PDA

View Full Version : Tutor Vision CDs wanted

Puguglybonehead
09-27-2004, 07:09 PM
I've tried to order some of the old TutorVision CDs from the Event Horizon Studios website but the order form doesn't seem to work anymore, neither does the e-mail contact form.

Does anybody have any of this series of CDs that they'd be willing to part with?

pauland
09-28-2004, 02:00 AM
Try mailing Dave directly: [email protected]

colkai
09-28-2004, 03:36 AM
If Dave doesn't have any copies, (unlikely ;) ), let me know, I have volumes 2 & 3, (I may even have 4 - can't recall).

ChromeCity
09-28-2004, 10:43 AM
I'd like to know if anybody ever received volume 5. I ordered it over 4 years ago as part of a package deal with the others. The few times Dave ever did bother to reply to my emails inquiring about it he just provided excuses about why he had continually missed his stated release dates. :(

Does volume 5 even exist? :confused:

Regards,

Jeff Andrews
Chrome City Studios

GCL
09-28-2004, 11:32 AM
Try the following link,
http://www.tv3d.com/TV3D-Blowout.html
should take you to the page.

:)

DaveWarner
09-28-2004, 08:40 PM
I'd like to know if anybody ever received volume 5. I ordered it over 4 years ago as part of a package deal with the others. The few times Dave ever did bother to reply to my emails inquiring about it he just provided excuses about why he had continually missed his stated release dates. :(

Does volume 5 even exist? :confused:

No, TV3D Volume 5 was never released...if it had been, and you paid for it, then you would have received it.

I've always taken a lot of pride in the material on my CDs, carefully planning each lesson and tightly editing the final video clips so they flow nicely and make sense to the viewer. This level of quality takes a long time to produce and the release schedule for LightWave 6.0, 6.5, and 7.0 made it very difficult to release Volume 5 and ensure that the quality of the product was what I wanted it to be. But that's life and you've already heard my "excuses".

At this point I don't know if Volume 5 ever will be released...I've been overwhelmed with other projects and just haven't had the time to work on a new set of tutorials for a market that's already crowded with other tutorial CDs & videos. If you pre-paid for a copy of TV3D Volume 5 then contact me privately and I'll gladly send you a refund...I made this offer to the dozen or so people who pre-paid for V5 and most of them opted to just wait for it's release.

There were a number of people who were promised a free copy of V5 but obviously I can't ship something that doesn't exist and I can't issue refunds for something that wasn't paid for. Some day I do hope to release a new CD for LightWave users and when that happens I'll send copies to everyone who is due one, but for now all I can offer are apologies for the delays.

If anyone has any questions or comments about the above, then please contact me privately. I don't read these online forums on a regular basis and would have missed this entire thread if someone on the LW3D mailing list ( LW3D YahooGroup (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/lw3d/) ) hadn't brought it to my attention.

My private e-mail address is [email protected]

ChromeCity
09-28-2004, 10:57 PM
Hi Dave,

Sorry if I sound a bit irked, but come on... ...four years and counting... ...you'd be a bit irked too. Excuses are understandable for a certain amount of time - maybe a year, maybe even two, but four? :eek:

You seemed to crank out the first four volumes relevant to version 5.x and then hit a wall with no more volumes pertaining to any version. It's not like NewTek has been entirely speedy putting out new versions lately. I had paid for LW8 nearly a year to the day earlier from when they actually ended up releasing it. And if memory serves, that was after something like 2 years' total development time since the release of LW7.5? That alone seems like a lot of time to me, not even counting the 2 previous years when NewTek's releases were more frequent. Obviously I don't know all the other things you had going on. Still, I really wish you hadn't promised something if you couldn't deliver. If I did that, I'd get fired. :(

Regards,

Jeff Andrews
Chrome City Studios

pauland
09-29-2004, 02:06 AM
Still, I really wish you hadn't promised something if you couldn't deliver

You must be one of the very few here that haven't had some problem at one time or another.

Everybody's circumstances change. Give Dave a break. He's done plenty for the LW community (and still does) and your hassling him over a freebie CD.

What was it about the please contact me privately part of Dave's mail you didn't follow?

Paul

DaveWarner
09-29-2004, 04:55 AM
Hi Dave,
You seemed to crank out the first four volumes relevant to version 5.x and then hit a wall with no more volumes pertaining to any version. It's not like NewTek has been entirely speedy putting out new versions lately. I had paid for LW8 nearly a year to the day earlier from when they actually ended up releasing it. And if memory serves, that was after something like 2 years' total development time since the release of LW7.5? That alone seems like a lot of time to me, not even counting the 2 previous years when NewTek's releases were more frequent. Obviously I don't know all the other things you had going on. Still, I really wish you hadn't promised something if you couldn't deliver. If I did that, I'd get fired. :(

Well, unfortunately, pre-selling products that don't exist yet has been standard operating procedure in the software industry for a long, long time and if there's one thing I've learned from what happened with TV3D Volume 5, it's that I will never accept pre-orders for anything ever again. If I release a new tutorial CD for LightWave, it will be a product that is actually shipping.

The (short) story of what happened with V5 is that when LW6.0 came out, I sat down and learned all the new stuff and put together a bunch of lessons and started recording them. But 6months after 6.0 was released, NewTek came out with LW6.5 and a LOT of stuff changed...by that time I had the new CD almost finished...all the tutorials were recorded and I was editing the footage to clean it up and squeeze it all onto a CD. But enough stuff changed in LW6.5 that I felt a number of tutorials needed to be updated.

At that point, a few big projects came along and I just didn't have time to get the CD updates done quickly enough. Then 6 months after LW6.5, NewTek released LW7.0 and just about everything I had recorded for Volume 5 had become outdated and I was faced with pretty much having to start from scratch with the CD. This is when I stopped accepting pre-orders for TV3D Volume 5..I'd received a grand total of 14 paid pre-orders at that point, each of those at a discounted price of $25.

With 20/20 hindsight, I suppose I should have issued refunds after LW7.0 came out, or better yet, just shipped Volume 5 with the LW6.0/6.5 tutorials and washed my hands of the matter, but I wanted the CD to be really kickass and give people their money's worth, just as I've done with all my products...the thought of restarting the CD from scratch was too painful though and, starting to feel really burnt out on 3D, I temporarily shelved the project. :( At this point, I believe 2 of the 14 paid pre-order customers asked for and received refunds...as I said above, I should have issued refunds to everyone, but I didn't. Sorry.

By the time LW7.5 came out, I was involved with a few non-3D projects and had a lot of "stuff" going on in my personal life. I actually went about a full year without touching LightWave, let alone learning the new features or working on the CD. That's about the time I offered refunds to the remaining 10 or so pre-paid customers...I still had every intention of releasing the CD but just had no idea when it would be ready.

And that's the current status of my plans for TV3D Volume 5. I want to release more LightWave tutorial CDs, but there's at least 1 other excellent set of LW tutorial CDs out there already ( Dan Ablan's 3D Garage (http://www.3dgarage.com) ) and, even if I were ready to produce a new CD, I'd be hesitant to do anything that couldn't somehow compliment what's out there already, as opposed to adding more competition to a miniscule market that's already difficult to make any money in.

I can understand your being "irked" by the fact that TV3D Volume 5 turned out to be vaporware...believe me, I've been there. I have DOZENS of programs I paid significant amounts of money for only to have them abandoned after shaky beta releases or the companies going under.

I can't imagine how many LightWave users have been ripped off for significantly more than $25 from people who disappeared and never made good on the product release or refunds. That's never been the case with TV3D Volume 5. The few people who asked for a refund or accepted my offer of a refund have received it and to this day I still extend that offer to remaining handful of people who paid for Volume 5. I've already apologized repeatedly to the people who were promised a free copy of the CD.

So what else can I do to make you happy...or even just less irked?

ChromeCity
09-29-2004, 09:41 AM
Well I certainly wouldn't call it a freebie CD at this point. The first four cost me $177.00 back in 1999 and the only reason that volume 5 was to be a "freebie" was because volume 4 didn't show up until nearly a year after I had paid for it.

In August of 2000, the announcement was sent out saying volume 5 was only "a month or two!" away. Then when years went by it became much more about the time involved anticipating the CD than any money spent.

Dave, I appreciate your explanation and it's just a sad situation that came to be.

Regards,

Jeff Andrews
Chrome City Studios