PDA

View Full Version : how does LW8's animation tools...

old fashioned d
09-24-2004, 12:02 PM
compare to messiah:animate???

I' wanna start learning animation and was curious what you LW8 animators thoughts on this are.

Thanks for any help!
Dave

bobakabob
09-24-2004, 04:05 PM
Stick with Lightwave - it's a fantastic animation package. Messiah is great also, but I'm still puzzling over why anyone would want to lay out extra spondoolees to leave Layout's intuitive interface. :cool:

In Lightwave the way bones work with character weighmaps is very reliable, the IK is cool and graph editor slick and accessible. If you check out the threads here, Splinegod in particular is always talking up Lightwave's animation capabilities in detail. It's capable of producing some pretty sophisticated rigging and the endomorphs are an indispensible animation tool.

DaveW
09-24-2004, 10:14 PM
LW's tools are okay, and you can definately create excellent animation with it. But Messiah's tools are just so much more refined, all aspects work together so much better than LW, and the feedback is much, much, much faster than LW. I know Larry will probably come in here and say that you can do all sorts of things to speed up LW's feedback, and he's right, but even after jumping through all those hoops it's still not as fast as messiah, and in messiah you don't have to setup all those proxy objects and turn off deformations. When you get to the point that messiah starts to slow down and needs to use proxy objects, then that is a scene that LW will choke and die on no matter what tricks you do. Messiah's workflow is also more streamlined, the app was designed specifically for character animation so the whole process is better than LW. At the pace LW developments has been going the past 4 years, I think it will be a long time before it catches up to messiah.

You're probably better off trying to do your project in LW first, it's quicker if you're doing simple animations. But if you find yourself running into too many problems with slow feedback, expressions are lacking, plugins not cooperating with each other, then you should try out messiah. If you can afford it, there's no reason not to use the best tool for the job.