PDA

View Full Version : Satin: Reinventing the wheel?

chrisdz
09-30-2004, 06:01 PM
I've been texturing a satin gift bow, primarily with gradients and some really basic texture added with procedurals (mostly very fine lines to catch some shine and give the impression of the "weave").

As I'm doing this, it strikes me that I'm probably reinventing the wheel. There used to be all sorts of cool libraries of Lightwave materials floating about but I'll be darned if I can find any of them now.

Could someone lend a hand with some parameters for a believable satin... or point me to some material archives? At the very least, dissecting a few well-done textures will likely ignite the appropriate lightbulbs in my brain and let me finish the job! :)

Silkrooster
09-30-2004, 09:03 PM
If you can get your hands on "Lightwave 3D 8 Texturing" by Leigh van der Byl. There is a tutorial about a velvet hat with a satin ribbon. I'll give you a hint play with the gradients especially Incidence angle and light incidence.
Silk

chrisdz
09-30-2004, 11:53 PM
Hmm... I have the book and I've been through it before. I know right where to find the "velvet" texture used in the top hat example - and while it's great, it's not exactly what I'm shooting for. The texture I have (made with gradients) is "okay" but it's not... I don't know. It's decent... but it's as far as I can take it without a bit of guidance. There's something amiss that I can't quite peg.

http://www.chrisd.com/lj/ribbon.jpg

If you can get your hands on "Lightwave 3D 8 Texturing" by Leigh van der Byl. There is a tutorial about a velvet hat with a satin ribbon. I'll give you a hint play with the gradients especially Incidence angle and light incidence.
Silk

mattclary
10-01-2004, 05:18 AM
I think it should have a little reflectivity and/or some sharper highlights. Do you have a bow as reference or have any images?