PDA

View Full Version : The Saslite Flicker

lord
09-22-2004, 02:13 AM
Hey all,

Having a problem with rendering animation with SaSlite.
The rendered sequence flickers quite a bit when played back.
I assume this has something to do with anti aliasing.

I'm also assuming that SAS ignores Lightwaves internal antialiasing, applying it's own?

I've set the hair to be self shadowing, using LW Shadow Spots.

I've turned Antialiasing up to 2 (as far as it goes)

and turned off One-Pass antialiasing mode.

Render Backside fibres is set to 30.0%

Receive Lightwave Shadows is turned off.

Self Shadowing is turned on.

I've tried using Raytraced Shadows, and Shadow Maps, (Shadow Map Size set to 2048 and Shadow Fuzziness set to 2.0)

I've tried lowering the antialiasing. Turning LW's antialiasing off altogether.
I've also tried doubling the render resolution and scaling it down in aftereffects, and bluring it ever so slightly.

Shadow Noise reduction.

I've even tried using Softfilter in LW.

Any suggestions? There must be an answer.

If anyone who's used both Saslite and Sasquatch knows, is this a problem that purchasing Sasquatch might fix?

It's very frustrating. :(

I could really use some help with it.

Cheers,

Johnnyx
10-14-2004, 11:56 AM
..just got exactly the same result using shadow map spots ... could this be the problem....?? Will render again Ray Trace and see if it fixes... only problem... I wanted soft edged shadows......

ThriJ
10-17-2004, 09:19 PM
I have had the same problem with sas-lite, but I fixed it by turning off adaptive sampling.

As a matter of fact I get that flicker with any thing that is small like hairs, micro textures and one point polygons.

Adaptive sampling saves you from alot of rendering time but when you got small stuff that likes to flicker then your only choice is to turn it off or adjust its threshold to minimize the effect.