PDA

View Full Version : Help this Newbie...

allanwhite
09-25-2004, 12:52 PM
Hi,

I could really use some pointers on a GREAT tutorial book / video etc on LW 7.5 / 8 that provides instruction using a task-centric approach. :confused:

Must of the texts I have seen (and bought) contain loads of arcane information but very little how-to examples to get a newbie motivated and started. This makes the learning curve ridiculously steep.

I am well versed on illustrator, photoshop and have a dozen 2D programs, but quite new to 3D. :o

Thanks!

PS: I just downloaded 8.01 update but could not get the NewTek support folks to explain if I should install it onto of my 8.0 version of if I should remove 8.0 first.

bloontz
09-25-2004, 01:25 PM
I thought Dan Ablan's Inside Lightwave books where great for getting started in lightwave. You can install the 8.01 patch over you LW 8 installation. Never a bad idea to back things up before installing though.

Tom Wood
09-25-2004, 01:52 PM
There's also this:

http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave/tutorials/index.html

TW

EmperorPete
09-25-2004, 08:13 PM
I thought Dan Ablan's Inside Lightwave books where great for getting started in lightwave. You can install the 8.01 patch over you LW 8 installation. Never a bad idea to back things up before installing though.
Definitely. Also, it's not a bad idea to back upp your work (objects, scenes, and so on) as well before upgrading, in case you run into problems with the upgraded version. It killed one of my scene files somehow, so I was VERY glad I did...

Silkrooster
09-25-2004, 10:10 PM
I got in the habit of saving my work in a folder that is not attached to the original lightwave folder. I decided this after having ver 7 deleting items in the folder several times.
As far as new books go, start with "Essential Lightwave 3D 7.5" This book is aimed towards newbies. It explains what the settings are in Lightwave. It then goes on with a few tutorials. Version 8.0 of this book is not out yet. But I find that this book is good for explaining some of the features in lightwave. After that I highly recommend that you get Inside lightwave. Version 8.0 of this book goes into more detail and tries to balance between newcomers as well as veterens. Even though ver 8 tell the latest about lightwave. I recently perchased ver 7 of Dan Ablan's inside book. I found that there is a wealth of information in each version of his book. For example ver 7 explains how to model a head using a detail out method (Kind of reversed box modeling). Version 8 explains how to model a head using splines.
So just because a book is not for the lastest version of lightwave does not mean there is nothing of use in that book. Getting some of the older books, not only will increase your knowledge about lightwave and its history, but you will save some money as well. Then when you find a book you like then get a newer version.
When you get ready to learn texturing check out "Lightwave 3D 8 Texturing" by Leigh van der Byl. This book is great to figure out procedurals, gradients, UV Maps etc. One neat tutorial in this book is a hat that gets textured to look like velvet.
I say you can't go wrong with owning too many books about lightwave. Each one of them has some little nugget of information to use.
Silk

faulknermano
09-25-2004, 10:13 PM
I thought Dan Ablan's Inside Lightwave books

i highly recommend ablan's inside lightwave books. very comprehensive in terms of overall lightwave operation.

Steve Reeves
09-26-2004, 02:15 PM
Hi there,

Also worth a look and not too massive is the Visual Quick Start Guides from Peachpit Press. I have one for 7.5 (they may well do v8 now) and this was very useful in terms of getting the basic concepts as it taught the material very much through straight forward examples (with, suprise, suprise - lots of pictures) which made it less of a bind!

Have fun whatever you do!!

Steve