PDA

View Full Version : Can't save render in AVI

MaxB
09-29-2004, 03:56 PM
Hi,
I am a beginner with LW. I am experiencing the following problem: in Render Options when I try to select in Output File the type "DirectShow(avi)", I get the error message "cannot load external plug-in file <.....: utility.DVView.p". This is the only option within "type" that does not work. I tried to load that single plug-in using Edit Plug-ins / Add Plug-ins but still got the same error message (same result with "scan directory for plug-ins").
I've been suggested to convert to AVI using Quicktime but the quality of the resulting animation is really bad.
System: Powemac G5 Dual1.8, OSX 10.3.5, Lightwave 8.0.1.
Any suggestion?
Thanks a lot

toby
09-29-2004, 09:41 PM
I think DvView is for PC's only. What kind of avi do you want to make and what's it for?

The_Eye
09-30-2004, 10:16 AM
the only avi I've put out were divx and that wass using QT Pro player to export as divx avi. No problems. Maybe you have to take a moment and edit the options for the avi output. It might be defaulting to a crappy setting.

Also, it's a good habit to get into to render image sequences. Then import the sequence into your edit program (or QT player) and then export as whatever you want.

MaxB
09-30-2004, 02:26 PM
Answer to Toby: I wanted to convert to AVI so that friends could see my animations in the window environment.
Answer to The Eye: the DIVX compressor was suggested also by the tech guy at Newtek Europe. Thanks I will look at the options for the AVI output, hopefully the issue will be sorted out.

Thanks a lot for your replays!
Massimo

The_Eye
09-30-2004, 02:41 PM
QT player for Windows is free. Divx Pro (needed to encode avi as divx) is not.

MaxB
09-30-2004, 02:59 PM
This probably will sound as a stupid question: which type (output files tab) would render image sequences in render options?

LFGabel
09-30-2004, 03:00 PM
I wanted to convert to AVI so that friends could see my animations in the window environment.
There is Quicktime for Windows...

The_Eye
09-30-2004, 03:02 PM
Below Save Animation:

Save RGB, then usually 24bit TGA

MaxB
09-30-2004, 03:22 PM
Yeah, good point, didn't realize QT is also for windows and for free. Still I would not imagine QT to be very popular among windows users.

monovich
09-30-2004, 04:50 PM
QT isn't as universal is WM on PC, but it's got a lot of installed users. People watch movie trailers and use the iTunes store with it.

-s