PDA

View Full Version : Silly Newbie Texture Problem

nopictures
09-30-2004, 06:41 PM
I know it's probably a newbie thing, but I'd really like to know why my texture is curving like that (the black designs). When I apply it as cylindrical it's perfectly straight. However, it doesn't apply the way I'd like it to utilizing that method. Someone, please help?

-N

http://www.nightowlpictures.com/Test2.jpg

toby
09-30-2004, 08:36 PM
You'll need to use uv mapping to get that to look right.

Rory_L
09-30-2004, 10:35 PM
...Or you can get good results with this type of decal-style texture by mapping each black part separately onto their respective places on the head, masking the other parts with alpha textures stacked immediately above the image texture. This way you certainly could map, say the eyebrow pattern cylindrically onto the right place on the head without any distortion. Note that moving the texture position radically influences cylindrical mapping quality.

Why go to all this bother when you could UV map the whole texture onto the face in one go? Because UV map mapping is mesh resolution dependent! UV map the SDS cage and you get texture warping on the high poly object. Traditional mapping techniques don`t have this problem.

Cheers,

R

nopictures
10-01-2004, 07:04 PM
Toby - that actually is a UV map, that's what's strange to me, perhaps it's a resolution problem as Rory said.

Rory - thanks for the advice, I'll give that a try - I'm willing to put in the extra effort if it yields better results, absolutely!

On a side note, I tried treating the UV map as a planar map and it looked much better. Go figure.

-N

Ryhnio
10-01-2004, 09:51 PM
despite the fact that the map is messed up, the black spots gives your character a cool tribal tattoo look-

:eek:

-ryhnio