PDA

View Full Version : 2year Archtectutre Degree or CAD Diploma ?

tubal_c
04-05-2003, 01:04 PM
Greetings !!
Me and two of my friends started our own graphic pre-visual company. None of us have any formal training. We are all self taught. I'm looking to get myself some form of formal training, for solid foundation and customer relation reasons. I'm stuck in between going for a 2 year Degree in Architecture with CAD classes or a Diploma in Mechanical CAD Design (from Lincoln Tech over in New Jersey USA).
Our target audiance is AEC pre-visual market.
Working full-time and married with children, plus working with the company I'm short on time. I figure the diploma in CAD will be good being that every class is focus on what I will use in the field. Having already done 3 years of college I know I can drift away in non-related courses.
So I'm confused,
tools we use, just incase it will help folks to point me in right direction.
Lightwave 7.5b (PC and Mac)
Radiance
Pov-Ray
Blender
BMRT
Photoshop 7, Illustrator 10
Also Sun and SGI boxes (we are all UNIX folks)
Thanks in advance !!!!

CTRL+X
04-05-2003, 04:24 PM
Doing the same thing here,, I went with a 2 year AAS in CAD. half way through I am able to start with some Arch Viz, when I get done should have the knowledge to viz just about anything, Mech, Civil projects and or Arch.

When done I to will be starting up a Media firm to handle the rendering and multimedia presentations as well as web services and layout for just about anything done in cad for just about any purpose...my thinking was to keep a broad range of services available and to learn it all. I am sure as time moves forward, the areas that are more profitable will determine my focus