PDA

View Full Version : G5 Professional Video-Card

DM67
09-28-2004, 02:28 AM
You know if Quadro video-card will be supported from the G5?
someone already utilization a nVidia Quadro in the mac ? :rolleyes:

mlinde
09-28-2004, 09:57 AM
Based on past experience, I would not expect a Quadro, FireGL, or other "higher" end card to make it to the Mac unless an independent intrepid developer is able to generate firmware and drivers. This topic comes up often, and in the end most of those higher end cards are specific to CAD applications or solid modeling tools. Although the G5 is a potent computer, the segment of users/owners/companies who run CAD on the Mac and would shell out the cash for a Quadro or other "high" end card is either too quiet or too small to justify the expense of developing such a product.

Not that it couldn't happen, but after 6 or 7 years of requesting/petitioning/asking for such products, I don't expect them.

DM67
09-28-2004, 10:26 AM
I hoped in the existence of a program for mac that it can make worker a nVidia FX simulating a Quadro ........ for example SoftQuadro was used in the pc for this purpose :(

DM67
09-28-2004, 10:47 AM
It is incredible that the destiny of the video-card for mac is decided only from the video -games houses.
Now there it is also the entire version of Maya for mac, possible than also this cannot move the interest of these greedy persons?

Perhaps doing a request in union with the Maya mac users ..... :rolleyes:

we could propose the idea :cool:

Ge4-ce
09-29-2004, 04:57 AM
Well, the last few years, Apple is doing more things for 3D on Mac. And the efforts start to work.

First there was Maya for Mac. A great new thing.
Now there is Maya unlimited !

Z-brush
Modo
Renderman
LW 8
Amapi
Vue 5
There are more and more products in the 3D range porting to Mac. That is a good progress.

It helps to establish a market, and who knows.. maybe delelop a graphic card in the 'High-end' range like the quadro's etc.

For now.. nVidia 6800 is the fastest card for the G5. But it's not shipping yet. (I have one on order)

The_Eye
09-30-2004, 08:13 AM
Yeah, mine has been pushed back to possibly ship on 10/21.

Ge4-ce
09-30-2004, 09:42 AM
Yeah! mine as well? Where did you order it?

The_Eye
09-30-2004, 09:50 AM
From Apple. It was supposed to be in my new G5. What an adventure! The G5 gets delayed a few times, then they offer to send it to me with the stock ati card (no extra charge) and then ship the nvidia card a week later, then that offer gets delayed a few weeks, then I get the G5 and when the card is due to ship they email again saying it will instead ship on 10/21. Frustrating.
What's really biting me is I work with 2 monitors and the ati card has dvi and adc, and I have no adc cables! ARGH! Man, I can't stand it! The nvidia card has 2 dvi. I can handle 2 dvi, whenever that day may be.

Ge4-ce
09-30-2004, 09:58 AM
relax.. you HAVE your new G5 allready.

I ordered my dual 2.5 July 1th, and haven't seen a thing that looks like a computer to me..

US and other country's have seen them. Belgium barely has got some.. (I mean 6 or 7 units for an entire country when I mean barely)

It should be here by octobre 22nd.. just as my nvidia card.

I ordered a stock model G5 right from the start because I didn't want the G5 to be delayed by the card. The card I ordered as a standalone thing..

Apple makes good stuff, only their distributing systems sucks bigtime..

The_Eye
09-30-2004, 10:11 AM
Well, I figured it was another case of Apple relying on someone else. First it was Motorola not putting out enough chips, now IBM delayed the 2.5 chip didn't they? On top of that, nvidia is slow getting out this new 6800 for Mac.
The only distributing nonsense I heard of was for those lucky few who got their G5 on the originally promised shipping day and they got 2 by mistake. That made me pretty frustrated that I couldn't get mine yet others got an extra (of course Apple eventually realized the mistake, so no one got a free G5 as far as I know, but I'm sure no one would be broadcasting around that they did if they did).

Still, 128mb with an 8x agp is better then my G4's 64mb 2x agp. It's quite a difference. I can only imagine how the nvidia card will further improve the experience.

Having a computer with a radiator is neat, too.

Ge4-ce
09-30-2004, 11:22 AM
Estimates are that the nVidia 6800 is about 4 times as fast as the 9600 card from ATI.. And here is another surprise for you... It seems that nVidia only designs chips, but it does not make the actual chips. IBM does. So basically IBM has to get the blame.. (again)

Now, I have this story from a guy who knew this was true.. But as so many peeps on the internet tell story's,.. so I don't know 'IF' it's true..

mamurphy
09-30-2004, 07:31 PM
Well, I'll be putting in an order for a 2.5 with the 6800 in a week or so. [work is buying]

Hopefully I can have it before the end of the year. I sure hope it's sooner because I have to work on a Dell until then.

Do you suppose they are building a stockpile of the 6800's so they can ship them out en masse instead of a few at a time?

I sure hope I won't have to wait 4 months after ordering. That's just terrible

Ge4-ce
10-01-2004, 01:42 AM
I have absolutely no idea..

I do think Apple is stockpiling in one way or another. I can't imagine that there hasn't been mad a single 6800 card at this point.

On the other hand, If I were Apple, I would try to get cards out there as soon as possible. especially for those 30" ers..

Maybe Apple also underestimated the demand for the card by people like me. People that not need the card for a 30" display, but just want it for the raw power of the card.

Anyway.. at this point, I believe the 6800 isn't gonna be a spoiler for any longer than november. The G5 is still a bigger problem. They can't keep up with G5 2.5 Ghz production.. if you order soon, you may have it before x-mas.

But you live in US! You'll have it in 3 weeks maybe ;) I'm waiting for 3 months now

Ante
10-17-2004, 11:59 AM
I'm on the run to order a dual 2,5 with a 6800 card, too. Now, would it be better to order via Apple Store (more expensive than the store I wanted to order) or is it the same delivery situation? Is the 6800 nvidia so much faster than the 9800 xt (especially regarding LW performance)?

Thanks

ante

Ge4-ce
10-18-2004, 09:40 AM
For the G5, the 6800 cards are especially for Mac! You cannot buy just any card from any vendor. But if it's the card that has been designed and programmed for the G5, go ahead and buy it.

As for performance. The 6800 ultra is on paper capable of delivering TWICE the performance of a 9800 XT card. It is comparable with ATI's new X800 platinum card. but side by side tests show wins and losses for both cards. (6800 vs X800) but the new cards especially come out better at high resolutions (more than 1200 x...)

The_Eye
10-22-2004, 06:43 AM
on paper....

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/Graphics/mac_6800ultra_review/index3.html

monovich
10-22-2004, 04:19 PM
those are disappointing numbers

Ge4-ce
10-23-2004, 02:32 AM
those are disappointing numbers

Yeah!! This is not what I expected! Totally NOT. So I really hope this is a drivers issue! Otherwise I'm pretty mad about the extra 200 bucks for this card I'm going to pay! (not shipped yet)

BUT rumors go that the 10.3.6 update contains improved drivers for this card. We shall see!

taproot2
10-23-2004, 02:21 PM
Well, I finally got my g5 2.5/6800. I only had to wait 3.5 weeks so I,m not too disappointed. But, and there is always a big but somewhere, the card seems to be infested with bugs. Strange color shifts in windows. Crashes when I close a Hypervoxel viper window, Parts of some menus showing up in other menus when changing menus. I'm holding my breath till I get the machine online and get my OS update from Apple and also the LW 8.1 update. I'm guessing that my problems will clear up after that (keep hope alive). LW on my PC was VERY stable with the current ATI RADEON 9800 drivers and LW 8.1 update. As is, I have yet to see any degree of performace increase with the " new kool " 6800. I should have all the updates later tonight and I will re-post any developments.
Taproot2
www.provinestudios.com

taproot2
10-27-2004, 09:57 PM
[B]G5.OSX.3.5/2gigRam/LW 8.01/and the 6800
Well, I'm still putting the system through some of its routines. I'm new to the Mac G5. I've been running PC's for about 9 years now. My only problems right now with Layout are:
1. I have some strange colors blanking out my viewports, Ill call the color light-red( some might say pink). I can't reproduce at will. I'll keep my eye out for the pattern. A quick click on any view tabs does reset the viewport to proper look.
2. I've been having crashes in Layout after I do a Hypervoxel Viper animation. I can make the animation but when I close Viper I crash. I'm still monitoring this.

Aside from these two issues I can say that the G5 can fly. Next test this weekend will use a huge polygon landscape with WAY too many textures to see how the 6800 can move it around.

taproot2
www.provinestudios.com