PDA

View Full Version : LW DUO evil bug ?

Bob_I_Ts
04-05-2003, 06:05 AM
i posting thread here because there is no bug's and fix's forum ?
hello i resieve the lw discovery edition few weeks ago
and gradualy learning how to use it
but when i try creating figure/skeleton it freezes my pc leaving only 1 option shutdown by holding in tower button
i beleave this is bug because it can reproduce every time i attach file a screen capture to help explain how it happens

Bob_I_Ts
04-05-2003, 06:08 AM
oops forgot system specs

win 98se
128ram
433mhz celeron
intel i810 chipset

Phil
04-07-2003, 03:54 AM
Originally posted by Bob_I_Ts
oops forgot system specs

win 98se
128ram
433mhz celeron
intel i810 chipset

I'd hate to say it, but Win98SE is far from ideal as a platform for LW and whilst it may have nothing to do with this problem, getting a cheap OEM license of Win2K would see you a lot happier. You'll probably be wanting about double the RAM as well, again it may not be related to this issue, but the combination of OS and RAM is often a significant part of the problem for most people.

I've (unhelpfully for you) not seen LW lock up in this manner when working with Skelegons. Does it occur if you try the same thing with no geometry (i.e. don't load your model and see if the same thing happens)? What else is running on your computer at the same time - does shutting down any/all of the tray applications that tend to appear under Windows help out at all?

Are there any updated video drivers available for your machine? That can sometimes resolve certain LW niggles so you might want to investigate that if none of the above work.

Jim Wainscott
04-07-2003, 05:56 PM
I'm having a similar problem (among many).

I just opened up LW express in VT2 (build 3866) for the first time. It's windows (layout and modeler) are too large for my screen regardless of the resolution. When I attempt to resize the windows the operating system locks up and I have to do a hard shut-down via holding the power button in for 5 seconds.

System config:
Windows 2000 service pack 2
Supermicro P4DC6+
Dual Xeon 2GHZ each
everything else newtek recommends
bought from dealer last September

the whole VT platform is full of bugs, instability, and frequent crashes.

Jim Wainscott
04-08-2003, 06:08 PM
I just figured it out.
I right clicked in the title bar and selected size
I needed to press the arrows more slowly like once every one or two seconds to resize. Resizing the windows was a tediously slow but successful process.

I notice there are 3 refresh rates for the MSI nvidea card GeForce4 MX440:
60, 70, and 75 Hz. Presently set on 60 Hz. Would lightwave prefer a different setting?
Display is set at 1280 X 1024 32 bit true color.

Is my video card set up properly?
Do I need a video card with more RAM?
Is mine defective?
Reload its drivers?
Windows says it is working properly.
Hardware acceleration by default is set at max.

Will play with LW some more and see what else makes it crash.

Bob_I_Ts
04-09-2003, 05:07 AM
thanks for reply of sujesting options to solve the problem i will try them out :) fingers crossed

Jim Wainscott
04-09-2003, 10:12 PM
I just downloaded and installed Nvidia's latest driver.
Version is 43.45 written 3-26-03
www.nvidia.com

This greatly improved the stability Lightwave, CG, and TED. Still have yet to check out the other apps. Everything is snappier, apps load more quickly.

I no longer have to do that bizarre workaround I mentioned earlier.

Stay away from Newtek's LW manual. Full of major errors and the logic is convoluted. Dan Ablan seems to do a much better job at writing books for LW from what I've read so far.

Anyone seen any 3rd party manuals for Aura 2.5 and VT2?

Phil
04-10-2003, 11:01 AM
To be honest, I'm not actually sure what version of LW proper you correspond to. If you're not comparable to the 5.5-5.6 line, you could do worse than investigating the main LW 6.x or 7.x downloads available off NewTek's download pages. They started shipping a PDF copy of the manual and you might find that supplements the hard copy you should have nicely.

As I said, this may actually be of no use to you :)

Jim Wainscott
04-10-2003, 11:23 AM
I am in the stage of just now learning to use lightwave. The version that came with build 3866 is 6.5, lightwave express, not the full version. The version I bought was the one just prior to 3480i. My dealer provided me with a full version of 3866.

Having also version 3.1 of the Amiga based Videotoaster 4000, I can testify that the manuals still have yet to catch up with their software.