PDA

View Full Version : Fing FINALLY! R2 is BLUE!!!

jin choung
09-21-2004, 11:57 PM
he finally got the technology that he needed so that over two iterations, r2 is fing blue in motherfing space!

the new scene with vader talking with the emperor in empire looks like [email protected]#. videogame fmv sh#$ looks better than that.... a high school student's after effects project?

started with empire but am desperate to see if they finally fixed obiwan's saber losing gas and evidently shorting out while parrying vader for the second and third times in the first movie.

this may have been lucas's vision and we may be seeing it the way 'he always intended it to be seen' but he doesn't give enough credence or credit to the role serendipity, necessity and limitations can have in saving or making the [email protected]# of a mediocre artist.

in entertainment weekly, he brags about how he can make movies cheaply and that he won't give cinematographers a million to shoot a movie... WHO THE F is he saving that money for?! he's made his fortune... he's got his chillun and his chillun's chillun and his chillun's chillun's chillun covered for the thermodynamic duration of the known cosmos.

fing spread it around!

geez. wtf is wrong with the guy....

jin

jin choung
09-22-2004, 12:03 AM
they used to be thinner, more hot, less diffused glow around and a bit tapered....

episode 1 and 2 lightsabers are kinda like glowy bats. cylinders with no taper at all....

jin

jin choung
09-22-2004, 01:32 AM
un-fing believable....

while they're making their getaway from bespin, ilm made brand new footage of vader getting serviced by imperial valet....

W T F?!?!

how did vader getting on his shuttle, riding in his shuttle, getting to his star destroyer (the executor) ADD ANYTHING AT ALL OF SUBSTANCE TO THE STORY?!?!

they specifically teach film students to excise things irrelevant to the story like the hero checking for clean underwear, the distance from his car in the car park to the mall, taking an imperial dump, etc.... CUT TO THE Fing CHASE actually has a meaning!

dude, seriously, gl is going insane....

jin

Matt
09-22-2004, 03:35 AM
"dude, seriously, gl is going insane.... "

and he's starting to resemble Chewey!

mattclary
09-22-2004, 05:00 AM
This is probably old news to most, but I just read the Lucas went to school for photography and design or some such, which seems to reflect in his movies. They look good (except the baseball bat light-sabres), and other than getting lucky with the first 3 movies, he pretty much sucks at making good stories.

In Entertainment Weekly, he also claims Han ALWAYS shot second, and it was some kind of editing mistake. I call bullsh*t. Han's character was originally a lot seedier than what he evolved into, plus Greedo WAS planning to smoke him. Lucas gives us no credit for being smart enough to gather that from the dialog.

Nemoid
09-22-2004, 06:04 AM
I don't like Lucas philosophy to do endless tweaks to movies wich ended to be really good with the aid of his great collaborators : The directors of chapter V and VI , Phil Tippett, Frank Oz, Mc Quarrie, John Dykstra and the many many other young and full of ideas creators of SW universe, and ILM team wich i personally thank much more than Lucas himself.

He had to give us the original trilogy, remastered and polished from the effects of the time. No other.

Jeez, Lucas didn't truely direct a movie for 20 years after chapter IV. Now he ruined his own work and that of his own original collaborators at the time.

Is this a director ?

TSpyrison
09-22-2004, 07:45 AM
And Han STILL doesn't shoot first.
Its closer, but he's still not First

Chris McDonell
09-22-2004, 07:46 AM
There is another (http://www.penny-arcade.com/view.php3) (who feels as you do...) :p

Earl
09-22-2004, 10:54 AM
I really actually despise George Lucas. And although I truly loved the original Star Wars (and used to watch them near weekly!), I'm doing my best to forget they ever existed. The versions he's released on DVD basically say to me that he has no interest in movies at all, and that he doesn't understand that classics are great because of their successes AND their flaws. Re-working these movies only cheapens them to no end. I know this is a terrible thing to say, but I'll be overjoyed the day Lucas...uh, kicks the bucket. Perhaps then the Star Wars franchise has a chance to fall into the right hands (and be released in the original unedited theatrical versions).

TSpyrison
09-22-2004, 11:10 AM
George Lucas is overrated
I think he got lucky with the original trilogy..

But if you look at his movies..

THX, was kinda weird..
American Graffiti was so-so

The original star wars, he got lucky..

The recent star wars.. Its like he’s more concerned with an effects movie rather than a good story.. His “love story” lines in episode two (when they are in front of the fireplace) made me want to gag.. Honestly.. who says that crap?

Perhaps that’s why he seems to need to constantly tinker with his older movies..
You suppose we’ll see a remixed American Graffiti with all new effects?

But still, I'll always love the original Star Wars.. I remember seeing them in the theater when i was 8

dwburman
09-22-2004, 02:18 PM
well, at least while they were "fixing things" they got the contrast inside the ships to match the space outside the ships. The insides always looked too washed out camparatively IMHO. Of course, if they weren't fixing things they could've left them the same.

Overall though the picture quality seemed pretty good but that's mostly a DVD vs VHS thing I'm sure. Even with the revisions they are still more enjoyable than the prequels :)

cresshead
09-22-2004, 02:59 PM
well....there okay..i still think the empire strikes back is the best so far...one that GL did not direct i believe.

is there "hope" for the 6th film?

i'd like to think so

harlan
09-22-2004, 03:04 PM
well....there okay..i still think the empire strikes back is the best so far...one that GL did not direct i believe.

is there "hope" for the 6th film?

i'd like to think so

The only "hope" for the next film, in my opinion, is another oportunity to look at the beautiful Natalie Portman for a couple hours.

Lucas is a sh!t director, and he should have turned the reins over to someone with talent on the prequels imo.

Zach
09-22-2004, 05:24 PM
IMHO, Lucas crapped all over jedi. granted, he did a lot of this crapping for the vhs special release, but I didn't own that one. What's up with the whole sy snoodles scene!?!? I liked the puppet one better. I hope I can find a dvd of the origonal jedi for this one sucks dog bones.

NormJ
09-24-2004, 07:30 PM
My daughter, five years old at the time, summarized Episode One as well as anything I've heard.

Half way through the movie, she leaned over and said "I like OUR Star Wars better". Of course, she was referring to the classic version. Unfortunately, I can't do her disappointed voice justice over the forum, but you get the idea.

Norm

Nicodemus
09-28-2004, 02:59 PM
Lucas is ASSSSSSSSSSSS, the man is butchering his own work. He is a great producer and can even come up with great stories but he should NEVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER direct anything ever again.

Even in the first three he only directed the first one. The other two he let someone else direct.

Also, I know I should not drop it in his lap but since he is screwing with everything....... the bright blue dot when the escape pod lands on Tattoine in Star Wars: A New Hope, is just a glaringly obvious mistake. Watch the DVD and sit back in awe as the hatch for the escape pod is highlighted in bright *** blue where some one obviously was supposed to either composite something in of track some onto it.

~L~

PS....Pray Speilberg does not relapse into the insanity of messing with a classic. Thank God Indiana Jones was not altered.

hunter
09-28-2004, 06:04 PM
I think mattclary is right. Lucas thinks his audience is 2 years old. He thinks we can't figure out how Vader got to his star destoyer at the end of Empire. What the F*&% happened to "Bring my shuttle." :D

jin choung
09-29-2004, 12:38 AM
DOH!

WTF!

r2 is still fing b&w in ep4 new hope! ack.

and while they addressed obiwan's flickering ls, it's hardly done well....

what a hack job even his reworked works are!

jin

T-Light
09-29-2004, 04:11 AM
Friend of mine managed to get his hands on the laser disk versions of the original trillogy, absolutely fan bl**dy tastic.

He did mention something weird though.

Apparently, his Star Wars (Ep IV) is in fact the 1979 release of the movie, not the original 77. The difference being that due to the films enormous success, they were now working on Empire, the difference in the two versions?...

Lucas had them them place 'Episode IV' at the beginining of the title sequence... in the 77 original, it only said 'A New Hope'.

I was about nine when I saw the movie so I can't say I remember. But, If this is true, he was f*cking with it even back then.

hunter
09-29-2004, 08:41 AM
Friend of mine managed to get his hands on the laser disk versions of the original trillogy, absolutely fan bl**dy tastic.

He did mention something weird though.

Apparently, his Star Wars (Ep IV) is in fact the 1979 release of the movie, not the original 77. The difference being that due to the films enormous success, they were now working on Empire, the difference in the two versions?...

Lucas had them them place 'Episode IV' at the beginining of the title sequence... in the 77 original, it only said 'A New Hope'.

I was about nine when I saw the movie so I can't say I remember. But, If this is true, he was f*cking with it even back then.
Oh it's true. I don't remember it saying A New Hope in 77 But I remember the 79 release and thinkin' Episode IV A New Hope, where did that come from?

Karmacop
09-29-2004, 10:35 AM
Thw whole episode thing, as far as I know, goes like this. Star Wars was a once off, but when it was such a big success they decided to make sequels. Lucas decided that his Star Wars film was actually somewhere in the middle of the story since they reference the past. Thus, he decided to name call it episode 4, and pretend as though he'd always imagined Star Wars as a set of movies, not a one off.

I don't know how right this is though.

Trawler
09-29-2004, 12:59 PM
I think Lucas missed a bet with the new trilogy. He could have made it an incredibly hip, cutting-edge thing if he would have gone out and found hot young talent to direct and shoot and edit, and of course help write. And the music too, he could have found young composers instead of John Williams who’s just phoning it in now. They could have used Williams’ original themes, but brought them into to 21st century. There really was fantastic potential. So many filmmakers were inspired by the originals that they would have been falling all over themselves to be a part in the new trilogy. But not now... now that Lucas has mangled the franchise. It’s really too bad. It could have been such an incredible commercial success as well as an artistic tour de force. Ah well, what are you gonna do? :rolleyes:

mattclary
09-29-2004, 01:20 PM
Well, hopefully our great (or great-great)-grandkids will get to watch a remake of it when it goes public-domain. Then someone can redo the whole thing in a manner in which it deserves. Hopefully they won't be so frickin PC and Han can shoot first (and last *snicker*).

Intuition
09-29-2004, 03:26 PM
......for me to gripe about Star Wars prequels and GL's butchering of the OT (Original Trilogy).

Why did Luke scream when he let himself fall after his duel with Vader?

I mean his glance was really blank and cynical. Its as if he wanted to die or if maybe the force helped him see he'd be ok.....either way the added scream destroyed any semblance of what the REAL director meant.

George can't direct. Its plain and simple. Even Liam Neeson said that if he'd of known George was going to make a film for 12 year olds after seeing Episode1 he would have not played the character.

blah....don't get me started....I've had made every complaint made here and some.

Its like I am not that hung up on Star Wars but I am tired of HollyWood thinking they can make no brainer movies and dumb down the populace and Georce is only helping them believe that. GAH...ok I'll stop.

T-Light
09-29-2004, 04:17 PM
"GAH...ok I'll stop." Intuition

No Don't stop!

This is all a bit vague but I have an old tv programme on tape "making of a trillogy" or some such stuff.

Mr GL talks of how the original bar sequence in "Star Wars" wasn't good enough and how they where making ROTJ with a scene in Jabba's palace where they could really go to town with a lot more money.

Within a few years they were re-making (rebuilding) the effects with "Star Wars" because they had the technology and the new computer generated effects..

Why the h*ck didn't they remake the bar scene in EP IV if he was being so honest??? Why instead did we get the outtakes from Jurrasic Park with overdubbed cute high pitched squeeks at innoportune moments?

Money, Money, Money.
I'm with Jin, They make it, they don't utilise it, they don't spend it.

I'm also with the chaps earlier on in this post who mentioned all the folk originally involved with the project. A couple of weeks ago when we were watching the original we were deliberatley trying to spot the bad effects (30yr old effects competing with sinbad, Ray Harryhausen etc) (Not that I'm against Harryhausen's stuff - but you get my drift).

There was little to spot, Those chaps were innovators in the extreme, the sets where magnificent, the effects where unparralled, this was truly groundbreaking work.

All the best to anyone involved in those years, including 'GL', after all, he was the guy who put them all together.

From Ewoks on, I haven't been a great fan.

1, A few will disagree 'episode one' was awfull.

2) by comparison, Two, was, (admit it) a bit OK. No true Star Wars Fan could turn their nose up at the last scene of that movie (starships rising( Pure SW))

It had its probs, unneccessary love scenes, kids learning to be Jedi's and Ewan McGregor taking advice from kiddies ( I like McGregor but he seems a tad staid in these films). But hey, they did take the mick out of the first film with a games console in a bar showing the racer scene (which I'm sure I wasn't alone when watching the film that this was only being made for the games market).

Here's to the episode Three
Cheers

Brent

tsmelker
09-29-2004, 06:53 PM
Have any of you watched ROTJ all the way to the end? I coudn't believe my eyes when, at the end where Luke's father Anakin joins Yoda and Ben Kenobi in the heavenly realms, the "old" Anakin Skywalker is replaced with a shaggy headed Hayden Christensen wearing the ghostly beige robes! And the "ethereal glow" around him looks like crap! I'll just bet that Alec Guinness is rolling over in his grave!

Curse you, George Lucas, for allowing your head to get so big that you actually think you ARE God! While you're at it, why don't you "improve" the ending of Casablanca, or perhaps Citizen Kane- you know, those films are such downers, and their special effects just don't hold up well now, thanks to all the "technological marvels" your ilk has brought about. And thanks so much for turning our beloved Star Wars franchise into a clone of that wonderful MST3K stinker, "Space Mutiny"!

My Rating for this latest bungling of the Star Wars Trilogy: About a gazillion thumbs down...

jin choung
10-01-2004, 03:23 AM
finally got around to watching rotj on dvd....

first time i saw it again in a long while. noticed that there appeared to be less additional shots than the other movies and that's a good thing.

why doesn't luke have his ls with him when he sees jabba.... no good justification.... he couldn't make it past the metal detectors?

geez...

how in the world did these people do these fx with optical printers?! that space battle is hard enough in after fx... i can't imagine what the optical department had to go through... truly hats off.

one neat showoff i noticed this time is the saber fight progressing as the camera tracks alongside and looks at them through a metal staircase with fine 'interlaced' metal... having to draw the lightsaber glow through those (or at least rotoing the interlaced metal) must not have been much fun!

still a cool shot - the whip around 90 degree turn luke does on a speederbike alongside a stormtrooper.

still a cool shot - that guy luke throws off the bike and he hits the tree... that looks like a real guy! no synthespian... i think they really musta chucked a guy at a red wood... UPSIDE DOWN to add insult to injury!!! hahaha!

salacious crumb... every time he laughs, i laugh! ooooAAAAAHAHAHAHA!

leia... gold bikini... still does it for me. such an important part of my puberty and my 'discovering myself'.... and it still does it for me.... and i think her proximity to and the implications of jabba must've played a huge role in hentai... it's nothing but star wars, blade runner and tentacles with those guys.

wicket ATTACHED to hans leg... that's hilarious.

you can really tell that very staid camera move done on vistavision plates... basically any shot of a hangar (imperial or rebel) has that very recognizable move!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

what the hell is the logic with the ghost shot? yoda and ben are old. why is anakin young?! cuz he's just freshly dead?!

he shoulda really just tempted karma and get rid of alec guiness too and stick in scotty mcscotterson and a young digital yoda (who turns out is quite tall and not at all green... [wouldn't it have been a cool backstory if yoda is the way that he is because he was, for a very long time a slave to the dark side? and that his appearance is as a result of the ravages of the darkside? 'noble' figures are so much more creditable when they've had brushes with the wild side. so he woulda been like a redeemed gollum... but then they put that female yaddle in episode 1 so there goes that idea.]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

a good direction for 7, 8 and 9 would be a 'droid rebellion' plotline although because of the matrix and irobot, that idea is so derivative now.

but lucas' series sooooo begs the question. in rotj, the droids show just as much emotions, devotion and loyalty as humans. yet, they are treated as mere tools and han is a tremendous bigot.

logically, it would HAVE to happen at some point and it strains logic that it hasn't happened yet in the star wars timeline - restraining bolts or not.

'the new republic faces a mysterious threat that seems to be manifesting all over the galaxy. planetary infrastructures are just collapsing and it turns out that its because all the droids are turning against their 'masters'.

that and the storyline in some of the books about the new republic and the remnant imperials banding together to face a threat from outside of their galaxy is a cool way forward.

episodes 1,2 and 3 could have been soooooooooooooo great. in the aristotelian/shakespearean sense, 4,5,6 were COMEDIES.... they had happy endings.

1,2 and 3 had the potential to be the new culture of our times. they could have been epic, greek TRAGEDIES chronicling the dramatic, inevitable fall of a great hero by his hubris - and instead of appealing to kids (as lucas says the first series did), he could have addressed the kids that ended up growing up on his stuff and bring truly ADULT themes and complicated moralities to his work.

what did he have to lose? make it as complex and adult as he dared... he would've made a killing regardless! he didn't DARE ENOUGH!

and everything culminating with the black armor being donned onto a disfigured and corrupt body as the imperial march crescendoes for the first time in the prequels... and the audience can truly take away an experience about how life can turn any one of us into monsters if we let it.

why make it for kids? why such an fing cop-out?

such a wasted opportunity. such a lack of courage.

sigh.

jin

dwburman
10-01-2004, 08:36 AM
My guess for the young anakin showing up in ROTJ is that it is how he apeared before turning to the dark side... Yoda and Obi Wan apear old because they never joined the dark side. It is Anakin that appears, not Vader.

Of course, they could've left it and it would be just fine.

hunter
10-02-2004, 01:06 PM
Why did Luke scream when he let himself fall after his duel with Vader?

I mean his glance was really blank and cynical. Its as if he wanted to die or if maybe the force helped him see he'd be ok.....either way the added scream destroyed any semblance of what the REAL director meant.

I think you need to watch that part again. There is, nor has there ever been a scream... :confused:

TSpyrison
10-02-2004, 02:54 PM
Spaceballs II (http://filmforce.ign.com/articles/552/552814p1.html?fromint=1)

How funny would it be for Mell Brooks to go back and add some special effects to the original Sbaceballs?

Or have Dark Helmets character in the second movie to have a line about Spaceballs 1: special edition "this time we win.."

jin choung
10-02-2004, 05:28 PM
actually,

i just read somewhere that a scream was removed from the fall in the dvd release so it might've been in the 'special editions'....

it would've been awesome if the scream was the 'wilhelm scream' that every stormtrooper and falling nazi utters before their demise.....

jin

hunter
10-03-2004, 01:58 PM
O.K. I stand corrected. I just watched the THX remastered release... No scream.
Special Edition... Scream. I guess I tuned it out. :(
On a side note This is George Lucas' project and he can do whatever he wants with it. :D Sure I wouldn't have made the same choices he did but which one of us hasn't reworked a model or texture or scene ad infinitum and still felt it wasn't good enough? The saying goes, "A work of art is never finished, only abandoned."
Lucas just refuses to abandon it, and that is his right.
When $900 million you have to make a movie as good you will not. hmmmm? weee heee hee hee ha. :D

jin choung
10-03-2004, 07:40 PM
actually,

i really disagree with that sentiment as well... that the original artist has the god given right to continually rework his art to his heart content.

in mass media, that is completely true ONLY BEFORE that work is released.

but once it is released, and especially if that work was HIGHLY successful, that work of art now belongs as much to the fans as it does to the creator.

after all, the creator derived all his power and money directly by the money he earned from these fans who bought THE ORIGINAL work. again - lucas would have had NO ABILITY WHATSOEVER to alter 'his property' if we didn't directly empower him by 'buying into' his work.

arguably, star wars would not make such a splash if it were released the first time at the time and with the changes of the special edition. and even if lucas decides to COMPLETELY change the original works so that they have no redeemable qualities whatsoever, do you doubt his fans will still flock to it?

it is tantamount to abusing his fans.

when a work is released to the masses, it does indeed belong to them as well and any tinkering must be done not with the totalitarian attitude of 'i can do whatever the f i please' but as a CARETAKER of a property. a property that has as many owners as fans, and probably with the attitude that the work is NOT wholly his anymore - maybe make the kinds of changes he would make if the work was done by his dad....

jin

p.s. i realize that amidst a community of artists, this would likely be a highly unpopular opinion. nevertheless, i believe it is the correct one.

Steve McRae
10-05-2004, 08:16 AM
I bought the DVDs and I totally enjoyed them.

they look mint - I was surprised as to the quality - even star wars looked great.

(Note: I don't know if others noticed this but Boba Fett's voice has been changed to the actors that played Jango)

I take them for what they are - Lucas has every right to go back a do whatever he wants to them. There really is'nt anything majorly different. Even the greedo thing I think is way overblown. Watching them will still take you back to the days of playing with your star wars figures and trying to make your lego into x-wings.

I think we should cut him some slack - he has done more in his life time than I think anyone reading this board will ever come close to doing - nothing short of pure brilliance - as business man and as an artist.

Of course I don't I love everything about SW. I cringe at the thought of the ewoks and some of the music at the start of Jedi but overall - come on guys - it's his work. No art is perfect. What have you done that is comparable?