PDA

View Full Version : Movie to control textures

dpaultaylor
09-29-2004, 04:42 PM
Hi,

I'm trying to control the effect of an object appearing from the ground up. I created an animated alpha map in after effects and applied this to the transpancy channel. I have a couple of questions :- 1. Is there a better approach than this and 2. In general, how can you control the timing of a movie file used as a texture in general?

Hope this is clear

thanks

Bytehawk
09-29-2004, 06:36 PM
you could use gradients and disance to object (like a null for ex.)
place a null and animate the null to animate the texture opacity and reflection.

if you have fprime this is a breeze...
or else use viper for previews.

SplineGod
09-30-2004, 12:34 AM
Theres many possible ways. Could you post a more specfic example? :)

dpaultaylor
09-30-2004, 05:26 AM
Here is the specific example. I liked the idea re the NULL and distance to object which would help with the timing of when the object appeared. In this example. the boot should appear to grow up from the ground (not morph). I'm not sure the NULL object would create this effect. I almost got this working by putting the movie in the transparency channel but the effect kicks in straight away. I suppose I could time the alpha movie map with the lightwave scene but this is getting messy. Thanks for your help so far.

jan_muentinga
09-30-2004, 06:53 AM
http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave/tutorials/animation/clip-map/index.html

that should help.

greets
jan

SplineGod
09-30-2004, 10:23 AM
You could use an effector in lightwave to flatten the geometry at the ground or just below the ground level. The free MELT plugin could also be used. I think in most cases either is a lot simpler then messing with clip maps. :)

jan_muentinga
09-30-2004, 02:28 PM
but if you use the melt plugin you get this drop of liquid on the floor.
dont know if he wants that look.
sounded like he wants something like these animated cutaways you often find in architectural animations...
but you are right larry, its a little bit more complicated.
depends...

greetz
jan

SplineGod
09-30-2004, 10:57 PM
Using LWs built in effector doesnt do that. The melt plugin doesnt either unless you tell it to. Either one will work fine :)

dpaultaylor
10-03-2004, 10:10 AM
Hi

Thanks for the info. I will try all the methods you have suggested. I have also discovered in the image editer that you can control the in and out frames of a movie and also hold the last frame. This gives me a lot of control over movie textures so I'll also try this as well.

Thanks again for yor help.