PDA

View Full Version : bothersome issue in layout

KooPA.DE
04-05-2003, 10:57 PM
i was wondering if anyone can shed some light on why sub patched objects won't render in viewports during any kind of movement in layout. any object that has been sp'd does it, no matter how many polys are in it. They just turn to a box when they move. its the same for changing views. this is really annoying, and almost impossible to work with.
when i open those same exact objects on my mac, everything is fine. the mac even has less ram than the pc. unfortunately that box has issues that i cant afford to fix, so i have to use my pc instead. Its an AMD 1.33 w/ 640 mb ddr. im currently running an Asylum GeForce4 TI4600 4xagp 128mb vid card w/ directx 8.1 on winXP. all drivers are current as of this posting.
I get the same problem with 7.5 and 7.5b. yeah, i uninstalled it, ripped it outta the reg, and reinstalled. I tried 7.5b again, still no go. I even tried installing from my friend's copy, and no go. it works fine on his pooter though. im prolly just deficient in ram or maybe enough brains to find some option tucked away somewhere, but if anyone has come across this before, lemme know how to fix it.

meatycheesyboy
04-06-2003, 12:02 PM
It sounds like the bounding box threshold is too low, Open up the display properties and increase it to a number that is higher than the number of polys in the scene and see if it changes anything.

hrgiger
04-06-2003, 02:00 PM
It is the bounding box threshold. Change it to something high like 1000000. It may be annoying but it's a brilliant feature to allow you to work with unlimited polygon scenes with ease. It allows you to rotate around the scene in real time, even if you have a few million polygons. It allows instant updating of characters movements. Unless you're doing real precision work where you have to see one object coming in contact with another one, you should use it.

KooPA.DE
04-06-2003, 03:59 PM
That did it. thanks a bunch. there are so many options in this program i feel like i'll never know what they all do! i dont think i'd want it any other way though.