PDA

View Full Version : Render thickness on a surface one poly thick?

stompbox
10-02-2004, 06:29 PM
Hi
I'm working with ClothFX for a job. It's all going pretty good but the one-poly-thick cloth objects look like they're cut from paper.

I modeled clothing geometry with thickness and linked it with Metalink to the cloth object, but it distorts too much around the openings, where the geometry folds back around itself (unfortunately the same place where the cloth object distorts the most. Looks ok on the one poly object, but the more detailed thick shirt bucks twists and pokes out through itself trying to conform to the cloth object which is driving it.)

So my question is:
Is there a way to render the one poly cloth object to look thicker? It doesn't have to be too thick, just enough to get away from that "cut from paper" look.

Or does anyone have any tips on getting things to work with the modeled thicker shirt? (Like the shirt modeling tutorial on the Newtek site.) I tried Metalinking a shirt which was a copy of the original one poly thick cloth object, but with the edges around the holes curled around and in to form a lip. This didn't work either, same issues as above.

I though about fixing some polys, like a ring around the neck. This might calm things down a bit but the sleeves will still have the same problem, and I'd imagine it would look a bit wierd if a ring on the sleeves was fixed too.

SplineGod
10-02-2004, 11:50 PM
Use the single polythick object as a standin for the double walled cloth object.

stompbox
10-03-2004, 03:50 AM
Thanks for your reply Larry. :)
But I don't understand exactly what you mean.

Do you mean metalink, or something else? Metalinking has the problems I outlined above (the double walled cloth object bucks and passes through itself.)

Replacing the single polythick object with the double walled cloth object after calculating the dynamics means I have to recalculate, more headaches and unpleasant results.

Can you steer me in the right direction?

SplineGod
10-03-2004, 06:00 PM
Can you post some images of the cloth?

stompbox
10-04-2004, 05:24 AM
Well here's the thing :)
I am solving cloth issues before I go ahead and build my own character and clothing. So for now I have been messing about with the Zombie shirt scene in LW8 content (dynamics.) Reverse engineering the scene using the cloth and collision FX settings Proton kindly shared HERE (http://www.spinquad.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1251)
Then I tried modeling a version of the shirt with thickness using geometry, and using that with ClothFX (no good) and then tried Metalinking the thick shirt to the original shirt in the scene, which kind of worked but got messy.

Larry if what you are talking about is along these lines, or a similar but different process, I am interested :)

But for my needs with this job, Tudor pointed me to this Fake Edge Shader (http://home.att.ne.jp/omega/tabo/3dlabo/p_lwp.html) which is doing the job nicely, faking an edge on the one-poly-thick cloth shirt without requring added geometry, and avoiding nasty issues.