PDA

View Full Version : OT: Myst IV: Revelation

Turner
10-02-2004, 09:33 AM
I say!

A new pinnacle in CG for games, and one that reinstates the authority of non-realtime-3d if backed with a substantive story.

I don't know how this thing was made (special edition not out yet, which includes making-of) but... sheesh... absolutlely stunning.

Andrew

WCameron
10-02-2004, 05:18 PM
i agree, if you put on all the effects settings its even more amazing.
only bad side is you really need 13 gig to install it fully, doing the compact
install seems to make it stutter and desynch the voice tracks...

or myabe its just me...

- Will.

Turner
10-02-2004, 06:31 PM
Luckily, I'm running on my G5 2x2 with a 20" monitor. Arguably this makes it more enjoyable than a mid-level machine with a 17" monotor.

I've heard the same thing about the full install. I did the full install to avoid stuttering in speech or animation, and I've seen it, but rarely, just if I click to change something while speech or animation is running.

I have never seen water effects like this before. Stunning stuff.

Andrew

i agree, if you put on all the effects settings its even more amazing.
only bad side is you really need 13 gig to install it fully, doing the compact
install seems to make it stutter and desynch the voice tracks...

or myabe its just me...

- Will.

Signal to Noise
10-04-2004, 10:37 PM
only bad side is you really need 13 gig to install it fully, ...

:confused: 13GB :confused:

I did a full install and space used is only 8GB (to be exact: 7,526,780,928 bytes)

I just played the first little bit of the game. In a word: BREATHTAKING!

(Game set to 1024x768, Effects enabled on a 2.8GHz, 1.5GB DDR RAM, and 128MB PNY Ultra FX5600)

Still have to finish URU first before I get involved with MYST IV! :o

WCameron
10-05-2004, 10:05 AM
its probably just me, it must have said 8 back when i skipped it for the compact
install.
gonna defrag then do the full install. so far its really shaping up nicely :-)

- Will.

art
10-05-2004, 10:22 AM
I didnt know there is new myst. :eek: I must buy. I must buy.

I loved myst and especially riven. Myst III was alright, but I did not like it as much as the first two. How is Myst URU btw? I never played it.

8 gig is quite a bit for a game, but with today's hard drives I bet most of us have at least 100GB of space.

Signal to Noise
10-05-2004, 12:19 PM
...How is Myst URU btw? I never played it...

URU is an excellent adventure. There is a great single player game but URU was designed for on-line multiplayer adventuring. Sadly the multiplayer part didn't do very well and was recently canceled. If you're a MYST die-hard then pick it up but if you decide to pass it won't really affect the main story line. MYST IV pretty much continues from Exile as far as I can tell. In MYST IV there are a lot of references made to the story lines of the previous three games but I do not think it incorporates URU into the mix. Perhaps some one who has gotten further in Revelations can comment?

...8 gig is quite a bit for a game, but with today's hard drives I bet most of us have at least 100GB of space.

My main desktop has only 30GB of space and the HDs are partitioned in 8 GB increments, all almost full with various apps/files. So I had to install Revelations on my Maxtor external drive. Works like a charm! :)
I