PDA

View Full Version : ECW format for superhuge textures in LW?

Intuition
09-30-2004, 11:04 AM
I think many here may have heard of the Wavegen terrashader and also the infinimap tools.

They can take super massive texture files and keep them compressed with very little memory usage in LW and still have full detail images on your surfaces. No Jpg banding or anything.

http://www.wavgen.com/images/bottom/lwav_screenshot.jpg

http://www.db-w.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=3

The only problem I would run into with these plug ins is that I want to wrap these super huge images around a sphere to make great scaleable planet animations.

These only do planar mapping I believe.

Is there anyone who has experience with this or knows about a plug in that does support sphere/globe mapping?

Any comments on the subject are appreciated. Even if you only use it for planar mapping. I want to know how stable the software is and how great the renders turned out.

Lightwolf
09-30-2004, 12:03 PM
The only problem I would run into with these plug ins is that I want to wrap these super huge images around a sphere to make great scaleable planet animations.

These only do planar mapping I believe.
I'm working on it :)

While I won't (unfortunately) be able to emulate the complete behaviour of Images within Lightwave, new mapping types will be available soon (as well as a complete overhaul of infiniMap).

As for stability, I rendered roughly 30 minutes of animation with the predecessor for German tv (Tour de France 2000 and 2001).

Cheers,
Mike

Intuition
09-30-2004, 01:38 PM
Talking with the man himself.

Thanks for the efforts. I will be abusing this thing when it does spheres. Probably like 50 shots.

Also I am working on a directors new logo. So it would help alot.

Lightwolf
09-30-2004, 01:49 PM
Talking with the man himself.

Thanks for the efforts. I will be abusing this thing when it does spheres. Probably like 50 shots.

Lol... Send me a PM with your e-mail,and I'll keep you in touch, and send you a beta once I've got one.

Once I get the current production off my back *ouch* I'll be able to devote my time to infiniMap again. I did make a couple of important development steps lately, but I won't announce anything until it is ready.

Cheers,
Mike

Exper
10-01-2004, 03:13 AM
Lightwolf rocks! :cool: