PDA

View Full Version : Perfect Sphere

luka
04-05-2003, 12:01 AM
Hi All
I seem to recall a plugin that made a perfect sphere. does anybody else have any recollection of this or did I just matrix that. The problem with the default sphere is there are tri polys on the two poles and always makes two ends bigger.
I need another way to create a perfect sphere with quad polys all over it that would be perfect. I have tried to create that manually but failed horribly.

cheers
:D

Darth Mole
04-05-2003, 03:14 AM
To make a perfect sphere, make a Ball as usual, but in the numeric panel select Tesselation - then sub-patch it and freeze.

If it's too poly-heavy, you can always qemLOSS it a couple of times, and you'll still get a very smooth sphere.

If you really need a sphere made of quads, create a ball at 0,0,0 and place it in the background. In a new layer, make a disc the same diameter, also positioned at 0,0,0. Bevel it, using the grid and the edge of the sphere as a guideline. Then just keep bevelling until the polys all join up at the top. Weld these points together and then mirror the disc - Bingo! One quad sphere (although the top ring of poly have to be tris, naturally).

To alter ther size of the quads, you'll need to change the number of divisions in the disc, and the size of your grid.

Doing it by hand may sound painful, but it just took me less than a minute to do!

luka
04-05-2003, 11:46 PM
I tried your 2nd idea but ended up with the same result as the standard ball shape tris on the end. I will keep looking for the solution. If I find the plug I will post it here thanks anyway

Darth Mole
04-06-2003, 03:34 AM
Why do you need quads all over?

Also, is it possible to do this? I can't see how you could make a sphere without using tris at some point. Eventually the lines of construction have to meet up at a single point, so you'll always have tris...

I think.

luka
04-06-2003, 08:14 PM
HI Darth
Well it's just that I am currently finding myself using the sphere object as a basis for some characters that I am prototyping and always find myself deleting the tri at the poles either because of the model or because when you subpath it it goes all screwy at render time. Plus I like to question eveything that I do and see if it can be done a different or simpler way.

kite
04-07-2003, 05:17 AM
Gee, this quad globe thing made me miss my class :)

Wonderful problem, I started with a 2m cube (1x6).
Subdiveded it to 4x6, and then rotate and started to move in the points to radius 1m.
Gives me this:
(guess you can script to do it with realy hi-poly cubes?)

LFGabel
04-07-2003, 05:30 AM
1 - create a box at 0,0,0
2 - hit tab
3 - freeze
4 - repeat2 & 3 if you want a higher density mesh
5 - run the Spherize script.

-Lee

wizlon
04-07-2003, 08:49 AM
Very nice ifgabel, simple yet very effective.

luka
04-07-2003, 09:31 AM
Hey thanks for the input. I did it, after two days of thinking I created it manually. Still needs a few tweaks but in essence that is the quad sphere. I just have to work out how to create it parametrically.

luka
04-07-2003, 09:41 AM
Hey Ifgabel.
Your the star I just realised you created it parametrically. well done.:) :) :)

LFGabel
04-07-2003, 03:51 PM
It is useful to know how to do this the hard way.

:)

-Lee

luka
04-09-2003, 08:43 AM
Hey If you are interested here is the link to see what kind of direction I am headed with the quad shpere.
My QuadSphere Wip (http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3021)
Once again. Thankyou people I really appreciated your help.