PDA

View Full Version : Set your clocks FORWARD!

ted
04-05-2003, 09:40 PM
Don't forget to set your clocks forward tonight!
Especially if you're catching a flight tomorrow.

Rory_L
04-07-2003, 12:11 AM
Wow! Do Americans have Daylight Saving too? I thought it was just a British quirk.

R

Epita
04-07-2003, 02:06 AM
I know the entire EU does it, what about other countries like Japan tho?

Epita

jricks
04-07-2003, 05:34 PM
Yep, Rory_L, since Nixon I think it was.
During the 70's and the cold war it freaked out a Russian Basketball team that was here the Play the US team, they swore we were trying to make them forfeit the game by a clever ploy to make them late....

what time is it anyway, is it really time already for the coffee pot to be empty....ugh...ha.

ted, I gotta tell ya, your post saved me on this one...thanks!

Rory_L
04-07-2003, 07:34 PM
Epita, Japan`s 24hr saving: they just work round the clock regardless of whether it`s light or dark outside!

R

John Fornasar
04-07-2003, 09:13 PM
Daylight Savings Time began in the U.S. in 1925.

Idea first mentioned by Ben Franklin in the 1700's.

While we might blame Nixon for a lot of things, DST was not one of them.

jricks
04-07-2003, 09:39 PM
yuck, I knew I had a timehangover this time of year.

I thought Nixon either brought it back or made some change to it... must be thinking about something else...hmm. hehe.

My father-in-law flew on Air Force One as staff during Nixon's administration... weird to have any perspective like that on such an epic period.

Thanks for the correction.

John Fornasar
04-07-2003, 09:52 PM
Thanks for the correction.

No problem, I have absolutely no idea why that bit of useless info is still floating around in my head. It would be great if I could remember the important thngs.

My father-in-law flew on Air Force One as staff during Nixon's administration...

Now that's interesting! I would have freaked out in the '70s...

meet girl, get involved, after some time girl says "my father works with Nixon...

I'd be thinking the CIA and the Plumbers were going to get me!

Funny thing is, while liberals still revile him, he was the one that got us out of Viet Nam... just what the country wanted.