PDA

View Full Version : Exclusive @ CG Channel - Sun @ 8:00 pm

extrabyte
04-05-2003, 09:22 PM
Does anyone know who or what they're talking about?

Mike_RB
04-05-2003, 09:50 PM
No idea, But I'm sure the rumor mongers will get a hold of this and turn it into somthing about Mr. Peebler and friends. Wait and see.

Mike

extrabyte
04-05-2003, 10:07 PM
Yeah, well, that's the first place I went. And out of a reflex action I'm sorry to admit.

wapangy
04-05-2003, 11:29 PM
Apple scheduled a press release for sunday. Some say Final Cut 4 may come out. But 8 p.m. would be a while after the press release.

Who knows...

Mylenium
04-06-2003, 09:04 AM
Stay calm guys. I know what it's all about. Unfortunately I'm bound by an vow of silence.

Mylenium

wapangy
04-06-2003, 04:08 PM
Well Apple DID just release Final Cut 4, DVD Studio Pro 2, and Shake 3. They look awsome.

However, thats not what CGChannel was talking about.

hrgiger
04-06-2003, 07:20 PM
Is it Maya 5? Is that the big story? Gee whiz. How exciting.

Elmar Moelzer
04-06-2003, 08:03 PM
Yepp, seems like it was MAYA5, not too exciting, but oh well, at least we have seen some more hype once again ;-)
CU
Elmar

wapangy
04-06-2003, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by CIM
Lets hope we hear some good news from Newtek/Luxology on LW, and no more crappy, bug-filled versions like 7.5b. :rolleyes:

Yeah, I think NewTek needs to come out and say what Luxology is, and what their long term plan for LightWave is. They are just too quiet sometimes, its scarry. They make good software, but as a company NewTek has problems. For heavens sake get LW discovery edition online!!

mattclary
04-07-2003, 06:47 AM
This would be a prime time to move to Maya, Cim. There's the door. Bye.

Rory_L
04-07-2003, 08:10 AM
Hehe!

But what`s wrong with sitting on the fence and using both, eh? I`m looking forward to the upgrade, as I`ve been stuck with 4.01 for the last year while the project`s still going on, but I`m finishing very soon. Hooray! :eek:

Had a quick look on the Maya site. Some nice things, but a lot of the fanfared new features just bring Maya up to scratch next to Lightwave, particularly in the poly modeling area. Holy cow: a knife tool!!! Right. :rolleyes:

R

jjburton
04-07-2003, 11:23 AM
How much was the upgrade to 4.5 and now $800+ to 5.0 in less than a year? Does that not bother anyone?

takkun
04-07-2003, 01:52 PM
It bothers me that you have to shell out $$$ for a .5 update. But it doesn't bother me how quickly they are developing Maya.

mattclary: I think that CIM already uses Maya and Lightwave together. There's nothing wrong with that.

policarpo
04-07-2003, 06:58 PM
are you looking for a pat on the back CIM?

i think CIM needs a hug for being such a multi-facted individual...

http://www.cybersurvey.com/Teletubby%20Grappling.jpg

hrgiger
04-07-2003, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by CIM
Now, XSI 3.5 is announced, yet we don't hear a peep on LightWave's development.

And you won't until it's released. Just like we don't hear anything about Maya's development until it's releasaed. What's the point?

And you say Maya does some things better then Lightwave, if you're using both Maya and LW, then you must think that LW does some things better then Maya but I've never heard you say anything positive like that about LW.

Which brings us to another point. I love it when I hear that people use Max, Maya, and LW (I mean hobbyists more then people working in the field). Am I really supposed to believe that someone is dumb enough to spend their money to stay up to date on 2 or 3 very expensive 3-D programs? I'm assuming you're using warez versions and what's so great about that?

private
04-07-2003, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by hrgiger
Which brings us to another point. I love it when I hear that people use Max, Maya, and LW (I mean hobbyists more then people working in the field). Am I really supposed to believe that someone is dumb enough to spend their money to stay up to date on 2 or 3 very expensive 3-D programs? I'm assuming you're using warez versions and what's so great about that?

Hrgiger, are you a dumbass? Just because CIM has an opinion that's not rosey all the time and that he says he uses Maya and LW, means that he's using warez? He's released free scripts to the community, answers questions and speaks his mind. I don't find that dumb. By saying someone is efficient in two packages is so unfathomable to you, you publically assume he's using a cracked copy. For a professional poster at 545 and counting, why don't you spend your time doing something more constructive instead of being the mighty defender of Newtek.

Look at the facts. 7.5b was released and retracted on the Mac side. 7.5b still sits on the PC side, scripts broken, but not retracted. Updated l-script 2.6x has been hinted that it's fixed. Other platforms are announcing their upgrades. The LW demo is still not online. Lightwave just contining to be at a Newtek employee has publically suggested on CGTalk that people should use 7.5.

From an outsider looking to get into 3D, Lightwave isn't the easy program to try because access to the crippled demo is hard to get, read unneccessarily difficult. By CIM pointing something like this out, he gets labelled a rebel. Sometimes the facts are hard to take when you're seduced by a product you really like. Fair enough. I bought Lightwave too, but if I wouldn't hesitate to buy Maya if it helped me in a production environment. There wouldn't be the need, if LW accomplished all the needs more easily. Using more than one package for different stages isn't that uncommon, for freelancers or studios.

It's common for many people to model in Lightwave, Texture and Render in Lightwave, and use Maya for animation and dynamics. Everytime someone does that, are you going to go, "warez guy/gal"....you can't use two programs.

Fore example, go visit the Lost Pencil page, and he uses LW, Maya, Max, Messiah. He provides a lot of excellent information for LW people AND Maya people. Go check it out. Are you going to accuse him of using a warez copy? Why not? Members in this community have a varying opinion and are also free to speculate. Some do it with some thought. Others just ramble for 545 posts and make many people think of programming.

For example:

int hrgiger = 1;
int dumbass = 1;

if (hrgiger == dumbass)
cout << "Give your head a shake.";

// no need for an else statement

hrgiger
04-08-2003, 12:29 AM
Panties in a twist anyone?

private
04-08-2003, 12:35 AM
Now you assume I'm a woman. :rolleyes:

hrgiger
04-08-2003, 12:58 AM
No, that would be an insult to women.

hrgiger
04-08-2003, 01:25 AM
This is how CIM thinks he is being helpful:

CIM: Lightwave Sucks! It renders so slow and has crappy animation tools. I can do everything better in Maya! Lightwave needs an update now! I can't do anything in Lightwave so it must be broken! Fix it! Plug-ins suck! Lightwave Architecture sucks! It all just sucks so much! Did I mention that it sucks?

Newtek: Did you hear that development team? CIM thinks Lightwave sucks! We better do something. He's written a few LW scripts so he's very important. It hadn't occurred to us until CIM pointed it out that we should be developing the next version of Lightwave! Duh! Let's get started right now. CIM has saved Lightwave. Hooray!

takkun
04-08-2003, 01:38 AM
This thread is getting ugly. Keep it up, I'm going to grab some popcorn.

private
04-08-2003, 02:15 AM
Originally posted by CIM
Hrgiger has already proven he/she is an idiot noob that can't stand precious LW not being praised by all.

No, that would be an insult to idiot noobs.

hrgiger
04-08-2003, 02:21 AM
Oooh good one private. Did you think of that one all by yourself or did you steal that from someone?

Takkun
;)

all in good fun.

private
04-08-2003, 02:38 AM
Now you're suggesting that I use cracked comebacks? Please. You obviously don't have the quick wit to go back and forth. That's demonstrated in your grade 2ish comebacks, but that would be insulting most grade two children and their comebacks. It's obvious you don't have much of a clue, and you get your jollies off with a high post count.

It's good to have an oppinion, to flaboyantly say people haven't paid for their software or there's no way people can be proficient in more than one software is silly. Wouldn't you agree?

Hrgigergoof,
1. Do you think your remarks were off base saying,

Am I really supposed to believe that someone is dumb enough to spend their money to stay up to date on 2 or 3 very expensive 3-D programs? I'm assuming you're using warez versions and what's so great about that?

2. Are you personally offended when someone isn't 100% happy with LW?

3. What version of Lightwave are you using, 7.5 or 7.5b?

Please, let's turn this discussion into a discussion about the software rather than how dense you are in what you post.

Emmanuel
04-08-2003, 03:44 AM
MODERATION REQUESTED !!!!!!!!!
This is getting out of hand.
CGTalk is o much cooler than the "new" newtek forums, I preferred the old ones, I am outta here.

takkun
04-08-2003, 04:18 AM
Emmanuel, don't take it so seriously. If you don't take forums seriously, they become a lot more entertaining.

mattclary
04-08-2003, 06:43 AM
I've seen hrgiger provide plenty of assistance to people on these boards, which is more than I can say for either Private or CIM. All I hear from them is complaining about how bad LW is. I agree with hrgiger, if Cim uses Maya and LW, LW must have some aspects that are superior to Maya. Cim, can we see some links to your work, you must really be awesome to garner such praise from private.

private
04-08-2003, 07:36 AM
Matt, please don't put words in my mouth. Firstly, wouldn't you agree with me that it's silly to assume someone is using a cracked copy of LW because they use two programs. Get this straight, I like LW, but there are things that are puzzling. Is that bad? I'm not giving anyone "praise", but I respect he speaks his mind and has points to back it up. This isn't some love ship, that when ever someone has something constructive (you direhards read negative), they get poked.

I made a point to show where I thought he erred in his postings with what he said, and then he's comes back with insults, so the barrage is on. It's not my fault he wasn't clever enough combat my arguments, admit he was wrong or answer my questions.

If anything, along with pointing out hrgiger's mistakes, hopefully I made some people chuckle. Seems like takkun is taking it the right way. It's not too serious, but I still believe that I'm right in this argument, despite some justified name calling (on my part).

mattclary
04-08-2003, 08:54 AM
I don't mind the occasional complaints about some specific problem with LightWave, but when 90% of a person's posts keep complaining about the product, rarely with any specifics, it makes you wonder why they are even here.

hrgiger
04-08-2003, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by private
... despite some justified name calling (on my part).

I believe I was referring to CIM, not you. Is CIM your boyfriend or something? If so, I apologize I hurt your boyfriend's feelings.

Again private, I don't know what got your panties all in a twist. You think CIM has every right to his opinion but not me? But I'll answer your questions.

1. No, I don't think my remarks were off base. I would be willing to bet that any person who is using both Lightwave and Maya and actually paid for them, are a pretty small precentage of users. Now you notice, I said before, hobbyists and not professionals who might actually have company provided software. And I never said anything about not being able to be proficient in more then one package. If people are, hey, more power to them. You should read the posts before you reply.

2. No, never said anything about being offended by somebody who doesn't like Lightwave. CIM doesn't offer constructive criticism about LW like he thinks he does. He just says this sucks and that sucks and doesn't offer any specifics to back it up. Telling somebody their artwork sucks but doesn't really mention WHY it sucks, doesn't really help them at all. This is what I take issue with. CIM just sounds like someone who needs a new piece of software because LW is obviously not doing it for him.

3. I'm using 7.5b. Other then a few problems I had with ACS4 not working, I've still managed to do the same things I did before. And the patch for ACS4 for 7.5b was released the very next day. No skin off my back.

And private, I have to tell you, if you think calling someone a dumbass or adding the word "goof" to their name is clever, then you really need to get out more.

JohnL
04-08-2003, 02:51 PM
Am I really supposed to believe that someone is dumb enough to spend their money to stay up to date on 2 or 3 very expensive 3-D programs? I'm assuming you're using warez versions and what's so great about that? That has to be the GOOFiest statement of 2003. Good job!

550+ posts and counting - Who is it actually that needs to get out more?

hrgiger
04-08-2003, 03:53 PM
Why is that so goofy John? It's a generalization. How many people who say that they use both LW and Maya (not for work once again, as a hobby) do you think actually own both programs? Own as in bought and paid for? You'd probably be being naive if you said more then 20% of them.

Oh, and I have no desire to get out more.

JohnL
04-08-2003, 04:27 PM
Excuse me,
The GOOFiest generalization of 2003.

But don't take my word for it.

Take a poll.

That will probably bump your total up another 50 posts or so.

BTW I don't remember you making a distinction between hobby and work in your original post.

private
04-08-2003, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by JohnL
Excuse me,
The GOOFiest generalization of 2003.

But don't take my word for it.

Take a poll.

That will probably bump your total up another 50 posts or so.

BTW I don't remember you making a distinction between hobby and work in your original post.

Told you hrgiger.... :)

hrgiger
04-08-2003, 07:41 PM
JohnL, go back and you'll see that I did make a distinction between work and hobby.
And what's the big deal about the number of my posts anyway? I offer criticism to a lot of people, most everyone in fact, and also offer advice and info to anyone who asks something that I know the answer for. And your problem with that is what? That's the general idea of the forum.

Uh, told me what private?

hrgiger
04-08-2003, 07:42 PM
Which brings us to another point. I love it when I hear that people use Max, Maya, and LW (I mean hobbyists more then people working in the field).

That is what I originally said. HOBBYIST.

colkai
04-09-2003, 05:17 AM
Ok,
Don't normally get into this stuff, but...

I am a hobbyist, I spend 11 hours a day on a dreary day job, I got into LW a while back.
I PAY for every upgrade, I started with a second-hand copy and upgrade as and when I can. To date, I am on LW7.5, occasionally, I'll skip an update as Newtek are good enough to provide people with older versions a cheap 2-level upgrade. I've been on both sides of that fence.
I cannot believe you think that just because it's for a hobby, you shouldn't buy the product. Plus, it works out at about 300 ukp every 18-24 months, given that most folks probably blow that in under 3 months on beer and cigarettes, it ain't that expensive. My magazine/paper bill per month is 50 ukp, more than enough to save for an upgrade.
Prior to LW, I used freeware or software from magazine coverdisks, but then hey, I have a consience!

I also play guitar as a hobby, have to buy equipment for that, so why draw a distinction with software? Of course, I maybe in the stupid minority, but then you wonder, why should I waste my time helping the "clever" majority learn their stolen software? If they are that ******* clever, they should know how to do it, but wait, is that a "how do I save my render" message I see on the horizon? :rolleyes:

private
04-09-2003, 05:40 AM
It's ok colkai, because according to hrgiger's logic, if you actually said you used another package, he assumes you didn't pay for it. He knows nothing about you, but he'll spout off. Hey, it's not possible you paid for it, can't be, can't be.

Originally posted by Rory_L
Hehe!

But what`s wrong with sitting on the fence and using both, eh? I`m looking forward to the upgrade, as I`ve been stuck with 4.01 for the last year while the project`s still going on, but I`m finishing very soon. Hooray! :eek:

Common hrgiger, tell him publically he's using a crack. Come on! You seem to makes other comments without foundation. I for one have no reason to doubt that he just uses both software packages. Is that a bad thing? No. I don't even care if he's paid for them. I would hope and think he has. If Newtek wants to protect their software more from being used by people who don't want to pay, I fully support them. I paid for my copy and think many people have too.

I hope Rory_L comes in and says he's a hobbist so you can eat your:

Since you like quoting yourself, I'll do the same, but mine makes more sense.

Snip
dumbass,
Snip[/B]

Snip
Hrgigergoof,
Snip

Snip.
And private, I have to tell you, if you think calling someone a dumbass or adding the word "goof" to their name is clever
Snip (:))

This is the 1st thing that's made sense in 559 posts and counting.

hrgiger
04-09-2003, 08:28 AM
colkai,

You seem to be suffering the same problem that private and JohnL are in that you're not reading the posts. I never said you shouldn't pay for the software, I'm saying that most hobbyists who say they use both LW and Maya or/and XSI probably are not paying users of all of them. Only in a small percentage of users. If you're going to bother replying to a thread, you should read back more then a message or two to see what you are responding to.

Um, private, why would I accuse Rory of using a crack? I never said that a small percentage of users didn't buy both softwares. I was talking about CIM who doesn't seem to know jack about Lightwave which I think comes from the fact that he's probably never cracked the spine on a manuel, most likely due to the fact that he doesn't own one.
I'm guessing from your language that you're anywhere from 12-17 years old?

mattclary
04-09-2003, 08:42 AM
I agree with hrgiger, I've never seen Cim post anything that leads me to believe he actually knows anything about LightWave (other than it sucks and Newtek is going the way of the dodo).

colkai
04-09-2003, 01:12 PM
hrgiger,
Maybe I'm too dumb, or maybe you missed the point entirely.
I don't happen to run Mayaand LW, but I DO have LW and another hobby, put the total together and I *could* afford to run both if I didn't have other hobbies.
My point was, if someone is serious about their hobby, they *will* invest the money to pursue it. I have about 6Ks worth of studio / guitar equipment, which I have built up over some 10 years or so. Am I in a band? Not any more, do I get any money out of it, nope! Will I buy more stuff in future, most probably.

Do not confuse a serious hobbyist with a part-time warez artist!

Oh and by the way, I read all the posts, but then, maybe I'm too old and stupid to understand them, but I could of swore you said most hobbyists, not most young kids with no income. In my mind, there is a big difference.

hrgiger
04-09-2003, 02:36 PM
Colkai,

Not saying you were dumb at all and no offense meant. Again I say, I don't doubt that there are people(hobbyists) who own both programs, I'm just willing to bet that there are a lot more who don't.
Anyway, it's a moot point and not important, and I don't really care about debating it any longer.

Lamont
04-09-2003, 06:22 PM
You guys are funny.

Well as this did look like a good thread to post something in, here it goes:

Yeah, I think the content that CG Channel is posting is videos w/ the Maya people. I'll D/L it later...

I suggest you guys drop it. It's nothing worth posting over, besides, take it to the PM, that's what it's for.

colkai
04-10-2003, 03:25 AM
hrgiger,
On the point of plenty not "owning" the software, yup, I have to agree with you, sad but true. I think it is down to how easy it is to obtain pirated software. Forums, newsgroups, web-sites, computer fairs, the list goes on.
Strange that these folks seem to think they should pay for hardware upgrades, or a second PC, but *not* for their software <shrugs> go figure huh?

As I say, normally don't get into it, but hey, I was having a crappy day!:(

Well, as you say, movin' on to more important stuff, like getting my morning coffee ;)

Rory_L
04-14-2003, 07:40 AM
Wondered why my ears were burning! Should have kept an eye on this thread. You guys are so funny! Fight fight fight!! :D

And just to throw a few sticks on the fire...No, I didn`t pay for the copy of Maya that I use. Ooooh!:eek:

R

Chuck
04-14-2003, 09:21 AM
but I still believe that I'm right in this argument, despite some justified name calling (on my part).

Name calling is never justified, and if you continue this pattern your account will be moderated or removed. The same goes for anyone who engages in insulting the other party in a discussion, rather than actually discussing issues.

Chuck
04-14-2003, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by CIM
... has already proven he/she is an idiot noob that can't stand precious LW not being praised by all.

If you have reasons that you disgree with someone else's opinions, just state them. If you continue name-calling when someone disagrees with you, then your account will be moderated or removed.

Chuck
04-14-2003, 09:29 AM
I'm assuming you're using warez versions and what's so great about that?

Again, this is debating personalities rather than discussing issues. This kind of accusation has no place in a discussion. Refrain from personal attacks and unfounded accusations or your account will be moderated or removed.