PDA

View Full Version : Envelope Channel Groups

GregMalick
10-02-2004, 10:53 AM
Aloha,
I can't find the answer in the manual, forum, or mailing list archives.

It's easy to create a new envelope/channel in the group of my choice.
But what if I want to have a logical structure of Channel Groups created, like the Surface Editor creates when you create an envelope:

Surfaces
ObjectName
SurfaceName
ChannelName
It seems that all I can create is the first level. I'd like to also have the object name as a sub-level. I've tried using a dot as a delimiter (to no avail).
Will someone please enlighten me?

faulknermano
10-03-2004, 05:25 AM
hi greg, i've only had a few minutes to try my hand at your problem. from what i've seen, the envelope object agent is the only one that can create channel groups. not even the channel group object agents have a method for creating that, which is rather odd. when i have time later (e.g. much later) i'll see if there are possible workaround.. though i have a feeling it's impossible. :eek:

GregMalick
10-03-2004, 11:59 AM
Aloha,

Yes according to the LS docs, the Channel Groups don't have any method to create them. I had hoped that when creating an Envelope I could use a Group Name like "myGroup.sub1.sub2" and it would be smart enough to create the appropriate Channel Groups. No Luck.

I also stumbled on the follwing: If you add an envelope to an existing Group like "Surfaces" and the envelope isn't made persistent the entire Group is removed when the plugin is removed. Other panels like the Surface Editor will not be aware that the Group was destroyed and when it tries to use them CRASH :eek:

I'm starting to think that the intent is for every plugin to have its own Channel Group. Multiple instances of the plugin probably have to create different Groups or risk causing LW to crash when one of the plugins is removed. It's a pity - great design only half implemented.

Maybe an expert lurking in this forum will enlighten us.