motion blur would have helped on some scenes but that may have been down to the way they rendered it esp with real flow which i think makes a new mesh per frame so you'll need to do "scene blur" to get t to have motion blur.

i though the clouds nr the end were fantastic...a max plugin called afterburn was used on that.

interesting to note that this is only the second feature film out there to be made with "off the shelf" 3d software..the other being lightwave's "jimmy neutron"

later

steve g

koots
10-04-2004, 08:03 PM
Where can you buy it??? is it an amazon.com thing?

jevinstudios
10-05-2004, 06:34 AM
Max native scanline renderer for v.3.1????????????????????????

Hooooooooolllllllllllllyyyyyyyyyy Shhhhhhhhhheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeetttttttttttttttt!

Quite impressive! Maybe they got the nice feel in post then, with some beautiful glow and bloom filters? What do ya think about Max's renderer nowadayz, Cress?

retinajoy
10-05-2004, 08:39 AM
A lot of the look was done in post-production. Looks good though and I think I will get it myself when the region 2 DVD is released. Out now in the USA.

http://www.sonypictures.com/homevideo/kaenatheprophecy/

cresshead
10-05-2004, 12:39 PM
i have the usa dvd...[i live in the uk btw] but one of my student's has got [in the post today] the region 2 version fr om www.ebay.co.uk

re the MAX scanline renderer..
it's fast, except when you raytrace then it crawls..though you can work around it with some combustion [compositing work] i've had scenes of over 2 million polys on my dell 700mhz and they rendered okay..lighting is a tough one on max and takes considerable skill to get good images out..they are possible though and looks as though max3.1 and flame plus shake were used on KAENA which helped it's "look" develop for the film.

still max 3.1 scanline can do good stuff in the right hands..also see some of the roughnecks shows as they were made and rendered in max 3.1..the ones on the ice asteriod "zepher show"

i have final render as well but never got to grips with is as i found max 7.0 much simpler to use for photoreal scnes.

i'm still on max 4.26 i didn't upgrade to max 5 or 6 instead i bought lightwave 7.0...then 8.0...then lightscape 3.2 and now added xsi 4.0!!!!

i do teach with max 5.0 at college and have a mate who has max 6.0 who will be getting max 7.0 [on subscription]

max 5.0 is pretty nr max 4.0 except it has "lightracer" for GI and also radiosity with some of the "engine" from lightscape but none of the ease of use and the memory needed for radiosity is huge. 1.5 to 2 gigs makes it "useable"...but you get no visual feed back...

of course max 6.0 added mental ray 3.0 and max 7.0 adds mental ray 3.3 so there's quite a choise of renderers available for max

i also use "free vray" which gives me the same if not better quality as max 6.0 lightracer or final render with "no cost" and it's simpler to set up as well.

max has it's good points but modeling isn't one of them!...i really have a hard time in max..i just yearn for lightwave while i model in max most of the time!!!

except for 3d text...!

jevinstudios
10-06-2004, 09:43 AM
Sounds like Max 7 is now on par with all the apps on rendering w/ mental ray 3.3 (this is the only renderer I use in Maya anymore -- I'll only incorporate Maya's native renderer for DOF shots if I need the shot in it's entirety. Mr for Maya doesn't support the necessary camera node connections for DOF, something I'm hoping to see fixed in the next release. But, since I prefer to render DOF scene objects separately and composite in AE with varied levels of blur added, it's no biggee....). LightWave's renderer can still pump out complex scenes 200% faster than mr, however. But mr is definitely the best integrated alternative out there for XSI, Maya and (now that I know) Max. Cool.....

Still impressed with what Max 3.1 renderer accomplished. Just goes to show that it's really the person behind the monitor and their skill that can accomplish miracles -- a professional's knowledge and creativity can take a native renderer and make it look like it came from RenderMan (without the huge per-processor cost!!!).

Only one shot looked terrible in the movie, however: One of the final shots of the film where you see the planet below and a furry critter scurrying around on the grassy earth near the ocean. This shot jumped out and slapped me in the face, 'cause it was dark, harsh, and lacked the smooth, filtered feel that the rest of the flick had. Looked like it missed out on the post-wagon, or was put in as an afterthought without comparing it for continuity. But, I can forgive this since the rest of the show was so nice!

cresshead
10-07-2004, 11:50 AM
yeah the "critter shot" was definatly out of place from the rest of the film...may have been edited in to help tell the story..but they had poor fur that looked rather lumpy and the render looked harsh on the eye too...as you say though overall the film has a very nice look to it and i'm haapy to see that with talent you can get a shrek/pixar render look out of max 3.1 if you know your tools and also do some post work on the render you kick out of 3ds max...maybe the critter shot missed the flame/shake treatment..

neat film..happy to give it space on my dvd collection.

steve g

Nemoid
10-08-2004, 05:20 AM
i read an article about Kaena into an italian magazine. I have to say the renders were incredible. IMO chars (kaena apart) were a bit too detailed than necessary. However the movie i think should be good.
i'll surely buy it ASAP.
The article also said that the author wanted to do a kaena 2 movie soon. :D

cresshead
10-08-2004, 05:46 AM
i'd would love to see a kaena 2 movie to see how they all got on n their new found world and also see what happened to the bad guys and the flying sharkens as well.

...could have a prequle as well....what happend to the ship in the first place!

cool movie!

Nemoid
10-08-2004, 11:13 AM
i hope this Kaena 2 movie will see the light! i don't know if Kaena the movie was a success in France and other countries. However, i live in Italy and here it never reached theatres. what a sin.

all this being said, i'm looking forward to buy the dvd and also for an evenual sequel ;)