PDA

View Full Version : Part lines

chemaelizondo
09-29-2004, 11:24 AM
Hi guys
Im trying to add partlines on some of my designs, I believe part lines play a major role (like many other things) in creating a believable object.

Every now and then I see images in the LW galeries that have part lines, and I try to figure out whats the best way to create them.
Just like everything else there is more than one way to get the results.

Im still experimenting with ways to create partlines, but still I have a lot to learn.

I believe some of you have the wisdom I seek:D

So here we go:
Which is your favourite way of creating part lines?
Wich LW tools do you use?

Thanks a lot

JM :)

SplineGod
09-30-2004, 12:52 AM
Im not sure what you mean exactly by part lines. If you mean lines between parts on a model you can do that by modeling thats as parts or using bump maps. :)

Silkrooster
09-30-2004, 09:18 PM
If I remember right awhile back someone started a thread about partlines.
Silk

Matt
10-01-2004, 04:53 AM
Im not sure what you mean exactly by part lines

Part lines / split lines are the breaks in mouldings on consumer goods or shut lines on cars where the doors etc. are.

brtk
10-01-2004, 05:52 AM
Here´s one example on how to make car doors, workflow is from LW75:

http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showpost.php?p=100263&postcount=4

chemaelizondo
10-01-2004, 10:19 AM
Hi brtk,
Thanks for the tutorial that DAZ_Edgebevel tool seems such a great tool!
Im asuming this is a free plug in, but I have'nt been able to find a place to download it from.

Does any one know where the DAZ_Edgebevel can be found?

Cheers

JM :rolleyes:

SplineGod
10-01-2004, 01:43 PM
Nice example brtk! :)
I generally model things the way they are constructed in reality.
When you model something like a car as a single object you have to make sure that particular edges are in just the right places. The flow in one area may not work well in another. Building doors, windows, etc as separate parts makes it easier IMO.

Edge bevel is now part of LW8 I believe. There are other tools that might be able to do the same thing that are still free. :)