PDA

View Full Version : WIP: An apartment kitchen

drvos
04-05-2003, 04:30 AM
Hi folks!

This is my first post here, but I figure this is the next step my adventures in lightwave! I am a student and have been working with 3D for all of 5 weeks. :p

Anyway, this is a WIP of a kitchen scene I am doing for class. I'd really appreciate your input on what I can improve on, or what I am doing okay on. I really would like to make the entire scene more realistic, but am having a tough time pinning down what is "fake" about this render.

http://www.mumbo-jumbo.net/misc/kitchen_render-800x600-lowA.jpg

On my "To Do" list are:
Decide on a better looking backsplash
Tweak what the materials are in the kitchen (still trying to decide on what material that blank white wall will be.
Add task lighting underneath the cabinets and under the stove hood
Add dishes, bowls, cups, etc in the cubbards
Adding detals like cooking utensils, etc...

Well, anway, have at it! Would love questions/comments/and ESPECIALLY SUGGESTIONS!

Thanks!

See below for update

Zarathustra
04-05-2003, 09:08 AM
Well, I think proper lighting would be the biggest improvement. Your models seem ok, except for the fridge. Also, the stove hood texture has repeating squares.
Yeah, I'd say lighting first.

Dave3D
04-05-2003, 11:32 AM
Well modeled, but there doesnt seem to be any shadows. It is just the lighting that is letting it down

Dave

Dete
04-05-2003, 03:36 PM
Hi ! Nice flat... If the floor isnīt made of glass u got too much reflectivity on it I would say... and the cooking fan or whatever its called looks kinda strange with its squared textures..

.: Dete :.

ponder_it
04-05-2003, 03:56 PM
I love the pic. The guys before me have said enough about the lighting, so I will skip that. My suggestion would be, not nearly enough bump maps, weather procedural or image maps. The metal that are in the fridge door and oven can easily be duplicated with the proper adjustements to the Crumple shader. The glass the is in the cabnet doors could use some depth if possible, it just seems really flat for smoked or eched glass. I my opinion the surface on the chairs might be wrong also. This might be due to a lack of bump. Once the lighting is adjusted there should be much inproved. Turn the global illumination down to 0% and start there. Depending on what you want for your render times, add a window somewhere and do a radiosity test. Do at least a 3 bouncer, but remember to turn off raytrace reflections and reaytract transparency, since this is only to test the light. To make the light interesting try not to have the spotlight into the set symetrical at all (angles are good, nice raking effect will do some good). Bump up the intensity on it to about 200% for day and 50%(with blue) for night. If you are having any troubles with the light my favorite reference is old paintings for lighting, the net has many examples.

Later,
Ponder_it

ponder_it
04-05-2003, 04:01 PM
One other thing is that the wood on the cabinet doors has the be re-done in modeler. Select each face and bevel it with and inset of 1mm. This will solve the problem of it looking really soft for wood, or make some serious adjustememts to your smoothing angle to take away that soft look. The wood should appear flat and not puffy.

Later
Ponder_it

drvos
04-06-2003, 05:02 AM
Thanks for all the wonderful suggestions, I really do appreciate it. I will work on posting an updated WIP shortly!

starbase1
04-06-2003, 05:41 AM
How about some micro-bumps to soften reflections on the floor, and possibly worktop? (Somelike like 15% fractal noise 1mm scale).

Some real glass on the cabinet doors would look good too.

Nick

Rory_L
04-06-2003, 11:07 PM
What would make it instantly more realistic would be to bring the camera down to human eye level.

Then, unless this is an industrial or commercial kitchen, I`d suggest ripping out one of the sets of cabinets and replacing it with a window. Domestic kitchens usually have them over the sink, even if they only look out onto the neighbour`s brick wall!

Cheers,

R

PS Where are the cockroaches??

drvos
04-10-2003, 08:31 AM
Hiya folks!

Thanks again for all the constructive criticism. I spent the week redoing the lighting and I must say, the difference is dramatic! Here is a look at what I've done so far:

http://www.mumbo-jumbo.net/misc/kitchen-640x480-lowAA.jpg

So far I have:
Totally reworked the lighting
Lowered the camera to a more realistic height
Resurfaced the floor, counter, and chairs
Resurfaced the tile backsplash
Changed the smoothing angle for the cabinets

On the to do is:
Work on the lighting of the cabinet interiors
Work on the texturing of the chairs
Add task lights to the bottoms of the cabinets
Add details like pots, pans, cooking utensils, etc

A big thanks for all those that took the time relay criticism! Keep it coming!! :D

starbase1
04-10-2003, 12:50 PM
A massive, massive improvement - the modelling was great to start with, now the rest is also seriously good.

Please continue to show us your updates!

Nick

Zarathustra
04-10-2003, 12:59 PM
Hot Damn! That's quite an improvement. Great job.

uh...I still don't like that fridge. Not believable.

starbase1
04-10-2003, 01:10 PM
I think the fridge might look better with a bit more light up that end of the room?

And maybe something on the front, to break up all that smooth white? Like a lightwave fridge magnet?! Or, slightly more subtly, a lightwave cow fridge magnet?!?!

Nick

Zarathustra
04-10-2003, 02:09 PM
Do you have a reference photo for the fridge? I just did a quick Google search and the things that stand out are:
1) lack of door hinge
2) The doors don't come down that far - there's a vent in front under them
3) The doors are narrow on side by sides
4) Handle doesn't usually sit in space like that - there's usually a piece of trim at top and bottom
5) Spacing between doors is tighter

Of course the magnets, menus and drawings attached to it will help.

drvos
04-10-2003, 04:14 PM
Thanks for the continued comments and critiques! Lighting was the major overhaul.... it is amazing how lighting can make or break a scene.

Zarathustra:
You are spot on with the fridge. It needs some re-working. It was my very first model, and is very crude. I don't know if I have the time to totally redo the model, but I think I can tweak it to meet with your approval ;)

starbase1:
Thanks for comments, that end of the room does seem a little dark, I will see if I can do something.

Again, thanks for the attention to detail in your critiques. I wouldn't get any better if all I got in response was "good job!" (even though its nice to hear).

More updates are on the way!

banshee
04-11-2003, 05:16 AM
Great progress on your scene. 5 weeks in LW huh? I was still trying to model a box :rolleyes: not really but... your work is really terrific for the short term you've been 3d'in. Most of the suggestions I thought of are already in your "to do" list so I look forward to the next update. The only immediate issue I see is the floor. Not so much in the "finish" but the texture. If it is hardwood, you need to show the individual pieces better. It looks like there is something of a bump now, but its very faint. They are usually in 2' 4' and 6' lengths (but the widths are the same) and the seams are staggered. It looks as if you have a repeating pattern there. It needs to be more sporadic and the accent strip does not work well (it looks like one and a half strips). It would typically be one width of planking. Ok, enough home improvement for now, nine hours a day of it is already enough for me :)