PDA

View Full Version : Free Training DVD

WilliamVaughan
04-05-2003, 12:31 PM
Swing by our booth at NAB and get a copy!

Thank NewTek and Class on Demand!

Too Cool!

infinity3d
04-05-2003, 01:35 PM
damn i wish i could swing by the booth... I never will get to attend anything like this..:(

Hellbring
04-05-2003, 01:37 PM
the dvd would be nice but the lady would be the reason most people would go :0)

cresshead
04-05-2003, 02:56 PM
drat!..another reason to live in the usa rather than "grey old blighty"...[england, u.k]

steve g:rolleyes:

riki
04-05-2003, 05:37 PM
Mmmm sweet and sexy, the girl is cute too :-)

dark_lotus
04-06-2003, 12:49 AM
what cann i say proton, you guys just rock!

WilliamVaughan
04-06-2003, 01:08 AM
This DVD is loaded with great content......a must have!

kevman3d
04-06-2003, 05:05 AM
You think there would be any way Newtek would even consider shipping one of those DVD's to our LWUG here in New Zealand? :confused:

colkai
04-07-2003, 06:33 AM
What about us UK folks? - I can think of a couple of people who'd be only too keen to get their paws on this, (myself included! :p )
-Colkai

Nicodemus
04-09-2003, 01:28 PM
I will pay shipping and handling on mine.....

~L~

cresshead
04-09-2003, 01:33 PM
it would be a great gestyre if there was some sort of discount for people in europ and the u.k to get a hold of the dvd somehow..

steve g

Elmar Moelzer
04-09-2003, 02:02 PM
Anyone at NAB who wanna grab a copy for me?
sniff, I could not afford going to NAB, people like me should get a free DVD, sniff, sniff...
CU
Elmar

kevman3d
05-14-2003, 11:11 PM
Hey folks!

I see this DVD is now on sale at sharbor.com for $9.99 (The Newtek Sampler Paq DVD) - I think I'd better go and order one before I miss out. (I'm guessing its a limited run of discs?)

Hope its as good as Newtek make out cause the postage to NZ will cost twice as much as the disc (like US$25 - That's why I'm not spending the $34 for the newtek @ NAB dvd!). Sounds good from the description... I also hope its not one of those 'FBI Warning - for personal viewing only' discs? I'm buying it in the hope it can be shown at our LWUG meetings and when I have to demo LightWave to newbies. :)

pixelmonk
05-15-2003, 07:52 AM
Originally posted by kevman3d
You think there would be any way Newtek would even consider shipping one of those DVD's to our LWUG here in New Zealand? :confused:

Ummm and our errrrr LWUG in D.C.!

kevman3d
05-15-2003, 04:19 PM
Ah well, mine has already shipped... (A total cost of US$28.98 with Airpost) :)

BTW, sharbor offer free ground shipping anywhere in the Continental USA - So that makes the $9.99 a pretty good deal I reckon for any US-based LWUG's.

Carbon71
05-15-2003, 05:07 PM
Hey someone give a review if they get one. It says Sampler pack eh? Hmm, me is only into LW though.

kevman3d
05-15-2003, 05:37 PM
Hey, That's a GREAT idea!

I'm also keen mostly on LW stuff, but I bought '[email protected] 2000' years back and found the VT stuff really entertaining as well, so I'll probably find the whole DVD a blast! :)

Surely someone reading this thread has a copy of this disc that they could give us all a good review of it?

Stranahan
05-15-2003, 08:14 PM
I wish I'd seen this thread before...

I do videos for Class on Demand. I'm on the DVD in question.

This DVD was mainly intended for newbies. It's designed to go in the box with LightWave. I'm on it, talking about some basic LightWave stuff, and showing a Toaster demo I do. My hair looks dorky. Dan Ablan is on there, doing some basic stuff. His hair looks just fine. Phil Nelson is on there, and again - it's basic stuff. I refuse to comment on anyone else's hair.

So - it's basic. Is that bad? No...

But please - don't assume that what is on the DVD is the level of complexity shown on the other videos from Class on Demand. We have some great stuff, including Dan's Character set and I have a bunch of good tapes on expressions, SasLite, Spreadsheet, and on and on...

That's kind of my unofficial warning/review. It's a good DVD for new people, or for learning about the VT2 and so on. If you're expecting hot, advanced techniques - look on the other DVDs. I'm not speaking for Class on Demand, nor for anyone's hair.

kevman3d
05-15-2003, 09:13 PM
Thanks Lee!

Cool, a Hairdo review! :) I am really interested in it from a LWUG perspective - I get a LOT of newbies not just at LWUG meetings, but I meet plenty of them through email and at local schools I get invited to come critique at, so this is ideal stuff just on that level.

People here love to see and hear about stuff - Even a sales presentation on LW from a large USA based trade show like NAB would interest everybody. Its pretty much stuff that we don't see here in NZ (so its got that curiosity thing going on) - Though after what it cost for postage on that Newtek DVD, I don't think I'll be purchasing '[email protected]' just for kicks! ;)

I already own probably way too much professional level training material, so its not for my personal educational interest.

However, now you've made me real curious whether it'll be good entertainment value just for the fun of spotting who has the dorkiest looking hair-do's! Narf! Narf! :)

kevman3d
05-23-2003, 01:41 PM
Ok, the DVD arrived this week (not bad - since I only ordered it the week before - USA to NZ - I can always pretty much guarantee sharbor deliveries to arrive about 7 days exactly!)

Let me just say for anyone curious that isn't a newbie - Well, Lee is correct in that this is some serious NEWBIE material.

Lightwave Section
Unless you really didn't know that you could choose colours from LW's own colour picker, or that using antiAliasing makes your render look nicer, or that you can click a button and drag out a ball in modeler... Well, you get the idea! :)

The other stuff
However that said, it is a very nice sampler of all Newteks products for anyone who doesn't own a Toaster, Lightwave or Aura, and just wants a sneek preview.

Did I like it at all?
I found the Toaster and Aura segments interesting out of my complete lack of knowledge on using both products. There was enough basic pointers there to really get anyone started on these products if they were to buy them. (and made me drool and envy anyone with a Toaster!)

Hair dos
As for the Hair-do's, yes, great entertainment value if you are one of those people who can't help but be critical on other peoples appearances! Narf! Narf! :D

Overall
I don't know if anyone really wants to pay money for this - Its not a bad DVD (its nicely put together), but it is very *basic* information and not worth buying if you are already a fairly knowledgeable LW user after some 'extra tips and stuff'.

I would save the $$$ and spend the money on some of the other Class On Demand, or DesktopImages products.

Like Lee said, it is ideally aimed at shoving into product boxes for new users - As a resource for showing NZLWUG newbies, students and other people with no Newtek product knowledge at all, its ideal! So I am glad I have it on hand now (and its the main reason I wanted it anyway!)

Pity couldn't have been at NAB and just scored a free one outta Newtek though! :)