PDA

View Full Version : Env: Snow Lodge

oblivionblack
09-22-2004, 10:40 AM
my little snow cabin is finished finally :)
wip thread here: http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=28305
C&C welcome!

adrian
09-22-2004, 11:56 AM
I like it. One thing I meant to ask you in the WIP forum, how did you make the snow?

Adrian.

veljko
09-22-2004, 12:50 PM
it looks cool to me except one thing:)
the wood texture is a bit to bumpy/specular- i think you should tone it down a bit- make it softer
the atmosphere is totaly cool and the trees are spot on!

:)
hope this helps!

oblivionblack
09-22-2004, 02:33 PM
thanks,
adrian: the snow is very very simple :) yet the best looking among other more complicated ones I've tried. just pick up a bluish color, then put a white "incidence angle" gradient and make it transparent at the bottom. diffuse is 60% but it may depend on your light settings, on the bump there is a small scale (500mm) turbolence procedural, just make sure to boost the frequencies to 20. that's all!

veljko: the wood texture isn't specular at all :) I think you are referring to a slope gradient I've used to simulate a the snow that accumulates between the boards.
in the postprocessing they becomed more whitish then the original rendering though
:o

otacon
09-22-2004, 03:08 PM
Looks cool. I like the frost in the windows, nice touch. :)

monovich
09-22-2004, 03:29 PM
very nice! I agree that the wood is a bit crispy, but it looks great overall. I might try that snow texture. I've been working on a snow project that is very similar, but mine isn't quite as good looking as yours.

what does turning up the frequencies do, exactly?

oblivionblack
09-22-2004, 03:53 PM
what does turning up the frequencies do, exactly

it increases the complexity of the pattern thus the "sharpness" of the bump. if you try with less frequencies you'll have a more smoothed, less detailed result.
(sorry I can't explain it better, if you do a quick test you'll figure out immediately what I'm trying to say :) )

monovich
09-22-2004, 03:57 PM
got it.

thanks!

Stooch
09-22-2004, 04:49 PM
its pretty good, although i must say, the realism is being totally killed by the perfectly straight wood beams. You need to make them more gnarly and distorted. Add soem grain and knots in the wood. they are too perfect right now and kill the otherwise realistic texture treatment.

another thing, you set your bump value too high, its a common mistake that kills otherwise good texturing. also i think the bump texture in general is too big, judging from the distance to the house, those gashes and surface features must be huge.

if you look at a real log cabin, you will find wood that is almost smooth to the touch (usually you debark logs in a log cabin) and the surface is derived mostly from grain coloration rather then bumps.

oblivionblack
09-22-2004, 05:41 PM
thanks stooch, good point about the straight beams! :)
I dont know about the strong bump.. I wanted that rough bumpy look, I thought that seasoned barks like those after a while begins to have cracks and gashes everywhere..
hope to have the time to fix things.. :rolleyes: that ****ed radiosity takes too much! :)

shaol
09-22-2004, 08:01 PM
did you use a gradient on the ice...

adrian
09-23-2004, 02:55 AM
Shaol,

There's a detailed explanation of how he did the icicles in the thread of the same name in the WIP forum, although in short: surf-mixer.

Adrian.

oblivionblack
09-23-2004, 04:39 AM
yes a gradient plus surf mixer, refer to the wip thread for the explanation.

starbase1
09-23-2004, 05:28 AM
Very Very good!

A couple of minor points - the bottom log on the left appears to be aboceve the snow level slightly.

Also the icicles look a little too clear in the refracted bits - I would expect ice to give a rougher look.

Nick

oblivionblack
09-23-2004, 01:37 PM
thanks guys! :) here is another pov