PDA

View Full Version : Chicago LW user group

johnnyh66
09-28-2004, 10:25 AM
Hello Chi Town LW users...:wave:
I think it's about time we banded together and started a user group. I believe it would be very useful and beneficial to all of us. Who knows what could come of it!

If your interested please respond here or pm me.
Thanks,
Johnny

Morgoth
09-28-2004, 12:47 PM
Johnny,

Just read your post about starting a LW group. I would be intrested in joining the group.

Morgoth

johnnyh66
09-28-2004, 01:22 PM
Morgoth, great... I'll keep you posted.
So, far I've gotten a few responses from other boards...
Can I send you e-mail through Newteks Site... many people have that feature blocked.

johnnyh66
09-29-2004, 01:52 PM
ok, I've received responses from a few other boards as well as from here.

My next ? is: What would you like the user group to be?
After some research I've learned there's 2 basic types,
the dinner party approach: drinks, food, discussion.
and the focused meeting: exchange of ideas, speakers, demos.

As of now, I don't know that we (I) could host something big enough for several people to try out new things (demo) w/LW as I only have 1 computer at my apartment (I could get a laptop from work). We would need a lab in order to let everyone work together.

We could share ideas though, and let 1 or 2 people try them out at a time. So for now I think it'll have to be a mix of the 2.

I've got some other ideas too. I was thinking about:
1. Contacting local LW dealers, if we can get them interested... well who knows.
2. Contacting schools, perhaps a lab may become available also students could attend.
in both cases this would be good for them as well as us.
3. We have a LW master in the local suburbs, perhaps he'll be interested: speak, suggestions/ideas... attend a meeting.

I'd really like to see what we can come up with!

John

We need to decide on a standard forum to use... or g-mail, so we can all talk.

GraphXs
09-29-2004, 08:34 PM
My time is limited but I would like to meet other wavers in the chicago area. I need more exposure to the Lightwave community.

---------------------------

GraphX

etobiason
10-22-2004, 05:15 PM
Hi guys.

Johnny, you already PM'd me and I sent you my work email, I'm just responding here to publicly voice my support and subscribe to this thread.

I would be happy to host the first gathering. I work at a photography studio just west of the Loop, so it is centrally located and the studio has a client area with a pool table and so on. Plus some cool places to drink and so on are located nearby.

I think the first meeting should be about what our meetings should be about. We can meet with no agenda, and just get to know each other and get a consensus on what a Chicago User Group could and should accomplish.

That's my 2.

-e

johnnyh66
10-25-2004, 08:01 AM
Hey everyone, sorry I've kinda been out of the loop for the past couple of weeks... but I'm back.
So, yes... Etobiason, I think that's a great idea. I also work in the west loop (across from Wishbone). I was thinking about the first weeks of Nov. for meeting one.
I've been working on a few things/ideas that we can do with the group... directions to go and such. I also agree that we should discuss it though... try to get the most out of it for each of us.
I was planning on sending a group e-mail to everyone that's responded so that we can all say hello, perhaps give a lil' spiel about who we are, what level and so on to each other and see what day works for the most people.
ok, so I'll get on that and hopefully by the end of the day (depending on deadlines) I'll get that first e-mail out.
Thanks.
John

etobiason
10-25-2004, 08:59 AM
Wishbone! I'm right around the corner from there. Small world!

-e

johnnyh66
10-25-2004, 09:10 AM
I'm right on the corner across from the parking lot and Calphalon store.
When you said W.loop I was wondering how close you are.

etobiason
10-25-2004, 06:34 PM
Madison and Aberdeen!

Whit
10-25-2004, 07:16 PM
I'd be interested.

--Whit

johnnyh66
10-26-2004, 09:47 AM
Whit, PM me your e-mail address and I'll put you on the list.

johnnyh66
10-26-2004, 09:48 AM
etobiason, ****... that is close! What's for lunch?

etobiason
12-11-2004, 01:31 PM
Just thought I'd update this link for those subscribed to it to check out the more current one.

http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=30699