PDA

View Full Version : Strange behaviour

Fausto
09-26-2004, 08:53 AM
I have a file that was originally created in LW8 that will now only open in LW7.5D. It's a simple lathed vase with some handles atop a pedestal. In fact, if I launch modeler from layout 8 it launches the version 7.5d modeler not version 8. It seems to work fine, except of course there are some modeling tools in version 8 I'd like to use on this object that aren't accessible with version 7.5.

The behaviour is strange in that LW8 loads the object no problem until it appears in perspective, just as soon as it appears in that window it takes down the whole application. There's no modeler error message, it just vanishes.

Running a dual Athlon, tons, of HD space, a gig of ram, XP Pro, and an ATI 9800 PRO, with version 4.8 Catalyst drivers.

PS, I know I've put this software license up for sale, but until I find a suitable purchaser I intend to continue to use it, it's like it knows.....

pixeltek
09-26-2004, 09:17 AM
I've just struggled with a very odd problem as well, in LW8 only. Modeler would randomly crash on certain files, and it didn't matter whether they were old or new, created under earlier versions LW or under LW8.01 just the day prior.

As long as I reinstalled LW8 each day, all was well. As soon as I shut the computer off, the problem recurred on the next instance of LW use. The NT production team decided that it was the .cfg files. So I searched for .cfg files and found multiple sets in my Docs and Setting folders. Got rid of them and LW Modeler behaved as it should, for three days, until this morning, when the same problem reared its ugly head again. Now smarter, I immediately did a search for .cfg files, deleted every one of them, restarted LW8 and it's working fine once more. Something is intermittently corrupting my .cfgs. Anyway, I can live with this solution. It's better than to uninstall and reinstall LW each day. However, a sw solution would be to have LW at shut-down delete all .cfgs automatically. That would at least solve my problem.

See if you've got something similar going on.

Karl
http://www.cosmic-pearl.com/

Fausto
09-26-2004, 10:19 AM
Thanks for the quick reply,
It seems that this was the cause, only time will tell if this continues to be a problem. What has or is the official scoop on this, are they going to remedy it or what? You would think that this would have cropped up during beta testing!

Thanks for the help!

Karmacop
09-26-2004, 10:46 AM
If you open modeler from layout, or layout from modeler, it'll always use the last used version of the program you opened (with the hub watching). This is then saved into your config file. So, to get the LW8 modeler to open from LW8 layout, just open up LW8's modeler while the hub is running. That should fix it.

pixeltek
09-26-2004, 02:53 PM
Nothing's ever that easy, karmacop. I never open either of them via the hub. I've had too many flaky problems doing that in the past with version 7. I pretty much disregard the hub until both parts of LW are open and I need to transfer data back and forth. But, thanks for the input.

The dev team or tech rep actually sent me some .cfg's to use, and whenever I paste them in, there are absolutely no problems.

I agree, Fausto, there seems to be something real there and not just unique to my computer.

Karl

Fausto
09-26-2004, 07:22 PM
Hi Karl,

I haven't figured it out yet, but it definately seems to be a corrupted cfg file that's at the root of the matter. Do you have FPrime running on your computer? If so, have you seen any bizarre behaviour with that application as well? I have. For some reason, 9 times out of 10, if I take the render window and hit the full screen button, then move from one spot to another on the desktop, layout will crash.

Thanks for the feedback.

Karmacop
09-26-2004, 08:09 PM
But do you model with 7.5 and use LW8 layout while the hub is open at all? Something is seeing your LW7.5 and "updating" your config files for you. Though if you're not using 7.5 or the hub I don't know how it'd do this .. maybe modeler and layout are updating it?

pauland
09-27-2004, 01:00 AM
Perhaps you can save the corrupted config and later compare it with one that works. That way you'd be able to tell Newtek what's being corrupted so they can look into it.

Paul

pixeltek
09-27-2004, 08:32 AM
karmacop

It all started after I deleted (down to the registry level) 7.5 and installed 8. Actually, come to think of it, I installed LW8 on a new HD and have reinstalled my OS since as well.

Even after I use NT's .cfgs, after a few days of operation with LW8, I have to replace my .cfgs again with theirs, because Modeler craps out again.

-----
pauland

No, I haven't, and they didn't ask. They just seemed to know what was wrong and simply offered me theirs to use.

------
Fausto (thread originator)

I should be so lucky, Im an amateur at best, who on rare occasions lucks out to be contacted by someone who want to use a model of mine. No F-Prime here, my friend, nor Sas, nor much of anything Worley makes. He never offers even show specials during Siggraph, much less academic pricing. For a substitute teacher his stuff is too pricey, excellent as it may be. :o

Karl
http://www.cosmic-pearl.com/

Karmacop
09-27-2004, 10:13 AM
Hmm ... interesting. I'd like to have a look at NT's config and your "crapped out" config. Also, what video card/drivers are you using?

Architook
09-27-2004, 11:43 AM
Everyone please remember this tip:

CONFIG FILES ARE NOT COMPATABLE BETWEEN LIGHTWAVE VERSIONS.

This has burned us so many times.
The danger is that (say) a LW 7.0 and LW 7.5 and LW 8.0 config file
are 99% compatable. They're SO close you won't even notice it! But that's why it's deadly. You never think that a mystery crash was from the config file screwup.
Whenever we make a new LW version, even minor version, (like 8.0.1 from 8.0) we make a NEW fresh set of config directories and unique configs for that version and ONLY that version.
I repeat, we make a FRESH new config file, re-add the plugins, re-import our menus. We do not "start" with an old config file!

The "-c" option is your friend. If you aren't starting LW (in Windows) with command line options, you're asking for trouble... And that trouble can take DAYS to debug. Thanks very much to Newtek Tech support about a year ago for teaching us about config file sensitivity.

In Windows, look at your launch shortcut properties. You probably want something like this:

Target:
C:\Newek\LW75c\Programs\lightwav.exe -0 -cC:\Newtek\LW75c\Configs

Notice how that 7.5c is using specific 7.5c config files.
The -0 also runs without the Hub, but that's optional.

I don't know how it works on the Mac, I think there's a special file, not a command line switch.

If I sound shrill about this, it's because of the pain and suffering we had for years until we learned better.. the bugs from bad config files are so subtle and deadly..