PDA

View Full Version : can't load avi in image editor

TheWeedKiller
10-03-2004, 01:57 PM
I'm trying to load an avi into the image editor, but after I try to load it it doesn't do anything and doesn't show up in the list. Does the avi have to be of a specific type?

Silkrooster
10-04-2004, 01:29 AM
I am assuming you see the file when your trying to load the avi. If not then select all files in the drop down box for file type.
The only other thing I can think of is to make sure you have a codec that can decode the avi file. So if the avi does not play in the windows media player it will not play in lightwave. Perhaps someone else can think of something. Good luck
Silk

TheWeedKiller
10-04-2004, 02:11 PM
Well I can see it just fine in windows media player. I created the movie with windows movie maker, has anyone had any problems with it?

Silkrooster
10-05-2004, 01:28 AM
I was looking over Movie maker 2. From what I can see only one in the list is for avi, and that is DV-AVI. Digital video codec maybe a special codec that uses directshow. All the rest in that list are wmv files. I could see no way of changing codecs in movie maker.
I just tried making a movie with the DV-AVI option and it loaded fine into layout. So codec should not be the problem. Check in movie maker and see how many filters are listed under tools>options>compatability>filters. I only have one listed and that is for divx. Perhaps you have one listed there that is not working properly. If you have several listed, try unchecking the boxes before each filter. Then try saving again.
One quick note. Perhaps you may not have noticed. If you select save to computer and check the top button for best quality. In the setting details below it tells you that it will save the movie in wmv file format. To my knowledge Lightwave can not load wmv file.
Silk

Schwing
10-05-2004, 02:18 PM
I had the same problem I believe. Export your .avi as an image sequence and bring that in in place of the .avi.

Tom

toby
10-05-2004, 03:39 PM
It could also be Lightwave just acting up. Every once in a while it will refuse to load a certain type of image, removing and reloading the input / output plug-ins usually fixes it.

taproot2
10-05-2004, 03:46 PM
Can i save my animation files to a format that I can load into Photoshop7. I've tried saving files as an image sequence, but when i go to open them in photoshop i get a "file type error". My animations are saving just fine, I been using simple AVI format. I'ts the image sequencing that has me pulling whats left of my hair out. Any tips out there?
Taproot2
www.provinestudios.com

Silkrooster
10-05-2004, 05:14 PM
I could not see any way of exporting an image sequence directly from Movie Maker 2. However by importing the avi into lightwave, you can then render out an image sequence. If photoshop is giving errors trying to load an image, try using a different format. I use JPG, PSD, TGA, TIF, the most, each having there own qualities. Some formats use compression schemes that not all software reconize. Even color depth can be a problem with certain programs.
Silk

Schwing
10-06-2004, 10:37 AM
I don't know about Movie Maker, I use Quicktime for movie to image sequence exporting.

Tom