PDA

View Full Version : anti virus issues

andromeda_girl
09-23-2004, 05:05 PM
does anyone have issues where their anti virus program interferes with LW enough to make it hang or freeze or crash?

i am suspicious of my AV, (hate all AV actually) that it is causing a lot of LW problems.

any comments?
thanks.

Terrificfool
09-23-2004, 05:27 PM
No problem for me, and I use Norton AV 2004. LW 8.0 runs pretty stable, but it does occassionally crash. Nothing too serious usually, though.

Capt Lightwave
09-24-2004, 03:56 AM
If you suspect your AV to be the problem, simply configure your AV to ignore modeler.exe, hub.exe and lightwav.exe....on the other hand, if you've got a firewall, THAT may be the problem. ZoneAlarm used to be a pain in the good ol' butt.

hrgiger
09-24-2004, 05:33 AM
Also, the problem with AV programs is that they are notorious system resource hogs so if your system is mid to lower end, it could affect performance in Lightwave.

mattclary
09-24-2004, 06:51 AM
You can also exclude .lwo and .lws files from being scanned.

andromeda_girl
10-26-2004, 02:50 PM
actually, this is about the most high end machine i ahve ever had the pleasure of using.

the problem itself is that when i try to launch modeler or layout the startup freezes.
it has to be shut down, which creates an error message, and when launched afterwar this, it then starts up fine.

this problem has been consistent ever since i have had my AV program, which otherwise does not affect my applications.

of course, yes, AV programs are nothing but resource hogs, lame *** machines or ultra high end graphics machines or not.

it does not help that the tech support for my Av program is grossly disinterested in helping out, all they ever suggest is a reinstall.

i shall try and see if i can exclude LW from this Av program, however it does not appear to have such a capacity as this.

and oh yes, i have no firewall, but something far more effective than any firewall can hope to be.
an alpha shield shuts tight all your open ports, some 65,000 or so.
this means no worms get through, no hackers.
i have never had such a safe machine. if my alpha shield was also an antivirus box, i'd be overjoyed.

mgrusin
10-27-2004, 10:59 AM
and oh yes, i have no firewall, but something far more effective than any firewall can hope to be.
an alpha shield shuts tight all your open ports, some 65,000 or so.
this means no worms get through, no hackers.
Er... then how did you post to this newsgroup? :confused:
And... why do you need any antivirus system? ;)

-MG.

andromeda_girl
10-27-2004, 11:27 AM
Er... then how did you post to this newsgroup? :confused:
And... why do you need any antivirus system? ;)

-MG.

this is a great question, my coffee almost spurted out my nostrils when i read it.

obviously and by design, this device i use opens only the ports you are using to connect for whatever reason.
during this time, only data coming directly from that particular address can enter, and only while connected.

and it isn't an anti virus unit, it is something to protect from outside threats such as hackers, worms and trojans too, i think.

it hides your ip addfress, so while online no-one even sees you there, so any worm let loose can't know to go on in, nor could it even if it could because the ports are blocked.

if you want to get an idea of just how well this protects you, and how vunerable the average home computer is, go and see for yourself with these free online security tests:

http://www.all-nettools.com/toolbox,net

http://www.securityspace.com/smysecure/basic_index.html

http://www.dslreports.com/scan

http://scan.sygatetech.com/

http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/default.asp?langid=ie&venid=sym

I did these tests when i first installed my alpha shield and was quite plainly blown away by the results.
none of their hacks got through.

ok, back to the original point-

has anyone encountered their AV program causing a freezing up of LW during Lw starting up??
anyone from newtek listening in? any ideas?

mgrusin
10-27-2004, 01:16 PM
I know, I was having some fun with you. Your "alpha shield" meets my definition of a firewall. People can (and should) configure their firewalls to block (or stealth) all ports so that it doesn't look like your computer is there from the outside.

Anyway, the "why do you need an antivirus system" question -is- something to think about.

I have a firewall on my LW workstation, don't run AV software, and and have not had a problem. Years ago I did run NAV, but I got sick of problems like you're having and the ongoing expense. The fine print is that I don't do a lot of internet-related stuff with that machine (no email, only light web and FTP use), and when I do, I practice "safe computing" (basically don't run, or let my machine run, unknown executables. This is largely a web browser and email client issue). Every six months or so I check it with Symantec's (free) web-based AV scan, and run ad-aware/spybot to see if any spyware snuck in. So far nothing has, knock on wood.

A firewall prevents people from taking advantage of remote exploits in the software already on your machine. AV scans against malware that's found a way to get into your machine. I use the former, and count on myself to prevent the latter. Your mileage may vary, and if you can get your AV software to get along with everything else (sorry I don't have any advice for your there ;) ), more power to you. (Note that people who are -really- paranoid about this, don't connect their critical machines to the internet at all.)

Good luck! -MG.

andromeda_girl
10-27-2004, 01:33 PM
i know what you mean.

i went without Av for months simply because I was sick to death of the slowdown and interference with LW it was causing me.
but the fact is, i do have to share files with people in my job, and despite the careful measurers of not being stupid enough to open an unknown file sent through email, ****e happens, and a client might have a corrupt file, and so having AV is unfortunately necessary for me.
going without any internet is always starting to sound like a wonderful idea.

phil lawson
10-27-2004, 03:21 PM
If you have a little old system about the place, you can set it up as the mail server using software such as mdaemon that will scan all incoming and outgoing mail, then route it via IP address to your computer system.

Not the best solution granted...but another option.

Cheers.

:)

andromeda_girl
10-27-2004, 05:01 PM
If you have a little old system about the place, you can set it up as the mail server using software such as mdaemon that will scan all incoming and outgoing mail, then route it via IP address to your computer system.

Not the best solution granted...but another option.

Cheers.

:)

Actually, I use Mailwasher.
I screen all my email from there, and bounce a lot of spam.
it also has a virus database so any viruses found are tagged for deletion and bouncing of the email, it's quite handy.

one computer plus my software was enough investment for me...