PDA

View Full Version : Wip LW Content Manager

Kuzey
10-02-2004, 07:10 PM
http://users.maconline.com.au/kuzey/lwkuz1.jpg

Hi guys,

Here's a wip of just one part of a larger app I'm making, all the features haven't been added but it's getting there....and then onto the second part.

ps. it's my first major app :)

Kuzey

JackDeL
10-03-2004, 08:00 AM
A content manager for Mac OS 10 is GREAT news! I'm looking forward to this! Thanks! :) Will this work with LW 7.5.x? :D

noiseboy
10-03-2004, 09:15 AM
oh go on tell us more, you know you want to. Is it a plugin? will it pull all your resources together?

Kuzey
10-03-2004, 08:22 PM
Thanks,

Yes...it will work with LW7.5 and higher, I just got to upgrade first ;)

There will also be a pc version.

Lets' see...it's a standalone app with two parts "a content manager" and some other unamed part that does other unamed things :p
Yes, it will pull all your resources together, for example with on click you'll be able backup your "Plugins","LScripts","Presets" folders along with your LW prefs.

Now you can backup your projects the easy way, just select a project folder(say "Dastardly") or file (say "Dastardly_final") and a final destination.
The following will be copied to the new location & it's folder structure will be kept intact :
Objects/Dastardly/
Scenes/Dastardly/
Images/Dastardly/

That's just a few things it will be able to do :)

Kuzey

Weetos
10-04-2004, 03:43 AM
Cool :)

Will it be be able to handle directory structures like this :

project_name/Objects/
project_name/Scenes/
and so on ?

Feel free to tell us more about the features you plan on implementing ;)

Best regards

Weetos

Kuzey
10-04-2004, 07:48 PM
Cool :)

Will it be be able to handle directory structures like this :

project_name/Objects/
project_name/Scenes/
and so on ?

Feel free to tell us more about the features you plan on implementing ;)

Best regards

Weetos

Thanks,

You mean having all three folders "Objects,Scenes & Images" in the one project folder...then yes it does. All you have to do is add the "Project_name" folder to the Content Directory and it'll work perfectly ;)

You can also hide any folder from view. So if you have a large Content Directory, you could hide all the completed projects...should make life easier.

If anybody has any suggestions please post them & I'll try to make it happen.

The second part of the project is....well...a Content Directory Creator :D

Create your Directories in either the basic way ("Objects,Scenes & Images" folders in each Project folder), or the Newtek way ( Project folder in each of the Objects,Scenes & Images folders). Also, you can create additional folders like "Wip","Final" etc. within the above structures.

The attached image shows an example of this ;)

Kuzey

Jimzip
10-05-2004, 06:27 AM
Coolness! Should be great to try out when it's done!

Jimzip :D

Weetos
10-05-2004, 10:57 AM
That sounds like a great replacement for the original content manager !!!! I just can't wait to try this out ; )

the content directory creator is a great idea :)

Keep up the good work

Regards

Weetos

Kuzey
10-05-2004, 10:10 PM
Thanks guys,

I'm about to start work on a "Open with" contextual menu, one which will allow you to open a bunch of selected files in any app you choose (as long as they can be opened in that app in the first place). You can add up to 5 image editors & 5 Text editors to the menu.

Also, you'll be able to edit lw prefs and resave them.

Kuzey

Weetos
10-06-2004, 10:53 AM
Wow sounds like you're cooking something good, with lots of features :D

just a question, though, why is it a stand alone app and not a plugin ? that's not a critic, I'm just curious because I'd love having a button for that tool in LW

One more thing, have you started to code the pc version?

thanks for the time you spend on developing this app

Best regards

Weetos

Kuzey
10-06-2004, 10:39 PM
Wow sounds like you're cooking something good, with lots of features :D

just a question, though, why is it a stand alone app and not a plugin ? that's not a critic, I'm just curious because I'd love having a button for that tool in LW

One more thing, have you started to code the pc version?

thanks for the time you spend on developing this app

Best regards

Weetos
Yes, there's pleanty more features to come :p

This is my first major project, so I'm learning as I go. Writing all this as a plugin is beyond my scope, but if newtek is interested in something like that...then they where to find me.

Most of the code is already universal, if I built both versions now the pc version would not have icons but it would still work. Once I get all the features working then I'll go back and add the pc specific code for such things as icons, menu short cuts etc.

Kuzey

JackDeL
02-07-2005, 05:54 PM
Hey Kuzey,
How is the Content manager coming? I visited your website, but your products & software links don't seem to work. Are you still working on it? ;)

Kuzey
02-08-2005, 06:22 AM
There's no finished software yet...so the link is left blank, I'll change it so it includes progress on the project ;)

Yes, I'm still working on it...when ever I can find the time.

I wasn't going to post this until the feature was complete, but I'm working on a search/find function ;)

Once the search function is done everything else should be easier!

Ps...these find/search images are wips and will most likey change!

I emailed Proton on the 13th of January to find out how I could get a lw8 demo, you know to get this app to work with both lw7.5 & lw8. Unfortunately I haven't heard from him yet.
I used my mac.dot account, so it probably went straight to his trash folder.

Anyway,

Kuzey

Kuzey
02-17-2005, 04:16 AM
I almost forgot about this one ;)

Here's a wip of the preference pane where you could add five of your favorite Image and text editors. Mmmmm.. I just realized I should make one for movie editors so people can add their post production tools to the menu!

You can use the "Open with" menu to open multiple files in an app of your choice, instead of the default program they were created in.

Kuzey

JackDeL
02-17-2005, 10:48 PM
Looks VERY useful Kuzey! I am eager to try this out! Keep us posted! :)

Kuzey
02-18-2005, 05:25 AM
Will do, hopefully I'll have something new to show in a week or two ;)

Kuzey

JackDeL
02-18-2005, 06:28 PM
If you need a beta tester just let me know! :)

cgbloke2004
02-18-2005, 06:49 PM
i wish someone would make one for the pc version of LW.
the one that ships with LW is rubbish quite frankly.

i still remember the old japanese one i used with 5.6 - that worked everytime.

good luck with this one - looks good!

riki
02-18-2005, 10:37 PM
Looks good, be sure to let us know when it's ready.

Kuzey
02-19-2005, 04:23 AM
i wish someone would make one for the pc version of LW.
the one that ships with LW is rubbish quite frankly.

i still remember the old japanese one i used with 5.6 - that worked everytime.

good luck with this one - looks good!

cgbloke2004, but this is for the pc as well...I'm just on a mac so the interface is a Mac one...for now ;) ;)

JackDeL - It's still early days for Beta testing but I'll take you up on that offer when I hit that fork in the road ;)

riki - will do, this is one half of the program..it's does more than just manage content directories.

more to come...Thanks guys!!

Kuzey

cgbloke2004
02-19-2005, 07:38 AM
woooo!!! :) thanks for that, i'll be looking out for it!

calico
02-19-2005, 08:16 AM
now that's really cool.

Kuzey
03-04-2005, 04:36 AM
Ok, here's a wip of the second part of the program "Content Directory Creator" for making...well Content Directories ;)

The advanced mode is default, you can change to basic mode from the preference pane.

Advanced mode creates a directory based on the normal Newtek method:

eg Project folder is created in each of the Objects,Scenes and Images folders.

The basic mode creates the Objects,Scenes and Images folders within the one Project folder..acting like a mini Content Driectory.

This also allows you can add additional folders, if you like to keep your directory..well organized. I'm thinking of adding another "Sub Category Name" below the "Category Name" but we'll see ;)

Kuzey

Kuzey
03-04-2005, 04:39 AM
You can add as many subfolders as you like into the Objects,Scenes and images folders :)

Kuzey

Kuzey
03-04-2005, 04:42 AM
Preview your Content Directory setup and click to create...how easy is that :)

Kuzey

Kuzey
03-04-2005, 04:47 AM
Here's the result of both advanced & basic methods :)

btw. you don't have to add any extra folders you don't want.

Ps. these are wips and things might change as it gets worked on ;)

Kuzey

dmg3d
03-04-2005, 10:04 AM
Kuzey-

Wow! This looks cool. Finally, a great (and easy) way to get organized.

Nice job so far. Looking foward to the final product.

-Dave

(DP G4 1.42; 1.5 GB RAM)

Kuzey
03-05-2005, 05:52 AM
Thanks Dave,

That's the whole idea....getting more time to play with Lightwave ;)

Since lightwave creates a logfile of what it installs and where, I got this crazy idea to do the following:

When a major upgrade comes along (one that creates a new Application folder),I can compare this logfile to the current state of the current Application folder. Anything that doesn't match (eg. third party plugins, Lscripts, shaders etc) gets copied to the new Application folder or to a different location, so you can go through them one at a time..if you want.

I'm thinking up stuff like that all the time ;)

Kuzey

JackDeL
03-05-2005, 09:25 AM
Kuzey, thanks for the update! I can tell you without hesitation that I need this application! :D I just recently spent alot of time reorganizing my project files/folders, so it will be very nice to be able to set that all up in one shot! :D

Looking forward to more updates! :cool:

Kuzey
03-07-2005, 06:19 AM
Anytime, it seems the more I do the more ideas I get...funny that ;)

Just a small update.

I'm in Izmir at the moment and don't believe in credit cards, so I can't purchase the LW8 upgrade online...silly me ;)

I got in touch with Chuck and he's doing all he can to help me out.
Hopefully I'll get my hands on the demo soon and go from there.

Until then.....wait...was that just another idea that popped into my head!!

Kuzey

JackDeL
12-13-2005, 09:23 PM
:bump:

Hey Kuzey, are you still with us? :twak:

How is the content manager coming? :D

Kuzey
12-14-2005, 01:39 AM
Hi Jack,

I'm still waiting for a response from Chuck, I guess he's busy with the next and best version of Lightwave...as it should be :bowdown:

I was going to release the content directory creator part a month ago then something funny happened. I found out there were five additional subfolders added to the directory structure. :D

So now I'm updating the design and experimenting with new ideas as I go along.

Kuzey

JackDeL
12-14-2005, 06:04 PM
Okay! just making sure it was still "in the works" Thanks for sticking with it! :thumbsup:

Ade
12-15-2005, 04:30 PM
Kuzey, nice going, i always said LW needed somting like this, as well as a collect for output feature.

Im from Melbourne too if you want a beta tester.

Matt
12-16-2005, 05:55 AM
So will this program rename the paths of textures used on models inside the LWO file?

Say if a user wanted to transfer a model from one project to another and have the textures associated with it come along too.

Matt

Kuzey
12-16-2005, 07:08 PM
Thanks guys,

I just wish I can work faster :D

Matt, that's a cool idea...it's now on my to do list!!

Kuzey