PDA

View Full Version : surprise! screamernet crashes.

monovich
09-24-2004, 12:52 PM
I usually use Screamernet Controller to control my nodes, which is much better than the LW one, but right now I'm using both at the same time to control two different batch render lists from the same computer.

For some reason the LW controlled CPUs always crash when completing a scene. So if I have three queued in a scene and leave for the night, only one will be done in the morning.

Anyone know why I'm getting these crashes?

marble_sheep
09-24-2004, 02:11 PM
Screamernet always gives me headaches. I use Renderfarm Commander by Bruce Rayne, and it works great, but sometimes my nodes will all start crashing. I tried everything... trashing prefs, rebuilding permissions, reapiring the disk... nothing worked. I ended up having to re-install Lightwave and rebuild my node directories. That fixed it.... which leads me to believe that some plugin or shared library was getting corrupt. I have to re-install LW every couple weeks now just to keep my renderfarm going. Grrrr.....

jdavidbakr
09-24-2004, 03:59 PM
I usually use Screamernet Controller to control my nodes, which is much better than the LW one, but right now I'm using both at the same time to control two different batch render lists from the same computer.

For some reason the LW controlled CPUs always crash when completing a scene. So if I have three queued in a scene and leave for the night, only one will be done in the morning.

Anyone know why I'm getting these crashes?

When you say you are using both at the same time, I'm not sure what you mean... do you have, say, nodes 1, 2, 3 on ScreamerNet Controller and nodes 4, 5, and 6 on LW's controller? Are the command files in the same place for both batches? I could see how if the two controllers share the same command directory that you probably will have major problems; describe a little bit more about how you have it set up.

OTOH, you're experiencing the grief that led me to writing ScreamerNet Controller in the first place :o

monovich
09-24-2004, 04:20 PM
I'm using Screamernet Controller to control 10 network nodes on a very intense render, and then I'm using two local nodes controlled by LW to do a bunch of different smaller renders for compositing. They don't share the same command directory, I split command directories because I knew that'd give me problems. Everything runs great from Screamernet Controller (minus the usual LWSN voodoo), but the two nodes controlled by the Lightwave node controller are very crashy as described. I can't reinstall lightwave all the time, that would be too much downtime. I guess I'll just live with the bugginess.

*sigh*

jdavidbakr
09-24-2004, 05:05 PM
Can you identify when LWSN crashes? Have you checked the spreadsheet plugin? ScreamerNet Controller fixes that, but LW's controller doesn't. I'd be intersted to know what the job and ack files say when the nodes crash (you can open them in a text editor)