PDA

View Full Version : Best method of handling multi-layers in Layout?

Steve Reeves
09-26-2004, 02:10 PM
Hi all,

Hope everyone is well.

Quick, possibly dumb question.

I have an object that will be nearly 20 layers in modeler before I'm through. I have one layer with a single point which I call parent and then I parent all layers to it. (I sometimes do this to a null in layout - but I prefer to have all this parenting done in modeler).

The problem is that despite parenting to one object in one layer, layout insists on showing all of the layers seperately in all drop down lists. 99.9% of the time I will only be selecting the whole object. I do not want to flatten the object either as I often go back and make changes.

Is there a way of making this process easier - i.e. can I get rid of all child items from the drop down boxes in layout?

Appreciate any thoughts - running 7.5d.

Thanks
Steve

Silkrooster
09-26-2004, 07:59 PM
Best thing to do is to hide your other layers before switching to layout. I have found that even if a layer is hidden it may still show on the list if you switched to layout before you hid any layers in modeler.
In 7.5 to get to the layers panel - modeler>windows>Layer Browser Open/Close...
Or press ctrl-F5. Once the layer panel is open you will see an eye icon on the far right. Just click on the layer under this icon. This removes a dot which represents show layer.
Silk

Steve Reeves
09-27-2004, 12:16 PM
Hi Silk,

Thanks for the info. I've just tried this, but what happens is that I can only see the layer that is visible in layout. Also, all of the other layers are listed in the drop down boxes bur using a generic name - 'objectname(2)' and so on.

I was hoping for a way of seeing all of my layers in layout, but only seeing the parent layer in the drop downs.

Maybe LW doesn't do it - quite willing to accept that - but there must be a way that people get around this - surely it would drive people potty if they have to navigate throgh huge long lists to find the parent object!

Maybe it's my workflow - maybe people flatten layers before getting to modeler - keeping a layered version for future adjustments. Problem with this is surfacing - I can't see myslef (or anybody else for that matter) surface a flattened and a layered version of the same object at the same time!

Cheers
Steve

toby
09-27-2004, 12:32 PM
You can surface your layered model and make a flattened copy just before going to layout, or use the scene editor to select objects, with heirarchies collapsed so you only see the parents -

Steve Reeves
09-27-2004, 12:48 PM
Thanks for the reply Toby.

It does seem that LW won't allow me to see all layers of an object in layout whilst keeping the drop downs clean with only parent items on show.

I was just concerned that I was missing the point somewhere and was making life hard for myself!

Thanks again

Steve Reeves
09-27-2004, 04:05 PM
Hi all,

...thanks to Mark Dunakin on another forum I now have a solution. I think it may be similar if not identical to what you guys suggested except that I just didn't get it!! So apologies for that.

So, here is Mark's solution just in case it is useful to anybody else....thanks everybody.

-------
If you have a bunch of layers, then those layers will all show up in the scene.
There isn't any other way Layout can know what you want, unless they are loaded
into the scene.
And flattening the layers will NOT change any sort of surfacing attributes or anything.
If you want to keep things simple as possible, then keep the very first layer as your
"flattened" layer,
and all the rest of the layers as your seperate parts and just add on to those later as
you need to or make whatever changes to THOSE layers.
Then whenever you change things, simply delete the first layer and select all your
other layers and copy and paste them down into the first layer.
This way, when you load you scene for the first time, that will be the ONLY time
you should need to wory about other layers showing up and then just clear those
layers
from your scene and you should be fine after that.
......................md :)
---------------------