PDA

View Full Version : State of mac developments at NEWTEK

Ade
04-05-2003, 08:48 PM
Hi I am fairly new to lightwave and love it.
I am reading though alot of bad press about the state of mac support for lightwave.
Alot of ppl seem to be discontent and discouraged due to the state of mac development and evolution for Lightwave.
I hear many programmers have left for Luxology which in turn is why our update to 7.5b was delayed.
Can NEWTEK comment on the status of the mac development team and their goals thy see in the future to improve the PPC version of lightwave?
I just upgraded my mac to run lightwave faster, and have allocated money on the side to purchase LW8 when its out.

Who makes up the mac LW team? How many ppl?
Is it just Chuck? or a series of ppl?
Maybe u guys could allocate a mac LW beta tester team?
Would help prevent 7.5b recalls from happening again?

wapangy
04-05-2003, 10:20 PM
I second that.

Ade
04-06-2003, 12:00 AM
Chuck is a pretty open minded guy maybe he can shed some light?

Johnny
04-06-2003, 06:48 AM
Here, too..

I'd like some kind of a basic road map as to when we can expect things to work properly, and when we can have feature parity with the Windows version.

Seems there are a couple of big things which don't work which others can speak of, but I am most sabotaged by that funky Hub!

It seems like a pretty basic thing and ought to function.

J

Ade
04-06-2003, 08:40 AM
Yes a road map is more to our likings.
Right now it seems like us mac users are like, we wait till newtek team has some spare time they work on the mac version as if it werent a priority.

Does Alias or maxxon do the same or are they more voicetrous with their mac roadmap?

personally i want Lightwave to be the 3D app apple markets on their web sites.

An idea -
Why doesnt Newtek release a FREE benchmark app specifically made for DP and altivec on a mac, sort of like maxxons cinebench.

Then give it to apple to use when they compare their newer macs on their pages like they do with PS7.
Like that lightwave gets free advertising, IS seen as the benchmark app of choice in 3d world and is cool and useful to use.

riki
04-06-2003, 04:56 PM
has anyone noticed?? it's very quiet in the Mac forums lately. Almost dead around here.

Johnny
04-06-2003, 05:22 PM
uhhh...maybe they're watching TV?

Rory_L
04-06-2003, 07:32 PM
Sorry to hijack the thread, but...

I tried loading a head model that I made in 5.6 a few years back, into Layout (7.5) on my IMac, but it refused to load, saying there was not enough memory for point evaluation. I`ve already discovered I can`t run Skytracer and Saslite at the same time for the same reason.

Anyone else here run an IMac, OS9.2, and have the same problems with memory?

...And back on topic: me too: seconded! (or is that `thirded`?)

R

Jimzip
04-06-2003, 09:24 PM
No, sorry for the quietness 'around here', but I haven't been around for a while due to work at uni. I have read almost all the posts on the boards though...:D
Fellas, Lightwave 7.5 is working fine. 7.5b is even running just as well. I can say personally that I am still using it since I downloaded it, I haven't had one problem with it yet.
As for Lightwave 8. Obviously there is not one person working on it. You should really know no matter how new you are to computers that Newtek as a business that creates software for multiple platforms, have a Mac development team, and also, it will probably be a while until LW8 is out, so continue to be happy as I am with 7.5..
On the Hub: I really do not know what all this damn hype is about. I press 'CMD H' and I don't look at it again while I'm using the two apps. Honestly I've never had a problem with it or using it, and it hasn't slowed down my production time in the slightest. Perhaps if you are still using Mac OS 9, you should consider moving to OSX as 9 is being phased out, just in case you hadn't noticed.
Anyway, I wouldn't worry about 'the state of Lightwave developement at Newtek'. That's the sole purpose of that company. To make the product for us, the users, and that's what they've been doing since Inspire 3D 1, anyway. Just my comments.
Jimzip

Beamtracer
04-07-2003, 10:12 PM
As I understand, Newtek always created Lightwave on a platform agnostic code base, and then ported this code to other platforms.

One guy, Matt Craig I believe, single handedly did the port to the Mac for Lightwave versions 6 to 7.5. He has since left Newtek.

toby
04-08-2003, 01:26 AM
yea, the Mac Forums have gotten much quieter, since the release of OSX. I noticed that almost a year ago. Everybody's working, when they used to be pulling their hair out ( SUBTLE HINT ) with OS9.

As for a "road map", don't expect that from any company, and "parity", stop looking through the fence at what the neighbors' got. If you can't get your work done, get Maya Unlimited... oh, wait, they don't make that for the Mac -
I don't mean to belittle problems like the hub, i'm just tired of "Ogl works better on PC" or "they have more plug-ins". If you like the way it works on PC, get a PC. If you want the best of both worlds, wish for it, but don't act like you've been cheated.

LW is the best 3D app for the Mac. Until that changes, relax a bit

Ade
04-08-2003, 02:04 AM
Originally posted by toby
yea, the Mac Forums have gotten much quieter, since the release of OSX. I noticed that almost a year ago. Everybody's working, when they used to be pulling their hair out ( SUBTLE HINT ) with OS9.

As for a "road map", don't expect that from any company, and "parity", stop looking through the fence at what the neighbors' got. If you can't get your work done, get Maya Unlimited... oh, wait, they don't make that for the Mac -
I don't mean to belittle problems like the hub, i'm just tired of "Ogl works better on PC" or "they have more plug-ins". If you like the way it works on PC, get a PC. If you want the best of both worlds, wish for it, but don't act like you've been cheated.

LW is the best 3D app for the Mac. Until that changes, relax a bit

Rather than leaving id rather stay with the mac and enourage it get as same as pc or better.

toby
04-08-2003, 02:13 AM
Encouraging is fine, I'm refering to the moaning and groaning.

And I never said anything about leaving Mac. You can own both.

Jimzip
04-08-2003, 02:45 AM
I stand Corrected. But I really do find it hard to believe that only one man ported an entire program to another platform.. That seems an amazing task..
I guess we can only hope that they have found someone as good as Matt to do the job, or better, a few people.

Jimzip. :D

Beamtracer
04-08-2003, 06:00 AM
Originally posted by Jimzip
I stand Corrected. But I really do find it hard to believe that only one man ported an entire program to another platform.

You don't believe it? There's something about it on Luxology's website:
http://www.luxology.net/company/engineers.aspx

mlinde
04-08-2003, 06:43 AM
http://www.newtek.com/shows/nab/2003/specials.html#LW

Read closely, at the bottom of the page.

Of course, this promo is for PC workstations, until April 21st, and most companies have a 1-3 month grace period to get a free upgrade when you purchase the software, so let's guess that LW[8] will be shipping in the summer, at least for Windows. However, the one thing that had been true in the past -- are you listening Chuck, and Deuce? -- is that Newtek released Mac versions simultaneously with the PC versions**. Can we hope that 7.5c is days away, with the bugs fixed that 7.5b introduced, with 8.0 not far behind?

** this statement is not true of bug fixes in 5.x and 7.x

luka
04-08-2003, 07:44 AM
Very interesting?

Do you think that Newtek and luxology are starting to shell out info out in small tid bits or is it just me. If I am not wrong it looks like they're letting us know the story but we have to peice it together like detectives.

So perhaps we have to do a bit of cut and paste to reveal the ending?

;)

Ade
04-08-2003, 08:13 AM
There is a big discussion bout Luxology and its history at www.cgtalk.com

Interesting.

Ade
04-08-2003, 10:47 AM
Pics of luxology, dunno how old..

Ade
04-08-2003, 10:50 AM
team pic, I think its safe to say they dig the mac...!
Be great to see some Newtek input?

Ade
04-08-2003, 10:53 AM
'NUFF PROOF FOR ME...

Ade
04-08-2003, 11:04 AM
:)

wapangy
04-08-2003, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by Ade

You just made my day brighter. :)

Oooooo, xServe....

wapangy
04-08-2003, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by Ade
Be great to see some Newtek input?

Yeah

Newtek, Please post a picture of your Macs.

Thanks
:)

moovieboy
04-08-2003, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by Ade

Considering that's Matrix-Reloaded Superbowl trailer on the screen, I'd guess maybe only 2 months old :)

luka
04-08-2003, 11:18 PM
Is that LW 8 code?

Beamtracer
04-09-2003, 06:45 AM
No, that's Luxology's top secret new 3D app!!! :)

Matt
04-09-2003, 07:27 AM
my worries . . .

Fact 1:

1) Most of old NewTek are now at Luxology

Fact 2:

2) NewTek are currently advertising vancancies for 3D coders etc . . .

Therefore:

If Luxology aren't developing for LW (but some other app, LW beater?)

Who is developing LightWave right now at NT?

Are Luxology helping at all? If not a LOT of knowledge has left NT.

Thoughts?

luka
04-09-2003, 07:35 AM
Picture Homer Simpson
mmmm top secret 3D app code :p

moovieboy
04-09-2003, 04:04 PM
Regarding the group photo... Whose place is that? Didn't any of these former wavers make enough money to buy a decent couch?:p

-Tom

luka
04-09-2003, 09:10 PM
I think that could be the secret 3D App confrence room.
They seem to have an airport network setup?

Ade
06-18-2003, 05:15 AM
I wonder how much Newtek talks with Apple inputting what they want to see in Open GL and OSX? New Apple stuff soon, nows a good time to talk.

Beamtracer
06-18-2003, 06:51 AM
I think it's the other way around. Newtek needs to go to the Apple Worldwide Developers Conference next week to find out what Apple has to offer (in Panther).

Ade
06-18-2003, 07:08 AM
Good point, you know I would like to see booths and pictures of Newtek crew attending apple shows, I love Newtek heaps and I love my mac, I want it to stay that way. Mac ppl are the most loyal, Im sick of all this Maya talk when it comes to Apple and 3D.

luka
06-19-2003, 08:29 PM
I think Newtek do attend the ADC. I think they showed off LW7 When OSX first ported if my memory serves me right. I think they where showing off the Baked raydiosity stuff?

battery555
06-20-2003, 02:40 AM
maya? what is maya? O... I remembered, is for the PC.:o

moovieboy
06-20-2003, 03:40 AM
Originally posted by battery555
maya? what is maya? O... I remembered, is for the PC.:o :confused: :confused:

-Tom

Ade
06-21-2003, 12:37 PM
Im interested to know what the newtek team thinks about those apple g5 specs leaked? Are they excited, do they wish certain things in future apple hardware?

DoF
07-03-2003, 10:44 AM
nice to see developers using the *correct* platform;)