PDA

View Full Version : Shadow Opacity?

ACLOBO
09-22-2004, 12:25 AM
Hello all..

I have been tinkering with a landscape fly-through lately. Just a few minutes ago I used a luxigon'ed sphere to bring in a point light array that casts some pretty nice shadows. The only thing that is a problem is that the shadows are way dark. Is there a way to control shadow opacity in Lightwave or would a better approach me to do an shadow pass (is it called occlusion)?

If I shadow pass is necessary, does lightwave have a shadow buffer? I am pretty sure it does, but have never messed around with the buffers much. I was having fun lighting and doing backdrop radiosity in Fprime - so, I was thinking that I could just tinker my way out of the ultra dark shadows.... Any suggestions?

-Adrian

ps. Here is image

SplineGod
09-22-2004, 01:17 AM
Add some other environment lighting and use that to cast some light into the shadow areas. You would do this to simulate radiosity lighting coming from the sky and landscape.

Exception
09-22-2004, 03:18 AM
Yes or use *shrug* ambient.

SplineGod
09-22-2004, 03:45 AM
I would not use ambient. Unless you are using it in conjunction with Radiosity it basically acts a brightness control. Use standard lighting to get what you need. :)

Carbon71
09-22-2004, 10:34 AM
You can also change the shadow color. To make it lighter, change it from black to more grey. Also I would make the shadow somewhat blue tinted becuase thats the color the ambient light would be.

Carbon

ACLOBO
09-22-2004, 02:54 PM
Yeah, thanks for the response all. After I posted it, I hit myself in the head as the solution is pretty easy - just add some fills - perhaps an array of points above the landscape to light from above (with shadows off).

Sometimes, when it is late and I have been having fun with Fprime, I get a little tunnel vision and forget about the basics. Thanks all.

-Adrian