PDA

View Full Version : Running multiple copies of LW

noiseboy
09-23-2004, 09:52 AM
you all probably know this already, but there is a very easy way of running multiple copies of LW on OS X, just create a bunch of user accounts, dont bother with pw's (its easier when you have fast switching enabled). Then you can launch LW on each user account, render several scenes at once, even use Fprime on each instance, you do need buckets of memory but its lots of fun. If you keep your preferences out of the user prefs directory then you dont have to set up prefs or each user. I'm sure there's a use for it.

Colin who really is bored today :D

The_Eye
09-24-2004, 09:40 AM
If you have your configs in a separate folder, like in a "Configs" folder, somewhere outside of the preferences folder you can just make duplicates of the Layout app.
Double click each duplicate and you have multiple LWs. No bothering with creating multiple accounts.

Actually, I dont think it really matters where your configs are to do this, but it's a good habit to get into of putting your configs in a better place, like say your LW8 folder, so you know where they are AND you can have no problem running 7.5 and 8.

noiseboy
09-24-2004, 10:00 AM
If you have your configs in a separate folder, like in a "Configs" folder, somewhere outside of the preferences folder you can just make duplicates of the Layout app.
Double click each duplicate and you have multiple LWs. No bothering with creating multiple accounts.

Actually, I dont think it really matters where your configs are to do this, but it's a good habit to get into of putting your configs in a better place, like say your LW8 folder, so you know where they are AND you can have no problem running 7.5 and 8.

I agree you can do that but then I would get confused as to which copy I was running, this way no confusion, not for me anyway.Keepinf the config files with your directory is such a good idea, keeps the whole thing portable.

monovich
09-24-2004, 12:54 PM
I run multiple copies on the same CPU for fprime. You just disable the hub, duplicate the Layout application, and launch them both. works like a charm.

Is this what you are talking about?

-s

The_Eye
09-24-2004, 12:57 PM
Yeah, exactly. I just got off track talking about relocating your configs.

monovich
09-24-2004, 04:36 PM
ah. now THAT I've never done.

I have no idea where my configs live, but they seem happy.

The_Eye
09-24-2004, 04:51 PM
Users>[you]>Library>Preferences

Assuming your harddrive is called "HD",
•Create folder in "Programs" folder within "LightWave 3D 7.5" called "Configs"
•Drag configs from your Preferencs folder to the new Configs folder
•Edit Hub cmdline, LightWave cmdline and Modeler cmdline (Textedit) to...
-c"HD:Applications:LightWave 3D 7.5:Programs:Configs:" -p"HD:Applications:LightWave 3D 7.5:Programs:Configs:"

Not hard.

monovich
09-24-2004, 06:31 PM
is it just better to have them there?

The_Eye
09-24-2004, 10:06 PM
Benefits:
• You know where they are
• You don't have to worry about running different versions and having them overwrite each other's configs
• Makes it a lot easier to port to another computer

I also make duplicates of them. I don't know why, but I experienced problems occasionally with Modeler getting reeeeeal slow. Replacing the config with an older config would always fix the problem.