PDA

View Full Version : New Nasty Bug in 8.0.1?

anieves
09-22-2004, 10:31 AM
I'm working on a project that was done originally in LW7.5c
Now when I open a scene and try to change the active checkmark to inactive and the display level to hidden on an object LW crashes but not only that but completely obliterate the scene file! There is nothing, zero, zip, nada, 0kb in the file. Tried this several times with the same result. Has anybody else experienced this? This is a real nasty one.

-edit-
if I do this in the "Classic Scene Editor" the problem doesn't replicate.

stib
09-22-2004, 10:16 PM
Are you working on a mac? there was a bug that would destroy your scene files if you opened them with the finder (eg double clicking the icon of the scene file), the workaround is to open the scene file only within Lightwave. See the mac thread for more about this one.

I'm not sure if they've fixed it in 8.0.1.

Hervé
09-22-2004, 11:18 PM
... well, what you should be aware of ... is that LW loves to do that... (it started with version 6...) just when you thought you were safe ..... BOOOOOMM !!! it happend to me more than once ! the first time, I was surprised ( and so pissed...)! With LW you really have to back-up everything every hour... really... it is a little cannibalism... :D

anieves
09-23-2004, 06:27 AM
well, I'm not currently working on a Mac but I have in the past. I've been using LW since 5.5 and never ever seen this before. Thankfully we do have back ups but still is messed up when you are going to save your work and BAM! everything is lost not only the last changes.

I'm using the classic SE for this job and that seem to help.

JML
09-23-2004, 06:41 AM
it never happened to me but
you should save a lot and not over the same file..
for example you could save your scene like that,
yourporjects001.lws
yourporjects002_lightingchanged.lws
yourporjects003_heavyobjectsadded.lws

I'm not saying to save on different file each time you save, but
everytime you made a big change in your scene..
a lws file is so small, why not do that..

anieves
09-26-2004, 03:13 PM
it never happened to me but
you should save a lot and not over the same file..
for example you could save your scene like that,
yourporjects001.lws
yourporjects002_lightingchanged.lws
yourporjects003_heavyobjectsadded.lws

I'm not saying to save on different file each time you save, but
everytime you made a big change in your scene..
a lws file is so small, why not do that..

because it happens during the save operation.... doesn't matter which one, save as, save, save incremental.... same result.

tonyg
09-26-2004, 04:46 PM
Mmmm, but the Shift-S incremental thing does help.

LW 8.01 eats older scenes -- I had to remove it from my system, 'cause it would not render without crashing a scene I had made in LW 8.0. Even if I opened and dsaved, or tripped around in a text editor deleting un needed stuff, it was unfiaxable. I went back to 8.0 and everything is fine.

Don't know what to tell you to help with your trashed scene file though...

anieves
09-27-2004, 07:21 AM
hey tonyg,

to temporarily fix the problem I'm using the "classic scene editor" that seems to work ok so far...

tonyg
09-27-2004, 07:57 AM
Goo dnews!

Someone said that removing references to the new scene editor / spreadsheet from the scene file could also reduce crashing when screamer rendering...

brap
09-27-2004, 09:28 AM

LW 8.01 eats older scenes -- I had to remove it from my system, 'cause it would not render without crashing a scene I had made in LW 8.0. Even if I opened and dsaved, or tripped around in a text editor deleting un needed stuff, it was unfiaxable. I went back to 8.0 and everything is fine.

Finished up a project, and was about to install 8.01, but this sounds pretty scarry. Can anyone else confirm this?

EmperorPete
09-27-2004, 10:26 PM

*nods* I had that problem with an 8.0 scene file too. Thing is, it made the scene file unusable with 8.0 as well. I was VERY glad I backed up all my objects and scenes before upgrading, just in case I ran into problems, so I didn't lose much work.

brap
09-28-2004, 08:43 AM
*nods* I had that problem with an 8.0 scene file too. Thing is, it made the scene file unusable with 8.0 as well. I was VERY glad I backed up all my objects and scenes before upgrading, just in case I ran into problems, so I didn't lose much work.

I'm curious, were you using the new Scene Editor in these projects? The only reproducible scene corrupting in 8.0 I've seen has been when using it.

EmperorPete
09-28-2004, 09:33 AM
Nope, only the "classic" scene editor. I was in the middle of a commission, and went with what I already knew, as I didn't have the time to look at the new version.