PDA

View Full Version : saslite animal fur project

shelby
09-30-2004, 02:30 PM
I just finished a project at work that required a solar system with planets covered in animal fur. I was surprised at what could be done with saslite. I'm pretty happy with the results.

etobiason
09-30-2004, 05:17 PM
For some reason that had me cracking up. Planets covered in animal fur. Hilarious...I literally laughed out loud. Great job, too, by the way.

-e

Martin Adams
10-01-2004, 11:02 AM
I really love the tiger fur, it looks so cool. Any tips on how you created such a realistic composition of fur?

adrian
10-02-2004, 10:43 AM
Good fur! I too would love to know what settings you used...

Adrian.

hydrowire
10-02-2004, 08:49 PM
All look Hilarious! The second pic(Saturn?) that have a planet ring, the fur seems to 'drop down'on the ring. Does space has gravity or it is suppose to?

anyway, nice work, very real.

veljko
10-03-2004, 04:06 AM
i like it!:)

could you post the setttings or is it a trade secret?

@hydrowire- i belive thoes are just objects to aply the fur on, but its nice to know you have a firm grasp on elementary phisics

rogergbh
10-03-2004, 05:51 PM
I've been lurking around for awhile and when I came accross this post I just had to share some old renders. I made these about six months ago playing around with Saslite. I guess great minds think alike :)

veljko
10-04-2004, 01:41 AM
:) cool image:)

Martin Adams
10-04-2004, 11:35 AM
Quite interesting when you think about gravity and fur on a planet. In theory all the fur would get pulled towards the centre of the planet, so would the fur just sit flat along the surface?

Then with the rings, the gravity would pull it towards the centre making that droop inwards.

Of course, if the planet is spinning as well then wouldn't that have some kind of curved drooping ... and if there is a satellite orbiting, would that have some effect like the moon affecting the ocean tides.

ahhh ... my head hurts now for thinking too much.

shelby
10-05-2004, 12:22 PM
No real secret to the technique. Fairly standard saslite settings with the exception of bumping up the Fur Density and Drooping. The only real challenge was the pattern. As far as I know Saslite just uses the color specified in the dialog. The patterns were created in Photoshop, exported as paths to illustrator, imported into Modeler using the EPSF loader. Then I used Drill:Stencil to cut the pattern into a sphere with a new surface. In Layout I just applied an instance of saslite to each surface. The leopard one really only looks good from the front or back. The pattern stretches on the sides. The tiger looks pretty good all around. Luckily I needed these for a poster so only one view was needed.

I didn't concern myself with the physics of hair in space. I figured furry planets are strange enough, so I wanted to make the fur as normal as possible.

rogergbh, those are some cool images!

- shelby

caesar
10-05-2004, 01:15 PM
Thanks for sharing!