PDA

View Full Version : I am the bug god!

TripD
09-27-2004, 02:05 AM
Maybe it's because I didn't follow through with my new year's resolution to cut down on caffeine, but I've been having some trouble with LW 8.01.

First, I have been having some crashes when popping back out of single view mode in modeler (using the keyboard 'zero' key). I just save before attempting it now, but ......arrrrgh all the same.

And today, I have these points I'm trying to merge. Yes, I am working in one and only one layer. The problem is that even though the points to be merged are only 200 microns apart, no matter what setting I use, they don't go together. Anyone else ever experience such a thing? Or have I just slipped into a state of caffeine dillusions? The only thing I can think of is that some of the points are at the vertices of 2 adjoining polys while the others are at a vertice of a single poly. Dunno why any of that should matter though. Bug?

Also, does anyone else notice a slooooow startup of modeler and layout with Windows XP? Man, I never thought I'd actually wanna jump on the linux/unix bandwagon but.......arghhhhh again.

Lastly, not a bug but, I've got a gig and a half of ram and yet 'ctrl alt del' shows a good size page file usage whenever I am layout crunching.

Sorry about the rant.

Traveler
09-27-2004, 02:50 AM
Can't say I have experienced any of the problems you're mentioning. I will check the merging again later today, but I can definitely report a negative on the slowdown your describing. In my case, Modeler's (and Layout too for that matter) startup is very fast. In fact, since I've installed version 8.01, its even become faster. Especially when loading objects. Before the upgrade I was working on a object, using about 30 layers and loading took nearly 10 seconds. But now, I can work on it almost immediately.

Current setup:
3ghz with 1gig ram, winxp sp1

BeeVee
09-27-2004, 03:24 AM
The slow start is probably related to some kind of Firewall protection. If you are using XP, what Service Pack are you using? Have you updated to SP2? If so, the built-in firewall is switched on by default and isn't keen on the fact that LightWave uses TCP/IP to communicate between Layout, Modeler and the Hub. Either turning off the firewall or telling it to ignore LigthWave will dramatically accelerate startup times.

For crashes when switching between full-screen and quad view, what version drivers are you using, on what graphics card?

B

faulknermano
09-27-2004, 03:27 AM
First, I have been having some crashes when popping back out of single view mode in modeler (using the keyboard 'zero' key). I just save before attempting it now, but ......arrrrgh all the same.

i've never had this problem. however, it maybe related to hardware incompatibities, drivers and such.

And today, I have these points I'm trying to merge. Yes, I am working in one and only one layer. The problem is that even though the points to be merged are only 200 microns apart, no matter what setting I use, they don't go together.

first, try a weld command insted of merge. if this doesnt work, it's most likely that you have endomorphs assigned to those points. if so, get rid of the morphs. if not, then i dont know.

Also, does anyone else notice a slooooow startup of modeler and layout with Windows XP? Man, I never thought I'd actually wanna jump on the linux/unix bandwagon but.......arghhhhh again.

how slow? without the hub, mine would start a little under a second. with the hub, about two to three seconds. it could be a lot of mitigating factors, such as processes running in the background as well as the availbility of virtual memory.

Lastly, not a bug but, I've got a gig and a half of ram and yet 'ctrl alt del' shows a good size page file usage whenever I am layout crunching.

i'm not sure if you can manually assign page file limitations..... i know photoshop can do that... hmm...

TripD
09-27-2004, 12:19 PM
faulknermano ,

The minute I read your reply I realised that indeed I do have endomorphs asigned to the offending points......Dhoh. Must stop late night sessions!!!!!

As far as the page file thingy, I had hoped that having a gig and a half of ram would lessen the need for PF usage (to near zero), but I guess I was wrong.
Because of the slow-down that PF usage causes I really had hoped to alleviate it's use.

Yah, the load up time for modeler or layout on my computer can be up to 30 secs.
The only reason I don't reinstall windows at this point is all the dang updates that I would have to reinstall on..... well everything.

Thanks for the quick replys guys. Now, where's my cup of coffee!

BeeVee
09-27-2004, 12:51 PM
You won't have to re-install Windows, just turn off the Firewall... :)

B

zapper1998
09-27-2004, 01:09 PM
I don't know what happened but after I updated XP to sp2, I kept getting a windows installer popup, everytime I started a program any program.

Well I reformated and reloaded xp pro, did all the upgrades then uninstalled all the garbage xp loades in.

Reloaded LW 8 and put all my stuff back in the laptop, WOW what a pain, sometimes I really Hate Microsoft........ :mad:

A whole weekend wasted on reloading, but LW 8 shure runs faster, I like the new render time window on the viper thats cool....... :) :)