PDA

View Full Version : Modeling with Greyscale

riki
04-05-2003, 07:11 AM
I was just looking at this tut by chuck carter and wondering how the process worked, if you could do this in LW. It looks like some kind of modeling process based around a greyscale image.

http://www.chuckcarter.com/process/process.html

ingo
04-05-2003, 08:36 AM
Since, i guess, you cant do displacement mapping modelling in LW its a good idea to use the photoshop cybermesh plugin to generate a 3d file in photoshop, export as dxf and import hopefully into LW modeller and mirror it.

NeilNafus
04-05-2003, 08:45 AM
You could create a high density mesh in modeler ship it over to layout, apply the displacement map then save the transformed object, bring it back to modeler and do whatever else needs to be done to it. That should work fine, I would also recommend making the plane a subpatch object so you can play with the resolution.

-Neil Nafus
http://www.nafii.com/neil

Prosprctor
04-05-2003, 10:01 AM
Ingo....Cybermesh plugin?????

riki
04-05-2003, 04:38 PM
Mmmm I never heard of the Cybermesh plugin but it sounds interesting. Will check it out. I have a copy of Bryce (which he uses) but I must admit I really hate it. Will try your suggestion thanks Neil.

jnjcre8
04-08-2003, 02:17 AM
Here is what i usaully do if I need to model in greyscale I would creat my greyscale image. Then imported into Layout and apply it on a subdivided surface. then I would play with the render subpatch or display subpatch I cant remember right now. Once it looks like I want it I would save transformed object.

and it should model out the object close to what you had in layout.

if you want it double side I would just make sure the edges of the subpatch doesnt get effected by the greyscale image. and last I would mirrior the object in mirror the object so its double sided

I hope this helped....

jnjcre8
04-08-2003, 02:21 AM
I meant the greyscale gets applied to the displacement map.

I hope you can understand the way I make my greyscale image modeling.

ingo
04-08-2003, 02:26 AM
Originally posted by Prosprctor
Ingo....Cybermesh plugin?????

It was developed by John Knoll and is now in the hands of Puffin Systems that is owned by Pinnacle.
Try a websearch on "CyberMesh" and you get some nice examples what it was used for and maybe you found a place to download it. I'm not sure if its free now, but two years ago it costs 300 dollars. Of course it consumes a lot of processor power and RAM.

HTH

ingo

riki
04-08-2003, 02:27 AM
Many thanks I'll give it a burl.

Flashfire|REAL
04-08-2003, 02:08 PM
Why not use TextureScape for Lightwave... it's free and it does what you're looking for... create landscape terrain geometry from an Image Map.

TextureScape (http://amber.rc.arizona.edu/lw/texturescape.html)

Written by Marvin Landis

Cheers!

riki
07-25-2003, 03:38 AM
Thanks Flash will check it out. Does it work with Grayscale images?

richpr
07-25-2003, 04:15 AM
Probably works with "height maps" which are often grayscale images... Used with terrain mapping etc. Not that different from the other types of mapping (spec or bump)...