PDA

View Full Version : Subdivisions in Layout

Blochi
10-02-2004, 03:29 PM
Hi,

I was browsing through the LWO file format description, and stumbled over the info that polygons and subpatches only differ slightly. So, just for the challenge of it, I wrote a script that toggles between Polygons and SubPatches. In Layout.

Probably the most useless script ever, because to speed up SubPatches it is much safer and faster to set Display SubPatch Level to 0. Only the other way round is unique, converting Polygons to SubPatches.... Something that is actually impossible within the current Layout architecture. Not only LScript, but the whole SDK and LW itself can't do it. Hence the challenge ;)

It works excellent for single-layered objects, and supports multiselection. But then again, since this is something nobody really needs, I am stopping here. Point proven, mission complete. Hereby I release the source code for anyone who wants to improve it further, speed it up, or just check out an example on how to do simple binary hacks on LWO files.

www.Blochi.com/gfx/lscripts/SubPatcher_OpenSource.ls

Please be aware the the very nature of this hack can screw your object files. For example, it can generate illegal N-Gon SupPatches. LW gracefully skips them, and doesn't show the poly at all. Interesting, though, because it reappears when the Display SubP Level is set to 0.
Be cautious!! Only test it on copies.

Cheers,
Blochi

GregMalick
10-02-2004, 05:25 PM
Most Excellent of you to share! :cool:

faulknermano
10-03-2004, 04:55 AM
hi blochi, actually this is pretty useful to those who dont use the hub to update objects in layout. thanks for the source. :D