PDA

View Full Version : Apple DVD-player screengrab? Anyone?

Ge4-ce
09-29-2004, 09:27 AM
Anyone ever tried to do a screengrab when playing something in the dvd-player? I want to use some material as reference material. Is there a way of surpassing the copyprotection to just take a screengrab of you dvd-movie?

Thanx, any advise would be very welcome!

Ge4-ce
09-29-2004, 09:59 AM
Ok.. I have found it..

Via Versiontracker I downloaded an app called Macgrab.

Unlike Apple Own app screengrab, this app DOES allow to grab just anything, like the dvd playerwindow..

toby
09-29-2004, 02:47 PM
Or play your DVD in VLC (Video LAN Client)

then try a McDLT from McD's

dmg3d
09-29-2004, 05:25 PM
I use DVD Capture:
http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/16324

-Dave

riki
09-30-2004, 05:32 AM
Hey cool thanks for the links.

parm
10-01-2004, 01:16 AM
Thanks very much, I've been trying to do that for years.

Parm

Beamtracer
10-01-2004, 02:51 AM
What naughty boys! Trying to grab images of DVDs!

The reason it's difficult is because Apple's software DVD player "plays nicely" with copyright laws. Apple's DVD player is built deliberately to stop you making screen grabs.

This is not the case with some third party software DVD players, such as the free VLC player, which freely lets you take screen grabs while a movie is playing.

Yeah, I know, you only want to do it for purposes of review. Sure! ;)

riki
10-01-2004, 02:56 AM
Well if it's a copyright issue then they should disable the screenshot function altogether. Why do DVDs get special consideration. The whole region code thing peeves me off.

Ge4-ce
10-01-2004, 03:37 AM
Well.. as a matter of fact, what else can you do with screengrabs from dvds?

The res is too low, and I'm not going to start grabbing frame per frame to copy a movie..

I used it to use the nice mosquitos from a bugs life, as reference material..

ok,.. it is illegal, but heck, so is watching girls in the shower...

riki
10-02-2004, 12:37 AM
Video taping the news on TV to watch when you get home is probably also a copyright infringement in some countries. But then laws vary throughout the world, so while it maybe illegal in the US and here, it maybe perfectly acceptable in other parts. :)

toby
10-02-2004, 03:25 PM
(It's not illegal in the US to tape something that's broadcast) In certain parts of Asia, anything goes - apparently there are businesses that do nothing but copy movies and music for re-sale.

Jimzip
10-05-2004, 06:21 AM
I use Snapz Pro.
http://www.ambrosiasw.com/utilities/snapzprox/

The new version is awesome.. So useful.
Best $30 I ever spent.

Jimzip :D