PDA

View Full Version : Tokyo Metro Station

l. a. akira
09-23-2004, 12:21 AM
Hey guys and gals...
This is a personal project i've been working on recently. For those who have been to or live in Tokyo, this is one of the stations on the Oedo subway line.

C&Cs welcome.

http://www.laakira.com/NakaiEki2.jpg

rafalkurc
09-23-2004, 01:04 AM
Hey guys and gals...
This is a personal project i've been working on recently. For those who have been to or live in Tokyo, this is one of the stations on the Oedo subway line.

C&Cs welcome.

http://www.laakira.com/NakaiEki2.jpg

For me:
- columns too shiny!
- the plate on a left column also too shiny
- dust should be an object
- can't see stairs
- will be nice to see people here, train...
- and the most important! change fonts to normal! ;-)

Looks good. You're going right way.

pauland
09-23-2004, 01:08 AM
Excellent. It would easily pass for a photograph.

Paul

danilo
09-23-2004, 03:16 AM
Is this 3D?
danilo

hrgiger
09-23-2004, 04:09 AM
can we see the wires? Looks great.

riki
09-23-2004, 04:51 AM
Excellent work. The only thing that sticks out for me are the reflected lights in the marble column to the left, the reflections seem too clean, trying adding a bit of noise to break it up a bit.

kristof
09-23-2004, 05:12 AM
The style of this picture reminds me of 'The Matrix'. Very nice!

I don't agree that you should add people to this picture. A desolated metro station always has a special feeling to it.

aversive
09-23-2004, 06:01 AM
I have never been there, but it surely looks like a real place.

mattclary
09-23-2004, 07:05 AM
This is incredibly real looking, I would also like to see a wireframe view.

Even though it looks like a photo, something that sticks out to me (as stated by others) is the very shiny clean marble columns. You have done a great job of making the floor look dirty from years of use, so the columns really stand out. They should also show years of dirt and wear from people brushing past them, little kids touching them with ice-cream covered hands, etc... The signs on the post should not have the same reflective quality as the pillars, at least not in my mind. Right now they give more of an impression of something embedded in the pillar coated and the whole thing coated in plastic.

otacon
09-23-2004, 08:14 AM
Very nice and realistic! Did you render this with frpime or F9? I agree about the columns being too shiny/reflective. Also, you need to brighten the stairs up. Looks like a black hole right now. I would also be interested in seeing your light setup. Great job. :D

l. a. akira
09-23-2004, 08:34 AM
Thanks for the comments guys. :)

hrgiger: I will post wires in a little bit. been a little busy around here but I will as soon as I can.

kristof: thanks. I agree with you. I wanted to go for a desolate looking place. :)

mattclarky: i'll get the wf up asap. As for the columns and the sign reflectivity, this is based on a real place so I tried to make the materials as true to the original as I could. Will also post a ref image at some point.

otacon: thanks. this is a lw render. I used f-prime to dial in the lighting but thats pretty much it. The stairs were actually alot brighter at first but it took away punch from the surrounding materials and overall mood. At one point, I might submit a version with the lighter stairs but right now my machine is tied up rendering an animation. The light setup is nothing special really. Area lights for the flourecent bulbs outside the pillars and the large ring light near the stairs, spots for the spots and point lights to fill in dark areas of the ceiling and upper pillars.

StuManFu
09-23-2004, 10:26 AM
Surely.

Surely!

That is a photograph.

Isn't it?!!

Rion411
09-23-2004, 01:55 PM
Nice. It reminds me of the station in Silent Hill 3, but more realistic.

thekho
09-23-2004, 02:32 PM
Excellent work!!! But i agree with everyone said about too shiny and stair.

Remind me of the ripper's work (his subway).

How long render?

adrian
09-24-2004, 12:47 AM
WOW!!!! Quality work.

Adrian.

rafalkurc
09-24-2004, 02:16 AM
what do you think is it a photo?

aversive
09-24-2004, 03:00 AM
No, that is not a photo. I've seen more images of this guy. He's Belgian, and he's an animator too. You should check out his profile here on Newtek. It's one of the new ones.

StuManFu
09-24-2004, 03:18 AM
I'm well aware of The Rippers work. Still stands up as an amazing image, even after all these years.

I had a look at Akira's image on my monitor at home and I could begin to see some subtle cloes that it was CG. Mostly that there is no flaring on the reflection of the lights in the pillar.

But still, it remains to be a very good piece of work.

Nice one!

Stu

rafalkurc
09-24-2004, 03:25 AM
No, that is not a photo. I've seen more images of this guy. He's Belgian, and he's an animator too. You should check out his profile here on Newtek. It's one of the new ones.

I know that this is not mnie. You thought that I put it here as mine? :))))
This is a sample for this Japan guy to see how it should looks like.

Best R

StuManFu
09-24-2004, 03:27 AM
Sorry. Just re-read my post. I wasn't alluding to you claiming it as your own. But I could see how it might look like this.

Peace :)

Stu

miso popovic
09-24-2004, 03:30 AM
insanely good man!

Jake
09-24-2004, 07:02 AM
Great work! As for the shine on the columns, I lived in Japan for 4 years and a lot of the columns actually DO look like that. It doesn't look strange to me.

rexnoctu
09-24-2004, 08:55 AM
Looks absolutly fabulous! The only suggestion I would make is to make the relfection on the pillars and sign slightly different, maybe make the sign reflect a little less than the pilar. Just a though, anyway it looks incredable.

aversive
09-24-2004, 10:48 AM
I know that this is not mnie. You thought that I put it here as mine? :))))
This is a sample for this Japan guy to see how it should looks like.

Best R

hehe- Nope, but I was just saying who the person was that made it. ;) I kind of made a mistake too. He's French, but lives in Belgium for his work. Here is an interview with the guy- Jacques Defontaine (http://www.newtek-europe.com/uk/community/lightwave/defontaine/1.html)

thekho
09-24-2004, 11:13 AM
The Ripper aka Jacques Defontaine :)

Matt
09-24-2004, 12:39 PM
OMG!!! Very good work l. a. akira! Everytime I see work this good I just wanna know more about how the lighting was achieved (I know you've said already but could you add some more details?)

How long did it take to render?

- - -

BTW: I can vouch for the shiney pillars too! That's what they look like!

oblivionblack
09-24-2004, 03:23 PM
magnificent work!!really, I think the photorealism is at a very high level here!!
I see that in the yellow sign in the foreground the light reflection is quite distorted..I guess it's intentional, that effect often happens on that signs.. how did you do that?? :rolleyes:

bobakabob
09-24-2004, 03:57 PM
:cool: Totally fabulous work... beautiful! If you have time, do share some of your lighting expertise. The signs are fantastic.

monovich
09-24-2004, 04:41 PM
awesome. I stared at it for a long time. It really does look like a picture - a shiny picture, but a picture none the less.

-s

lardbros
09-25-2004, 10:39 AM
I kinda disagree with most of you about the marble and signs... japan always looks pristine to me so the cleanliness i can well believe!! Only comment i have is about the stairs, only needs brightening EVERSO SLIGHTLY!! Brilliant... want to see more too!!

As everyone else is, i am HIGHLY interested in the intricate details of the lighting setup... wanna know ur radiosity settings too (if any) and the reflections settings for the pillars!!

Great :D

veljko
09-26-2004, 04:48 AM
i also think the reflection is just fine- I noticed that people often dont realise how reflective or shiny really things ARE in real life.

i give this image a thumbs up!
great work- inspiring!

Floodguy
09-26-2004, 08:42 PM
Hi,

great work!
But actually, this station is not that dirty at all and even not that dark
too! All Oedo stations, their railways and tunnels are very well lighted
with lots of lights compared with the other older metro lines. That's why their
signs are all so shiny and bright.

:)

l. a. akira
09-26-2004, 09:51 PM
Thanks for the comments, guys! :)

heres the lighting setup...

An Area light in the ring light near the stairs as well as Area Lights strecthced into the shape of the flourecents. Shadow Mapped spots for the spot lights and the rest of the illumination comes from point lights placed halfway between the floor and ceiling. The Floor layer is excluded from these lights.

Floodguy: This image is based on reference I took at tochoumae station 2 months ago. You are 100% correct about the dirt but I think the intensities are close other than the stairs. Maybe you were thrown off by the sign on the wall that says "Nakai" which is actually a few stops down, is alot brighter and has an all together different design. Where in Tokyo do you live, btw? I used to live in Arayakushi-Mae off the Seibu Shinjuku line.

JVitale
09-27-2004, 01:23 AM
Wow...Brings back memories...I only noticed the shiny column when everyone else mentioned it, but they do look like this...I have visited Japan before and have a lot of family in Kawasaki (Keihin line, since we are referencing train lines)

Akira since you are now in LA come and visit us sometime..

StuManFu
09-27-2004, 02:34 AM
Yes I don't think there is anything wrong with the intensity of the refelction. I think the only thing odd about it is there is no flaring on it. Other than that I can't fault the image.

Please, please, please can we have a wireframe. :)

Stu

monovich
09-27-2004, 10:14 AM
I guess the only thing that strikes me weird about the shiny column is that the paper(?) sign on it looks dirty at the bottom, but appears equally shiny to the column. Would it be?

but still, it's an awesome render with great modeling, texturing, and lighting.

cool.

Floodguy
09-27-2004, 11:19 AM
Hi Akira,

I live more in the center of Tokyo, in Higashinakanobu near Gotanda (Shinagawa-ku). Ohh, could be! So you changed the station name plates!
The japanese people have become a little bit careless about their waste, if you look around the streets and parks, you know what I mean, but their train stations are still cleaner as clean. Even with that volcano dust coming over here the last few weeks.

Any planes to come back to Tokyo?

Joerg
:)

zapper1998
09-27-2004, 01:23 PM
Totally awesome work, awesome yes it is :D

etobiason
09-28-2004, 04:17 PM
Sugoi! Makes me wish I had a cup of saké...

-e